Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Elephant bladder....

...that is all that has seemed to happen with learning to use the potty so far.

DS tells me when he poops and pees in or on a diaper and doesn't like diaper changes anymore. I just take his diaper off at home and although he's pooped once and peed once on his own, mostly he just holds it, and holds it, and holds it, until I put on a diaper. I have to put a diaper on him eventually because he is either going to daycare or its time to go to bed. If he does go before we get a diaper on him, he goes on the floor usually somewhere next to the potty. He otherwise will happily go to the bathroom with any member of the family and sit on the potty for 10 minutes or more reading a book or looking down between his legs to see where the pee-pee is going to come out. Readiness signs, right?

I have tried putting a trainer on him on the way to day care and stay a little while to try to see if he'll go to the potty. Just to make sure it is not me, DCP will take him to the potty just after I leave. He doesn't go on the potty and eventually goes in the trainer a little. Today he pooped in his trainer.

Because he is holding it so much, his nap time diapers are starting to fail when we have never had issues before. I really don't want him to get an infection or something because he is holding it for so long.

I'm really trying to hard to have a laid back approach but this is so frustrating. I'm planning to sew up a few more trainers and just keep changing him to keep him dry. I dunno. Any other thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by marvelous; 08-11-2011 at 11:39 PM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Elephant bladder....

there is a condition called mickey mouse bladder, is that what you are scared of? dealing with? or is he just holding it too long?
my sister had this MM bladder and had a surgery to correct it. she now is having complications (15 years later) so, don't let him hold it too long!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mickey mouse bladder???? I'll have to look that up. I think he is just holding it for a long time because when we was in diapers, he was wet and got changed on a normal basis, ya know, every couple of hours.

Just trying to transition from all that holding it to him putting it in the potty. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If he's just being stubborn- have you tried running the water? Or sprinkling his thigh or foot with warm water? Hard to resist warm water!! If you know he has to go, I would just offer and reoffer every five minutes or so. maybe he'll accidentally go?

Can you give him more liquids, so you have more pee to catch?

Mine didn't do this fun trick, so I am just brainstorming...
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it's called diverticulated blatter.. or something. where your bladder has lobes. if you hold your pee too long after this is repaired you can cause it to re-lobe or something. I'm not really versed just know my sister isn't supposed to hold her pee a long time.
if its just stubborn i don't know i am in a similaar place w/ ds
Old 08-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopstermomma View Post
If he's just being stubborn- have you tried running the water? Or sprinkling his thigh or foot with warm water? Hard to resist warm water!! If you know he has to go, I would just offer and reoffer every five minutes or so. maybe he'll accidentally go?

Can you give him more liquids, so you have more pee to catch?

Mine didn't do this fun trick, so I am just brainstorming...
I think it is plain ole stubbornness or 'I just don't want to do this right now.' I'll try those tricks, couldn't hurt.

Quote:
it's called diverticulated blatter.. or something. where your bladder has lobes. if you hold your pee too long after this is repaired you can cause it to re-lobe or something. I'm not really versed just know my sister isn't supposed to hold her pee a long time.
if its just stubborn i don't know i am in a similaar place w/ ds
Ohhhh, okay, that explains Mickey Mouse bladder if the lobes are on either side. Gotcha. No, I think he is just holding it because he'd rather go in his nice cushy diaper that he is used to. So, yeah I guess we are in the same place with our LO, lol! I was just seeing if anyone had additional suggestions that perhaps I hadn't thought of.

Oh, and just this evening I was sooooooooooooo ready to throw in the towel. DS peed on the floor, again within a few feet of the potty. Didn't yell or fuss but had him 'help' me clean it up. No biggie. We've had some issues with him hitting his sister, so I put him in his crib for a time-out with no diaper. Went back to get him after just a minute or two and he went to hitting her again. Put him back in his crib, thinking he'd already emptied his bladder, he should be okay. Got to second guessing myself and thought, 'I should put something on him.' Went to get him and in that short amount of time he pooped in the bed!!!! It is totally my fault, but GOODNESS!!!!

I think we'll just try again tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
2cutetoddlers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama... I am in the same boat in a way... Everytime Taylor (3 1/2) uses the toilet we sing a song...
Taylor goes pee in the toilet
Taylor goes pee in the toilet
Taylor goes pee in the toilet-because she is a big girl
Do you have a song? lol... She enjoys the extra attention... Poop is another story in this house... Taylor seems to be scared to death to go poop in the toilet... We've tried everything with her and the one time she went her eyes were HUGE and she was completely panicked... When she needs to go poop during the day she will ask for a diaper on or she will just go hide and poop then come by me and say,"I went poop"... I will ofcourse follow her when she is off to go poop and she is the quickest ever at that moment she will go from the living room--->her room--->brothers room and by the time she reaches the living room and I've caught up with her she has already gone She is completely ready but I think it "feels weird" for her to poop in toilet... This is are big hump we need to get through...Seems the less clothes Taylor has on the better job she does with potty training... Hope today is a good day for training for you...
Take care,
Lorie Ann
2cutetoddlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well E peed in the potty yesterday right before naptime, but then he pooped on the floor later in the day. He was at daycare today and then I was just too tired and DH was in a weird mood to deal with nakey time. I guess we'll try again tomorrow.

Here's a question: when do you know it is time to take a break vs. pressing on?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
2cutetoddlers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelous View Post
Well E peed in the potty yesterday right before naptime, but then he pooped on the floor later in the day. He was at daycare today and then I was just too tired and DH was in a weird mood to deal with nakey time. I guess we'll try again tomorrow.

Here's a question: when do you know it is time to take a break vs. pressing on?
I would say when it is overwhelming for you, or E... Also if the timing isn't right as far as your schedule and his.... I've got to keep this in mind myself... Talyor came up to me today and turned her head to look at her bum and said i went pee!
2cutetoddlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I would say when it is overwhelming for you, or E... Also if the timing isn't right as far as your schedule and his.... I've got to keep this in mind myself... Talyor came up to me today and turned her head to look at her bum and said i went pee!
Yay for Taylor!!! Awareness is big part of getting it down.

Well, I actually have some progress to report. (I'll spare you the awful, awful, mishaps!)

To keep myself in that laid back mood, I started having E 'help' clean up the misses. We would wipe everything up together and I would just repeat, "No pee-pee on the floor, pee-pee goes in the potty." Not saying that that was the magic ticket, but after a few days of that, he seemed to 'get' it! Yesterday morning after breakfast he said, "Momma, pee-pee potty." He sat down and went! I emptied that, he sat down and went again. I emptied that and then he went poop! What a great morning!

Last night he picked the potty up from the kitchen where I was trying to keep an eye on him, took it to the bathroom and peed. Then this morning he went again after breakfast. It was totally my fault that I missed a poop because I was trying to put a diaper on him to get going (my first day of work). He was saying, "pee-pee, potty, pee-pee potty" the whole time. I should have just listened to him.

Now daycare is a whole other issue. My DCP tried to give him nakey time the way we do. Even though I took his potty over there, he peed and pooped on the floor. Have no idea why.

So we're progressing! Just had to share!

Last edited by marvelous; 08-18-2011 at 10:54 AM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote