Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
IUD Insertion Experiences?

I'm going to be getting my IUD soon, namely the Mirena. I've read tons of insertion stories, but they seem to all be from women who have never had a vaginal birth. Can anyone comment on the pain or lack thereof during insertion if you already had a vaginal birth beforehand? I know everyone is different, but I would like to hear whether it was painful for others.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Re: IUD Insertion Experiences?

I had my Mirena placed 6 weeks after my youngest son was born vaginally. It was super easy. About 10 mins before the proceduce the nurse offered my Advil for potential cramping and I took it cause I am a wimp. But really, having it placed was no different than a typical pap except it takes longer. It was slightly uncomfortable, mostly because I don't enjoy people having their hands in there. Oh, and the stuff they clean your cervix with is really cold. The "sterile speculum" exams that I had to have while pregnant hurt way worse, and I only had slight cramping for the rest of the day. I think it's easier if you've has a semi recent vaginal birth.
nicolemariep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not really painful. Dilating the cervix hurt a bit but mot as much as stretch and sweeps.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had Mirena twice, both times after vaginal deliveries. For mine, they set it up just like a pap, but then my OB counted to three and had me cough hard on the count of three (when she put it in). I felt one strong cramp when that happened, and that was it. I was a little mildly crampy the rest of the night, but nothing major.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
chunkydunk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have had 3 mirenas placed and each was about the same. A bit uncomfortable and right when they grab my cervix I get a cramp. I cramp a bit the rest of the day.

Not sure if it's really normal, but I have bleeding for a few days after. Nothing heavy though.

Earn swagbucks and get gift cards! Sign up today!
chunkydunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
TwoDarlings
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of my DDs were vaginal births and my experience with Mirena was the same as PP. It was quick, mildly uncomfortable and I had very minimal cramps afterwards. I want to say they lasted less than an hour. Overall, a better experience then I was expecting.
M and and mommy to darling #1 L and darling #2 G

Own your own business? Join me on Facebook for tips to optimize your biz!
TwoDarlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for all the stories! I had mine put in this morning. It really wasn't much worse than a pap smear. Just crampy. I would have to say that the worst part was when the doctor put some antiseptic spray on my cervix. Ouch did that burn! But even that wasn't that bad. What a relief. After reading all these stories elsewhere by women who had never had a vaginal delivery saying that it was the worst pain, I was a little concerned. I guess having two kids does enough damage to your cervix that a little IUD is no biggie. LOL!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Glad you had a positive experience. I had horrible cramping, to where I needed pain killers, for 3 days and regular cramps for a week!

I also had mood changes and violent thoughts, as well as hairloss, bloating and weight gain. It was the worst thing ive ever done, and had it removed 3 months after insertion. I hope that doesn't happen to you or anyone though, but it's important to know so you can be on the lookout for side effects over the next month or so.