Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
MommyToaster
Registered Users

Help me, what is wrong with my son? I'm going insane worrying

I could cry. My 8.5 month old has no problems with our diapers at all now that I've done away with our GroVia AIOs. But this week (we've only been CDing maybe a month?) my 2.5 year old wakes up with a super red and swollen penis and even comes to my room in the middle of the night and whining because of it. During the day it goes back down, at least colorwise and most of the swelling. We even tried a sposie two nights ago with some diaper cream to see if that helped, but he still woke up the same. While I am waiting for the doctor's office to open I wonder if anyone has any experience with something like this? By the time I'm able to get to the doctor's office though late this afternoon (we are a one car family) it will most likely be much much better and I don't know that they'll do anything so I may have to wait until Saturday morning and go to urgent care but I have no idea how to help him in the meantime... *Sigh* I don't think it's the CLOTH since the same happened in the sposie and he gets better during the day while wearing cloth...I'm just baffled. Help!

Advertisement

MommyToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Dutchlish
Registered Users
Formerly: MWally29
seller

Re: Help me, what is wrong with my son? I'm going insane worrying

We had a similar experience with our 2 year old. He would wake up in the morning with a swollen, red penis and complain that it hurt. We took him to the FNP who was not much help, but finally referred us to a urologist. It turns out he had a raging UTI (I can't believe this wasn't tested before we got to this point) which the Dr. believed was due to his redundant foreskin. He had surgery but this didn't fix the issue. Once he PL'ed the problem went away but he still has some issues with his penis. We're seeing a urologist from U of M in a few weeks for suspected meatal stenosis. His stream is very forceful and it goes straight up.

Also, what is your wash routine like? I find that I had to bleach my inserts on a regular basis or the problem would get worse.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this mama. I know how frustrating it can be. Make sure they do the appropriate tests at the doctor's office!

Please PM me if you have any questions!

Good luck!
M. - married to my best friend J. since 2006 ~ liberal, semi-crunchy, vegetarian, babywearing, CDing, Extended RFing, ER RN mama to my greatest loves B. (9/2008), C. (5/2010) and V. (9/2012) and A.(7/2014). Always missing the ones we didn't get to hold.
Dutchlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have to soak my night time dipes in water and now I add a splash of vinegar. It helped a ton and no more red parts! We were getting it from Amonia, do your morning dipes smell strongly of ammonia?

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
MommyToaster
Registered Users

I have never bleached my dipes. I do cold rinse, hot wash with detergent, followed but at least one full hot/cold cycle with no soap but usually do two.

Both kids have awful smelling morning diapers, did with sposies too. I use varying diapers at night and just double up the inserts for the kids so there's no set "nighttime diaper". I wash every morning as my stash is so small I can't go longer without doing so, so they don't sit even a full 24 hours dirty...some days I even have to wash twice. It's already better, he's not screaming when I wipe him now and it's not quite so red and swollen though it's pinker than usual still. By the time I get anywhere to get him checked he'll probably look fine as he has the last few days...*sigh* doctors suck at doing anything when they don't SEE the problem. Maybe I should take pics for them? Though who knows if that'd actually help or hurt (people are so touchy these days).

MWally29 - did your son's redness and all go away by the afternoon everytime or did it linger?
MommyToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hey there, you didnt mention (or maybe i missed it) if you son is intact. In case he is, I would recommend doing some digging and making sure your pedi fully understands intact care and common misdiagnosis regarding the intact penis. this has a lot of good info: http://www.mothering.com/community/f...of-intact-sons

Like pp mentioned redundant foreskin, that is really not a true medical issue nor does a longer foreskin have anything to do with UTIs. Just be prepared to 'school' your pedi, if that is the case. Also, check your wash routine, he may be sensitive to the detergent you are using after a long night in a diaper. You can always add some baking soda to the tub and that will sooth and deal with some of the swelling. HTH and good luck!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Mommyplunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He could have a yeast infection. Going to the doctor would be the best idea but I've read that you can use tea tree oil in his wipes solution and a little in his bath water to help calm down and prevent the yeast from getting worse or coming back. If it's yeast you need to wash your dipes with a 1/4 cup of bleech and do a HOT wash and hot dry. CJ's also makes a cream that helps with yeast, I've never used it but some mommas say it can work better than the perscription that the doctor can write you and if you can't get to the doctor it can help until you can get there.

The morning's are worse because he has more amonia in his urine and that really hurts and causes more irratation. It can be harder to detect on little boys in the earlier stages but a doctor would def know what to look for.

As for taking pics for the doctor go ahead and do it, they see pics of medical conditions all the time and it might help show them what you can see in the morning that might not be as severe in the afternoon. You can see tons of pics on google or youtube about medical contions. If it's not yeast then they def need to check for a UTI. I'm not a doctor or anything but after 3 kids you kind of get a feel for your kiddos and the illness's they come across. Trust your gut, if you feel that there is something wrong then you're prolly right.
I am now blessed to be a SAHM to my 3 LOs R (1/1/99), E (4/7/02) and L (4/8/09) and very lucky to be with the love of my life where not only is he the father to my children but my best friend and hero. I follow a celtic pagan tradition and I'm becoming crunchier by the day. I enjoy knitting, sewing and making things with my hands.
Mommyplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
happymama&wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are concerned that it will get "better" by the time you see the doctor, take a picture of it when it is really bad and then show the doctor the picture.

My pedi is the best. She hands out her cell phone number to all her clients and if there is ever a problem like that or a weird rash, we just text her a picture and ask if we need to be seen. It doesn't matter, day, night, weekend, I've even seen her on holidays! She'll just meet us at the office and she's made house calls for several of my friends.