Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
uofmrocky
Registered Users
seller

Supplementing formula????

I am confused and becoming stressed.... I would like your advice and help. I have exclusively bf and at the end of this month I will be going back to work. My LO will be 3 months and I would like to continue Bfing however, I really don't think I will have the opportunity to pump while at work and if I do, it would only be once during my lunch period. So, I have been contemplating supplementing one or two formula bottles a day while I am at work. What do you think? Is this ok, would you advise me not to do this? If so, what type of formula should I be using?

Advertisement

uofmrocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Supplementing formula????

Unfortunately supplementing with formula turns into a slipper slope ending in no more bf'ing. I would strongly urge yOu to try to build up a good supply before going back and finding time to pump at work more often. Your supply will suffer. No output by pump or baby signals your brain to stop producing. How long are you gone? Most likely if you pump at least twice and nurse a lot when you are home ans thru the night you can make it work. It can work. Just know about nursing strikes and sleep regression. Lots of babies will decrease their input during the day to save up for mama at night. Kellymom.com has some great info.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
poppan
Registered Users
seller

How long will you go without pumping/nursing for? (Counting drive time etc) I'm thinking you might want to ease into it, because otherwise you will be really engorged and that is uncomfortable plus can lead to plugged ducts (not fun).

With my first kids (I had twins) I felt really strongly that I did not want to supplement with formula at all because I did not want to risk my supply. This time around, I'm feeling a little more relaxed and casual about it, I think because I've seen how much my supply can "flex" to the demand. My twins didn't wean until they were over 2.5 years old. By the end we were nursing once a day, then gradually, even once every few days. Yet I still had milk. YMMV, but that was my experience, and for my body at least, I don't think 1-2 bottles of formula a day would affect my supply the rest of the time.

Having said that--I went back to work (part-time though) when YDS was 2.5 months old, he is now 7 months old and we haven't had to supplement at all. I didn't have a big freezer stash, I'm mostly pumping as I go, and I don't pump at work (I go a 6-8 hour stretch without pumping/nursing). I do co-sleep and let him reverse cycle and eat more at night, which I think makes a big difference in maintaining the BFing relationship.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Depending on where you live, you probably have laws that protect your right to pump at work, and in somewhere other than a bathroom. It probably also depends on what kind of work you do whether that will work out very easily.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Depending on where you live, you probably have laws that protect your right to pump at work, and in somewhere other than a bathroom. It probably also depends on what kind of work you do whether that will work out very easily.

My job isn't the type where I can always have regularly scheduled pump breaks, but my supervisors know that I need to pump at least a few times during the day and they can be flexible with me so I'm flexible for them. If I can pump every 2 hours that's a great day but doesn't typically happen, I'll usually go between every 3-4 hours and wait for a slow time where my co-workers wouldn't miss me. In the US, one of the things that passed with the new health care laws at the beginning of this year was a nursing mother's right to pump at work. So no matter what the individual state laws are, federal law protects your right to pump.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
uofmrocky
Registered Users
seller

I appreciate the responses. I am a school teacher and would only be able to pump during my lunch since the other "breaks" (when students are at their special, art, gym and music) are not consistent and can back up to my lunch prep. I wouldn't have 2 or 3 hours between pumping. I would assume on average I would be away from my LO for 9 hours.
uofmrocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

do you know any other teachers in your district that bfed when they returned and how did they handle pumping schedule. I would pump in all specials even if they back up to your lunch and pump at lunch even if the time in between is not the 2-3 hours. Are you teaching elementary were there is recess. Can you work with the other teachers on duty to pump for part of recess (maybe only 10 minutes if recess is 20 minutes) Do you have access to an aide that can monitor the children while you do a pump session. 9 hours a day 5 days a week with only one pump session will impact your supply. I had 3 sets of pump parts so that I could pump quickly without having to take time to wash them after each session. I sterilized them every night.

I supplemented every feed with similac because of my PCOS. I am an OT working in private practice were I pumped 3 times a day in a 11 hour day. My ped recommended either doing similac or enfamil. There are very few things he is picky on this was one of them.
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you might explode if you don't pump Like PPs said. Supplementing is a slippery slope. And for many people (me) pumping is a slippery slope I had to pump the other side at every feeding to get enough for DS. Even then, I still ended up using a few ounces of goat milk right before a year. I think my pump is broken.. half broken. And my boobs can smell a pump a mile away and won't cooperate.

Pumping the other breast when you are at home is how I avoided supplementation
Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

Talk to your principal! They may be able to rearrange the specials schedule for your class or arrange for a permanent sub or para or someone to watch your class for 15 or 20 minutes in the morning or afternoon so you can pump. If your principal gives you a hard time, point them towards the federal law and ask how they will accommodate you. If they still won't help, talk to your union rep. They have to do something to allow you reasonable times to pump (I'd say every 3 hours) - it is not an option for them to say "no."
Old 08-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm not really worried about pumping when I return to work. I don't have great success and will be supplementing starting poetry early on. I've always stuck with the slow flow nipples when doing it. I don't get a lot of streams from my nipples when I pump, so I don't want baby getting it too much easier from a bottle than breast.

Then again, it's only 2 days a week that I worry about thee most, the rest of the week I'm hoping a schedule will be good enough with naps and bed time that I won't need to really supplement at night.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote