Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

spitting up

Help please! Up until this point I thought I had fixed the problem.. DD is now 9 1/2 weeks old and almost 12 lbs. Her poops and pees are normal amount. So I'm not worried about her getting enough any more..

But she keeps spitting up, a lot. I cut out most dairy at 4 weeks old and that reduced the spit up quite a bit so I went complete dairy free 2 weeks ago and she had only spit up twice since then until today. This morning and just now she spit up soooo much! This morning it was right after her feeding, just now it was an hour after. She will gag a few times before it all comes up. I burp her, keep her upright, she doesn't seem to have a fever. Right after she spits up she whines and acts hungry again. Before I cut out dairy she would spit up 2-3 times a day and it would vary sometimes during her feeding sometimes an hour later.. etc

I hate Dr's so please give me some good advice! I just don't think this is normal

ETA: I feed on demand. She usually eats every 1.5-3 hours during the day and wakes up once around 4-5 am.

Advertisement

Last edited by cdwelton; 08-10-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: adding
cdwelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My odd was a happy spitter. She spit up buckets all.the.time but she was happy and gained a lb a week for the first 2 months. It is normal for babies to spit up as long as she seems comfortable and is gaining I wouldn't worry.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Re: spitting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7 View Post
My odd was a happy spitter. She spit up buckets all.the.time but she was happy and gained a lb a week for the first 2 months. It is normal for babies to spit up as long as she seems comfortable and is gaining I wouldn't worry.
^^^ This is the official medical advice I got as well.

She might have a bit of reflux. I think they don't like to medicate unless it's uncomfortable/painful for the baby or if the baby is not gaining well. Medical opinion seems to be that babies will grow out of their reflux on their own? That seemed to be what I encountered at least.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Really? Ok. I always worry when she spits up soooo much. Thank goodness I had some extra prefolds sitting around to use as burp cloths! I'll just remind myself, if she's gaining weight and still happy then she is fine.

Thanks! I love how supportive DS momma's are
Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
NewMommy37
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS spat up a lot, too, he was gaining weight like a sumo wrestler and had good diaper outputs and is over 17lbs at nearly 6 months of age.

It's a laundry problem, not a medical one (usually.)

That said, I was a new mother and nervous so I took him in to be checked out lol.
NewMommy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
mommyofthree127
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 6 week old is spitting up a lot too. This is baby #3 for me, I can say from previous experience that some babies just spit up. My daughter spits up after every feeding pretty much, yet, she's 6 weeks old and wearing 3-6 month clothes. she has gained 4 & 1/2 lbs since birth. So, the doctor told me it's nothing to worry about. some babies eat and eat and eat until they are so full, that something always comes back up but they are keeping more down than you think. But I was the same way when I saw all this spitting/throwing up. I freaked and called my lactation consultant right away. She also said the same thing. Good luck. It will get better.
mommyofthree127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
teacherchalise
Registered Users

Been there. Felt that! I thought it was dairy at first, but it was just reflux that DD grew out of. Hang in there! As long as baby is not in pain, I agree that it's just a laundry problem, but I know how worrisome it can be !
I'm on the phone app, so I can't do the hugs emoticons so... ::hugs;:
teacherchalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
yellowdog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We've dealt with this as well. DS is our first so it can be a bit freaky when he spits up like he's auditioning for a horror flick. I have read that the digestive system is still developing and as long as the baby is gaining weight and has enough wet/poopy diapers that things are fine. You can keep the baby upright for up to 30 minutes after a feeding to try and help out. As long as the spit up isn't flying across the room (that could be a sign of stomach issues) I wouldn't worry.