Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Looking for narrow seats...Radian?

I know this has been asked and asked, but I just can't seem to find it with the search. (Why, oh why do I never have good luck using the search feature on DS? )

We want to fit 3 seats across in our Chevy Express Van. The seats were currently have do not do that. We have 2 Graco Nautilus, a Eddie Bower something that will expire in about 2 years and 2 Snugrides (Correction...it is a Safe Seat, not a Snug Ride.). We need to get the babies out of the buckets and into convertibles. Those 2 would be rear facing and the other 3 are all forward facing. My 5 year old is still in a 5pt harness and will be for a while.

What I would really like is to not have the 3 older (front facing) kids all next to each other. So, that would either mean 2 forward with one rear facing in the middle or one forward next to 2 rear facing seats.

I've heard the Radian is the thinnest seat around and the best suited for this. Can someone confirm that this is the case? Is one model better than the other for fitting them in? The biggest difference I notice is the weight limit, but that really isn't a problem with my small kids.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere that sells them off the floor? I'm concerned about ordering online and then them not fitting the way I want. I really wouldn't want to have to ship it back.

Thank you so much for helping me!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 08-10-2011 at 02:50 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: Looking for narrow seats...Radian?

Well I don't know that I am a ton of help but I do feel like the Radians fit awesome in chevy vehicles. They definitely have the thinnest base but the body is wider than the base so not sure how that factors. We have a malibu, 2 kiddos FF in Radian80s and my big kid in a highback booster, but before we got our second Radian we had YDS RF in an Evenflo something with DD in her Radian on one side and DS in his HBB on the other side. I think if you have kids both FF and RF then they puzzle really well together.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Could you give us the ages, weights, and heights of your kids?

The Radian is the narrowest convertible seat on the market. When rear facing it can rest on the seat in front of it so long as the car allows it. You have some pretty wide seats right now so I don't think it will be terribly hard to fit your children in with some seat changes. Where does everyone currently sit and in which seat?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ages and weights (All my kids are small):

Zack - age 5 about 38lbs, 40"
Samantha - age 3.5 about 27/28lbs, guessing the height at 35"
Blake - age 3.5 about 30lbs, guessing height at 37"
Matthew - age 16 months, 18.5lbs, 30"
Joshua - age 16 months, 21lbs 31"

As you can see, even though they are 16 months, they do still fit the height and weight of the buckets, (Snug Rides fit 30lbs and 32in. ETA - It is a Safe Seat, not a Snug Ride. Oops. I had a Snug Ride for my oldest.) but my one twin is about to outgrow it for height. Plus, they are just too old for buckets. And, I do know that some people would still rear face their 3.5 year olds at the weights mine are. We did ERF till over 2, but at this point, they are forward facing. With the littlest, we will probably RF for longer.

Here is the current car set up. We have the 15 passenger van. We do not have the last row in (this would be the 4th row not counting the front seats). So, in the 3rd row (not counting the front), we have one Graco against the window and one Eddie Bower at the opposite end, leaving the middle seat empty. In the second row, we just have my DD in her Graco against the window, leaving the middle and "isle" seat empty. In the first row, we have the 2 babies, one at each end in their Snugrides (Safe Seat, not Snug Ride). We have it this way to put space between the boys in the back row, to allow a good amount of space on the second row to change diapers and have others ride with us if we need to, and to have a seat in between the babies if I need to sit there. The middle seats that are free are very small and don't really fit a person seated there. I squeeze in when I have to, but I have to sit slightly off to the side to fit.

Right now, we can only fit the babies in the first row because it is the only seat that fits the buckets. I don't know if a convertible RF'ing seat will fit in another row or not. But, that also means we can't walk around that front seat from the front if we need to. (I know, I shouldn't be doing that anyway. ) We would really like to be able to condense the kids to two rows, 3 in one and 2 in the other, in case we want to have other people riding with us or in case we have to bring a lot of stuff, like on vacation. (5 kids 5 and under means a lot of gear for trips. ) Oh, plus, we may have more kids.

I think I answered all the questions.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 08-10-2011 at 02:51 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

You gave me the answers I needed. Thanks!

You did great keeping your 3 years olds RF for 2 years. At 3.5, even though they're small, their bones are the same age as any other 3.5 year olds and bone age matters much more than size. Make sure that their seats are tethered, it reduces head excursion (how much their head would fly forward in an accident) by 4-6 inches.

As far as the babies' seats you should look at the convertibles on this list:
http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogco...ded-car-seats/

You should also look at the new Easy Fit 65 that is starting to show up in BRU stores. It is very narrow and RF to 40 lbs. Your babies seem to be slow growers so these seats will probably last them RF for quite some time. The narrower seats are going to give you much more room to work with. You might also consider replacing the Nautilus with a Maestro which is much narrower.

My best suggestion is to go to BRU and try seats in your car to see what fits where. I don't have any experience with your van so I don't know what is going to install well in the different seating positions.

ETA: Make sure that the gear you have in the cargo area is tied down. In an accident, anything that is not restrained is going to become a projectile endangering your restrained children.

Last edited by monica-m; 08-10-2011 at 03:30 PM.
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
christenjoy
Registered Users

More than likely Radians are a great idea. I can easily fit 3 across in any vehicle if I use my Radians. Also, my 8 year old can still be harnessed in the Radian when I want him to be! He is fairly small, about 48# and 49 inches, but I love that I can still harness him when needed. He just moved to a booster in the last 12 months.
christenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote