Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Dr suggested giving water to ebfed 3 month old

...and for no good reason. Ds is gaining weight and height just fine. We dont use bottles and have never used formula. My milk supply is extremely responsive and he gets more than enough milk. Should i feel badly about choosing not to give my son water? I dont understand why this dr even suggested it! We go to a pediatrician practice with 3docs, 1 man and 2 women. We saw the female docs for the first three apts and no one mentioned bottles or water and I felt they respected my decision to ebf, especially bc ds has grown so well (6lbs 5oz @ birth, 13lbs 1oz as of yesterdays 4 month apt). But then the male doc suggests water? Of course this was a month ago at the 3 month appt, but we had our 4 month appt yesterday with one of the female docs and water was not mentioned once.

Any thoughts? Am I making the wrong call by choosing not to give water?

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

I was told by both peds for DS1 to not offer water. In fact, when I told my ped at his 6 month check that I'd introduced water in a sippy cup, he sowed extreme concern about diluting my son's system. (not that ds was drinking more than a few drinks!) So I can't comprehend why a ped would SUGGEST water, esp. with a baby so young...

Any typos are probably a combination of my phone and poor proofreading!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Dr suggested giving water to ebfed 3 month old

I think some people just think babies need water. My mom asked me about giving my DSs water at around that age as well and we were also ebf. I figure they nursed on demand and my milk would adjust to what they needed. Both boys perfectly fine without it. I introduced it around 5-6 months old in a sippy cup, but that wasn't for anything other than to have something cheap in the cup that wouldn't cause a mess, leave a stain or spoil in a couple hours while they learned how to use a cup. Maybe ask the doc why? I know my mom just thought they needed the extra hydration but I was always under the impression that it would be very easy to give too much water and make them sick from hyperhydration.
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My doc always said no water until after 6 months - even if they were formula fed and not ebf.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think I even gave DS water until after his first birthday. He was EBF, and he never needed it!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
kristen0685
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ped had me give my ebf son a couple ounces of water because he was having some GI problems, and he thought it would help him go to the bathroom easier. But I was told only a couple ounces a day and I don't believe this was recommended to everyone.
kristen0685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know we (at WIC) discourage moms to give water whether they are breastfeeding or formula feeding until after at least 6 months. I would seriously have asked why he suggested it?

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm wondering if your ped knows BM is lie 98% water. Lol. Absolutely unnessary! Follow your instincts and just smile.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

In the WHO/CDC definition of "exclusive breastfeeding" (which is recommended for the first 6 months), it means only breast milk - no water, juice, formula, cereal, solids, nothing. Vitamins and medicines are allowed under the definition. But water is not. I can't see why a doc would recommend that.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeSpade View Post
I was told by both peds for DS1 to not offer water. In fact, when I told my ped at his 6 month check that I'd introduced water in a sippy cup, he sowed extreme concern about diluting my son's system. (not that ds was drinking more than a few drinks!) So I can't comprehend why a ped would SUGGEST water, esp. with a baby so young...

Any typos are probably a combination of my phone and poor proofreading!
Thats what I thought! wow. maybe time for a new doctor. or at least to request the women.