Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

NB weight questions.

How much weight did your LO lose after birth?

How long did it take for him/her to regain?

I'm trying not to stress, as I feel my daughter is doing great. She has many, many (20 or so) wet/soiled diapers a day. She nurses on demand and I have a massive oversupply and OAL. I pump before feeds/block feed, her output leads me to believe she is getting proper foremilk/hindmilk. Anyways, she was born 8lbs 3oz, and today at almost 2wks she weighed in at 7lbs 11oz on a different scale.

I had a very difficult pre-birth where I was given over 5 litres of iv fluid and other iv fluids on top of that. I'm wondering if this could have effected her birthweight?

Tell me I'm needlessly worried.
I have never given a bottle, and won't, though I have an sns if absolute need be. I've got nearly 200oz of ebm frozen and 30oz of colostrum. I'm really afraid her paediatrician is going to suggest supplementing and I need some sort of emotional reassurance.

Thanks for reading. ( ._.)

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
The iv can absolutely affect her weight. As long as baby is gaining and not losing, all is good.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree with PP and your thoughts that fluids can "plump" the baby up giving a false birth weight which can lead to "losing too much weight" according to the docs/nurses and then they push formula.

My experience with my first was I was at the hospital for 6 hours before he was born and received tons of fluids. He was 8lbs 7oz. I don't remember what he lost down to but I didn't have to supplement.

My 2nd was born 40 min after checking in so no time for fluids. He was 7.15.

My 3rd was born 30 min after check in and was 7.4.

So I think my first baby was plumped up a little by the fluids.

But like PP said as long as baby is gaining and having lots of wet/dirty diapers you are fine! Congrats on the new baby!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Abbaloosa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: NB weight questions.

My first was born at 6lb 4 oz, left the hospital at 6lb 6oz, 3days old was 6lb 10 oz. Never lost anything. I was on IV fluids overnight and had a c/s in the morning with him. Second was born at 7lb 4 oz, left hospital at 6lb 15 oz, and 2 wk checkup was over 8 lbs. Scales can be wrong though....DS#2 was weighing 5lbs at the 2 wk checkup until they checked the batteries and found it was almost dead.

A friend of mine had her baby weigh in same as her birthweight at the 2 month checkup...that's when they had her start supplementing. Come to find out...when she cried she never had tears and she nursed almost constantly.

I would not be worried yet if she were one of mine...especially if she has plenty of wet/dirty diapers.
Abbaloosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

dd was 7lb 0oz at birth...12 hours later she was 6lb 12oz.

2 days later 6lb 12oz
2 weeks 7lb 7oz
1 month 10lbs
2mo 14lbs
4mo 17lbs
6mo 21lbs
9mo 22lbs
11mo 23+lbs

I was on iv fluids for 9 hours before she was born

she had a hard time latching on for the first 24-36 hours...but definately gained it back

I wouldnt worry...like you said it is a different scale too
Swag with me! Bing it!

Last edited by stevensmom; 08-09-2011 at 03:18 PM.
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
She sounds ok. I would think the worst it would come to would be you using your own freezer stash in the SNS to help her get more. I think you would only need that if she is not latching effectively or is really sleepy.
However with that many wet/dirties I can't imagine she is not taking enough milk in! Her birthweight might have been artificially boosted by extra fluids, she is probably just fine.
Can you check her weight again in a week? That will give you a better idea of her current gain.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think she sounds just fine! My DS lost a pound.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I guess I didn't answer how much my lo's lost.
Ds 1 birth: 7-15, lowest wight 7-0, took 3 weeks to get back up to 7-13. A slow start but ok. We did a little supplementing by cup with my milk for a few days.
Ds2 birth: 7-9, lowest weight 6-14, don't remember exactly but he was at birth weight or above at 2 weeks. Chunker.
Ds3 birth: 8-5, 3 days 7-9, 10 days 7-10, 13 days 7-8, 18 days 7-7, 23 days 7-11, 27 days 7-15, etc -since then he has been gaining about an ounce a day (good) and is currently 8 weeks and nearly 10 lbs (on my scale, not a baby scale but he doesn't need te exactness of a baby scale anymore.)
Ds3 had trouble latching due to high palate and slight upper lip tie. I did supplement him with my own pumped milk, at first with a small cup, and when he was 3 weeks old switched to the bottle. Around 1-2 weeks old I had low supply since he was not nursing effectively I stopped producing enough. My supply came back fine with frequent nursing and pumping. Since he was 6 weeks he has not needed any supplemental pumped milk, just nurses. He has never had formula. If he didn't need it, your baby shouldn't!

aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
ChocoChoco
Registered Users

Keep faith in your diaper count! My LO was born at 6 lbs 8 oz and dropped to 5 lbs 14 oz when we left the hospital 3 days later. I had a c-section and the fluids from the IV.

Every single nurse and doctor in the hospital was stressing me out over her weight loss despite her good diaper output and our successful breastfeeding. Fast forward to the pediatrician and she did the same to stress me out, because my LO was only 6 lbs 2 oz at 2 weeks. She never suggested formula, but I could tell it was on the tip of her tongue.

Bottom line is that my LO is now packing on the fat and the ounces and my DH and I have no concerns despite other's opinions. I think the docs and nurses can do more harm instead of just being encouraging and supportive!

ChocoChoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Well I will give you my kids stats BUT take them with a grain of salt because I have been told that my kids aren't the norm.

DD1 - Birth Weight 8 lbs 1 oz left the hospital at her birth weight (apparently NOT NORMAL) Was something like 8 1/2 pounds at her 1 week appt

DS - Birth Weight 8 lbs 2 oz left the hospital at 7 lbs 14 ounces and was like 8 lbs 3 oz by his 1 week appt (12 pounds at his 2 month appt)

DD2 (newbie!) - Birth Weight 8 lbs 2 oz left the hospital at 7 lbs 12 ounces and was 8 lbs 6 ounces at her 1 week appt (12 ounces in 5 days!). She is currently 11 pounds 6 ounces and will be 6 weeks on Thursday.

I have BIG babies that gain weight out the gate really fast and then slow down around 8 months and thin out at around 2 or 3. I think they like to see birth weight regained by 2 weeks but that is just a general, if she has good output of pee and poop I would not be concerned UNLESS she starts losing weight OR she plateaus because then it could be something like a malabsorption issue etc. (I had to have DS tested for everything under the sun because after 2 months he began LOSING weight and could not gain and ended up being 16 pounds at a year old after being 12 pounds at 2 months) His ended up being an issue with digesting certain foods.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote