Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Anybody else's kid run high fevers, even with minor illness?

My DS runs high fevers even with simple viruses. A prime example... DS started running a fever late Monday night/early Tuesday morning. It hovered around 102.5 until yesterday--when it topped out at 104.7 and that was AFTER a dose of motrin 2 hours earlier. It is not uncommon, we're finding, for him to run fevers of 103-104 when he is ill. It's disconcerting, but we take him to the pediatrician and they find nothing wrong, take a WBC count and yesterday, for example, it was 12,000 which is in the normal range for viral illness. His immune system has been tested, and everything has been normal.

So, I'm coming to believe that he just has a strong immuno response, and runs high fevers. I run fairly high temperatures with minor illnesses--generally around 102, though in my early 20's it was very common for me to run 103-104 for both bacterial and viral illnesses (I had problems with chronic tonsilitis and bronchitis until my tonsils were removed).

Anybody else have a kid that runs high fevers? do you just alternate tylenol & motrin? i can't get DS to drink cold liquids or eat popsicles to help bring the temps down. i do get in the shower with him and run tepid water to help bring temps down when the medication isn't working alone.

He woke up with no fever this morning, so hopefully I'm seeing the tail end of this virus.

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anybody else's kid run high fevers, even with minor illness?

all of my children typically run higher fevers when ill and teething. It is not unusual for my children to run 102 while teething, although I had a doc tell me that wasn't possible...but alas, it is for my kiddos.

I find though that my children are over their illness a lot faster than the average joe, and I attribute it to the illness. I try not to dose 3 out of 4 of my children until the fever gets to about 103, because the fever is there to do a job, and that is to irradicate the illness inside of their body. So I let it run its course as much as possible. One out of my 4 has seizures that are triggered by fever, so I treat the second his temp goes above 99...he is epileptic, but so far the seizures appeared to be febrile until this last one...so because of that, I do my best to keep his fevers at bay.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
mommajenn13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Me and my DD are the same. I have a very high immune response to illness. I got the flu (tested positive) about 2 years ago and it last 2 days. I had fevers of 104 and thought I was dying for one day, then woke up without a fever but felt like I had been hit by a truck. Then the next day I was fine!

My DD always has high fevers after an extremely busy day, or a small illness. She usually kicks the illness quickly. My DH and DS on the other hand, get sick for like 3 weeks with a low fever. Ugh. I prefer to beat illnesses quickly! I work in a hospital so I have a strong immune system.

Oh and we don't medicate fevers until they get over 102. Like the PP said, the fever is there for a reason. Though we don't want them to have brain damage, so there is a limit. We do lukewarm baths, and if they are in pain (obviously) we will give Tylenol/Motrin. I find they get over it much faster without medication for just a fever.

Last edited by mommajenn13; 08-11-2011 at 09:09 AM.
mommajenn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ds does. and he has febrile seizures. three times in the last 2 months, one time he had an ear infection the other two we have no clue why he even had a fever.`
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
jlcohen
Registered Users

My Mood:
DD (almost 3) does. Most of her illnesses only involve a high fever. She typically runs at 102.8 with tylenol and motrin but has gotten as high as 106. She also suffers from febrile seizures and is on anti seizure meds because they happen so often. We alternate motrin and tylenol and use wet rags to cool her off in between dosages. And she also takes a 2nd seizure medication during these times as well

co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, extended rear-facing, cloth diapering, delayed vaccinating, part-time working mama of three sweet peas
jlcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
carlaross
Registered Users
seller

My toddler does. Every time he has a bug or cuts teeth, he runs 104+. The drug companies are conservative in their dosing instructions - to protect themselves. Usually you can give a higher dose than what is on the bottle. Ask your ped what dose of Ibuprofen you should give him. For instance, for my LOs weight, the bottle says to give 1.875, but that never takes care of his high fever. Nor does alternating with Tylenol. My ped says for temps over 102, to give 2.5 of ibuprofen (which is 1.25 twice).
carlaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcohen View Post
DD (almost 3) does. Most of her illnesses only involve a high fever. She typically runs at 102.8 with tylenol and motrin but has gotten as high as 106. She also suffers from febrile seizures and is on anti seizure meds because they happen so often. We alternate motrin and tylenol and use wet rags to cool her off in between dosages. And she also takes a 2nd seizure medication during these times as well
if ds has another in the next month the dr will be recommending anti seizure meds. his average 103-106
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
One of mine does. Around 104-105 but we dont treat unless she is uncomfortable or in pain (think ear infections)

When we do treat we do tylenol and motrin alternating. But we have never dealt with febrile seizures, so i am sure in that case I would treat over 103 ish.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My middle dd is crazy with fevers. It's often at 105-106. Low for her is like 102. It's nuts.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My oldest does. 104+ anytime he has a fever. Highest was 105.6. Scary stuff.