Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
bpure8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Weekly Chat December 12th - 18th

New thread up!

Sorry I wasn't around at all last week. Figure the least I can do it start our new thread

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weekly Chat December 12th - 18th

It has been so quiet around here. I guess we are all so busy with babies and the holidays and such. I took an infant sign language class this weekend. I also sat through an informational meeting on elimination communication (EC). It was cool but I dont think I can do it full time.
My husbands division at work is being bought out by another company and they showed them the new benefits package. It totally sucks! almost a thousand dollars a month to cover our family on medical!!!! That is crazy and we can not afford it. We are looking for other options.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can I add a purely selfish QOTW?

What do you do to nurture your relationship and stay connected with DH/SO when you have small children/babies that need so much of your time?
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersrose View Post
It has been so quiet around here. I guess we are all so busy with babies and the holidays and such. I took an infant sign language class this weekend. I also sat through an informational meeting on elimination communication (EC). It was cool but I dont think I can do it full time.
My husbands division at work is being bought out by another company and they showed them the new benefits package. It totally sucks! almost a thousand dollars a month to cover our family on medical!!!! That is crazy and we can not afford it. We are looking for other options.
I hope you can find something soon!
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
Can I add a purely selfish QOTW?

What do you do to nurture your relationship and stay connected with DH/SO when you have small children/babies that need so much of your time?
Been wondering about this as well. We have had an ongoing "who can make baby smile with silly faces" contest where we are actually scoring points and keeping a running total. It's been interesting because the odd competitiveness of it and the fact that we are so sleep deprived has led to us just laughing with complete abandon, which just puts you in such a good mood for the rest of the night. My husband works a lot, he is the boss and thus although he can get away with being a little late for work if he needs to stay here a bit longer, leads to lots of evening work and phone calls, issues, etc. Sometimes it's until midnight. We don't have as much time as I would like so I am really just trying to make the part we have together joyful. I think that the days when we find something funny in this leads us to be more joyful with each other, and thus closer. I know I am much more interested in the physical intimacy, etc, when it just seems like we are each fun to be around. That of course nurtures a relationship in it's (important) way as well. We are also, every single night, after the baby goes to bed for the one guaranteed more than two hour stretch, having a glass of wine and talking with each other. Sometimes we talk about our days, sometimes we talk about abstract things or pointless things, but we are just talking. It reminds me of when you are first in a relationship and you have SO MUCH to talk about because you are getting to know each other, and you are generally younger, so you have lots of dreams and goals. We're trying to recapture a little of that, each night, just because we are still in love, do still appreciate the intellect of each other, and want that to last.

Not sure if that helps at all or not. The competitive silly face contest is so so so dumb but somehow is also hilarious. For those of you who have older kids, try it out and keep the scoring going. I bet the kids will be better than you! Maybe first prize for a week of competition can be choosing a fun movie to watch - maybe you can time the movie on a weekend where the baby is sleeping as well, and you can snuggle up with your husband and remember what it's like to just feel that warm body you love so much next to you?
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
moonpuppyswifey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Amberrose- hope you find something soon! That's crazy!

Marchmama2010- Good question Haven't quite figured that out 100% yet. We try to have alone time at night after Landon has gone to sleep (which usually just amounts to lying in bed talking before we go to sleep) and we usually have split second subtle touches or looks here and there in passing throughout the day (when he's home on lunch or when I'm cooking dinner for example) which kind of helps keep the connection a bit, makes me remember that there's more to our relationship than just being parents We also like to talk about and reminisce about when we were young and dating, we just the other night watched the movie we saw on our first date

Recently I've been excited about the possibility of staying at home almost full time, just working one day a week. We're waiting for the VA to get back to us on how much disability DH gets (we think he could get a lot, he has issues with his back, knee, basically all joints, liver from an accident, etc), it's been a year already that his paperwork has been in process and we can't wait to hear. If he gets close to 100% we may just be able to swing it for me going part time AND he could quit and go to college (which has been his dream for a while, the GI bill will help), which would be amazing. So please for us!

We did half of our christmas on Saturday, my brother was in town with his wife and my nephew from Georgia so it was great to see them (though his wife don't get along that well with everyone so that was a bit stressful but tried not to let it bother me) but the kiddos had a great time and DD was very greatful for all of her gifts which made me very proud

Last edited by moonpuppyswifey; 12-12-2011 at 03:44 PM.
moonpuppyswifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Stolen from DH's facebook:

Thirty years ago, this outfit was purchased for my sister Leanne. She never got to wear it; but my mother, sentimental lady that she is, kept it -- brand new -- for all these years. Here we are three decades later, and it is worn for the first time by her niece, Ivy Leanne.

hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Today Ivy had her last round of two month shots (they ran out of the hep b vac.) She did much better with it this time.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
BrandNewMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

QOTW: That's a good one...it's hard to remember sometimes that I'm a wife as well as a mother. Z takes up so much of my time and requires so much attention that it's easy to be lazy with DH and I's relationship. We do make sure to talk and cuddle in bed before we go to sleep most nights (sometimes Z is up well past when DH needs to be asleep). Like Erin said, just subtle touches whenever we are around each other during the day. Always remembering to say "I love you" and "Thank you" is important. We went out for our anniversary to a nice sushi restaurant...that was nice. I imagine we will expand as Z gets a little older and isn't eating so often

AFM: I'm unsure what to do for Christmas family gatherings. At Thanksgiving Z was definitely off limits as he was only 3 weeks old and several family members were getting over being sick. Now at Christmas Z will be 7 weeks old and I'm not sure just how much passing around I'm comfortable with. How are you all handling Christmas pass arounds with little ones?
BrandNewMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote