Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dr suggested giving water to ebfed 3 month old

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_oz_girl View Post
I think some people just think babies need water. My mom asked me about giving my DSs water at around that age as well and we were also ebf. I figure they nursed on demand and my milk would adjust to what they needed. Both boys perfectly fine without it. I introduced it around 5-6 months old in a sippy cup, but that wasn't for anything other than to have something cheap in the cup that wouldn't cause a mess, leave a stain or spoil in a couple hours while they learned how to use a cup. Maybe ask the doc why? I know my mom just thought they needed the extra hydration but I was always under the impression that it would be very easy to give too much water and make them sick from hyperhydration.
I did ask why and he said that it wasnt a necessity just a way of 'giving me a break from nursing' or 'teaching the baby to take a bottle for a babysitter.' ummm, Im a sahm and Ive never needed a sitter or a break from nursing!

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieP View Post
My doc always said no water until after 6 months - even if they were formula fed and not ebf.
Thank you (sigh) I knew I wasnt crazy. Lol
Old 08-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
I don't think I even gave DS water until after his first birthday. He was EBF, and he never needed it!
Thats a relief to hear ~ I am hoping to continue to ebf for 6 months ~ but after that the pediatrician is insisting we start purees.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen0685 View Post
My ped had me give my ebf son a couple ounces of water because he was having some GI problems, and he thought it would help him go to the bathroom easier. But I was told only a couple ounces a day and I don't believe this was recommended to everyone.
That makes total sense to me. But in the absence of issues I was just confused by his suggestion
Old 08-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
I know we (at WIC) discourage moms to give water whether they are breastfeeding or formula feeding until after at least 6 months. I would seriously have asked why he suggested it?
Wow. This docs name is Dr. Forti. I figured id put it out there since they are one of the more popular pediatric practices in my area. This is concerning if even wic reccomends against it.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #16
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsmama View Post
I'm wondering if your ped knows BM is lie 98% water. Lol. Absolutely unnessary! Follow your instincts and just smile.
Thanks mama My only worry is that dh might buy into the hype lol
Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #17
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy View Post
In the WHO/CDC definition of "exclusive breastfeeding" (which is recommended for the first 6 months), it means only breast milk - no water, juice, formula, cereal, solids, nothing. Vitamins and medicines are allowed under the definition. But water is not. I can't see why a doc would recommend that.
Wow good info mama Im glad I didnt give him water.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #18
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I started giving DD water from my cup when she started to grab at it. I think, in total, now at 10 months she may have ingested a whole ounce since then. She was around 5 or 6 months old when i first gave it to her. She kept grabbing and it was almost impossible to get a drink without her hands all over it. Now she's over her initial fascination with cups and all things food related. She is ebf, no sippy, no bottle, no food other than my BM. Other than a medical need, babies don't need water. Glad you asked and found out!
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's important outdated info and I wouldn't see the doctor again. It's not HEALTHY for an ebf baby to have a bottle of water. It puts too much pressure on their kidneys for NO reason. I would ask for clarification from the doctor about why he would recommend something that was decided YEARS ago to do more harm than good.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKBee View Post
I did ask why and he said that it wasnt a necessity just a way of 'giving me a break from nursing' or 'teaching the baby to take a bottle for a babysitter.' ummm, Im a sahm and Ive never needed a sitter or a break from nursing!
??? If you wanted to "teach baby to take a bottle", why on earth would you put anything in it but expressed breast milk???

BTW, there are some docs who suggest a bottle with up to a couple of ounces of water per day for formula fed babies when it's really, really hot - it's been in the low - mid 90s here for the last month or more. If a formula-fed baby is not in an air conditioned home (or goes out frequently), sometimes a bit of water is suggested. Otherwise, unless there is some specific health issue as a previous poster mentioned, there is absolutely no reason baby needs it.

Last edited by Sha-nanagins; 08-10-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote