Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
3Daisies
Registered Users

PT question-how to get them to poop in the potty?

My daughter decided for herself to use the potty at 27 months. We celebrated and she picked out some cute underwear that had been collecting dust in her drawer. She will be 31 months next week and ever since she has been doing really well, but she will only poop in a dipe. I know this is a common problem but how to fix? As soon as she needs to poop, she demands a dipe. I encourage her the best I can to at least TRY and sitting on the potty to poop...to no avail. As soon as I can get her to poop in the potty, I plan to ditch the diapers altogether (except for night). And I'm so ready to get rid of the diapers!

If you have/had a kid that did this, how did you finally get them to poop in the potty?

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: PT question-how to get them to poop in the potty?

Squeeze her?? Lol! JK!

It is a common occurance and you can only do so much. When she needs to poop, does she sit on the potty at all? If she does, what do you do?
The reason I ask is that for my youngest, he was embarrassed. So it wasn't that he didn't want to go on the potty itself, it was that he didn't want me in there with him, but since he didn't know how to say(or that it was an option), "Mom can you go please?", it just was reverting to comfort, to what he knows, which is going in a dipe.
So we set him for success. We put 2 special books in there next to his potty. We put a toy he can squeeze(for a little extra push help) and we rewarded up the yin yang when he did go! You'd think he won the super bowl! And he got special "poop suckers"(big tootsie pops) for doing a #2. As opposed to a single m&m for pee.
I guess my point is I would try to find the reason why she doesn't want to go poo on the potty. Is she scared? Is she embarrassed? Does it hurt? Does she feel like she's gonna fall in? Does the poop being flushed bother her?

I do home childcare & my first crop of PTing kiddos was all new, I took alot of cues from parents. One of them told me that even if your child uses a dipe to go #2, that you still should take it to the potty & dump it into there & say to the child "see, poop also goes into the potty." Because maybe they just don't understand if you keep throwing the poo in the trash that poo really does go in the potty because what do we call a "potty", well we call it "potty" not a "poop & potty". Kids are very literal beings. It might be a simple communication thing too.

Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 08-10-2011 at 10:39 AM.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
keowilliams
Registered Users
seller

We are working through a similar problem with DS. Except he won't ask for a diaper, he just runs and hides instead (we are getting past the hiding part now, and having some success on the potty for pooping). Anyway, here's some advice I saw elsewhere. Firstly, is that they ask you for the diaper, don't get it themselves, etc so you know when they have to poop. Which it sounds like you're doing already. Then start taking them to the potty instead of providing a diaper instead.

And there's where the fight comes in I guess. I know DS has had some big fits over sitting on the potty for poopy. It makes him very uncomfortable and agitated. The first few times he was very agitated. I would hold his hand, talk him through it, offer encouragement, etc. Its getting a little easier now though I don't know if we are out of the woods yet.

Since he isn't asking us for a diaper, and its seems unreasonable to go backwards and volunteer a diaper, we have been very firm about him sitting on the potty. He has to sit and try. I will also take off his pants and underwear since I feel like it leaves him with no resort but the potty. I even let him get up and walk around to help get things moving, etc.

We have also introduced 'poopy prizes.' I bought a cheap bag of plastic dinosaurs at our local consignment, and he gets to pick one out every time he poops on the potty. Those have helped. We make a big deal over his accomplishment, and give him the prize. He's just as proud in himself, and also very excited once he's done. He's not quite as thrilled beforehand.

We also used stickers on a sticker chart a while back when we were introducing the potty, getting him to pee. That was helpful as well. We have since let that fall by the wayside, but I do think it helped get him excited about peeing on the potty. Pooping on the potty has been a whole different hurdle to overcome.

Also, I'm not aware of your set up, but with us, using the little potty vs. a seat on the toilet helps a lot. Beyond the fact that it has a splash guard (essential for boys), its lets him move on and off the potty easily by himself. And it is supposed to help with the act of pooping since their legs are planted on the ground and can bear weight as they push, versus the toilet where their legs dangle.

I guess the gist of my advice is to see if you can gently force her through the act. Because that's what it might take. I know that without intervention on our part, my son would probably have continued pooping in his pants until he was 4 or older. He really didn't care, and really did dislike the potty that much.

,Kate
SAHM to Alexander (almost 3) and expecting #2 in Sept.
keowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS would constipate himself if I refused to put a diaper on him. By the end of the day he was in screaming pain, and that was the only time I tried that.

Anyway, after that incident I was just very responsive and put the diaper on, let him poop, took it off immediately. Then there was one day that I was nursing DS2 and DS1 said "I need diaper" and I said, "well, you're going to have to wait" and he gave me this look like, 'I can't wait' and just went to the bathroom on his own on the potty. He came out so proud and said, "I did it!" (I, of course, put the baby down immediately, gave him his reward and lots of hugs and kisses, and let the little one fuss a bit so that he saw I was giving him the attention and not the baby.)

We've had a few accidents (in underpants) since, but generally he'll just go when he has to now. Also, the door has to be closed and mommy can't watch (daddy's allowed to for some reason). I still haven't seen him poop, just wipe up his bottom after he shows me

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pooping in the potty has always been harder for my boys than peeing. I really think it was in their minds. Like Lindsay's - one day the would make it to the potty and poop and be so proud and of course DH and I would make a big deal with lots of hugs, kisses, ect and that was all it took. They were all over three close to 3 1/2
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
3Daisies
Registered Users

Thank you all so much for replying!

Forever, when she poops, she goes in her room and closes the door. So I've told her often, that we can get some books and I'll close the bathroom door and she can sit on the potty (her small dog potty) and poop and when she's finished she can hollar at me. I also have been dumping her poop in the potty forever, she always wants to watch and she says "bye-bye".

I am so afraid she will constipate herself if I don't put a diaper on because she's had some constipation issues in the past where she has become so uncomfortable (crying, crawling on the floor) that I have had to use a liquid suppository. I don't want to go down that road again because it was traumatizing.

The one thing you all have mentioned that I haven't tried is offering to give a special prize if she went in the potty. I could try that....

I wish she would just surprise me and do it on her own, like she did at 27 months when out of the blue she said she wanted to tee-tee in the potty.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally I wouldn't stress about it and give her the diaper to poop in and let it go for a week or two and see what happens

When DD was PLing and poop learning the more pressure I put on DD the worse it got and the longer it took. As soon as I backed off for a week she decided to do it on her own.

I was much more relaxed and go with the flow with the boys and there were no struggles.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of my boys had issues with pooping on the potty initially. I'm still not sure what DS1's issue with it was, but DS2 was just disgusted at how it looked in his cute little potty chair and hated doing it there. The big potty was just a little too much for him, but he didn't like the ring insert at all either.

With DS1 I put him in boxers and explained to him that if he pooped while wearing them that it would roll down his leg. He did it. Once. Outside. While wearing jeans. That was the last time he pooped anywhere other than a regular commode.

DS2 didn't even get underwear until this week and he started potty training in May. He would wait until the last possible minute (as in it was coming out right then) and then let me put him on one commode to finish. He would hold it for a few days sometimes and I would give him juice to encourage a BM. Then, one night he had a BIG accident while his beloved baby sitter was present. She took him to the bathtub and everything. Since then he has been more than happy to sit on the commode and take care of business. It took him about 6 weeks. Now he is getting to be ok with using other commodes. We are almost there!

I tried cajoling and bribing BOTH boys. Offered big rewards. I think DS1 was punished a bit by his father. (we were divorced) They both had to experience an unhappy (but natural) mess to convince them that using the potty wasthe best choice.