Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pain in one nipple after 15 months?

I've been nursing DS for 15 months, with no issues except one bout of mastitis early on. Since then everything has been pain-free. DS still doesn't sleep through the night even close, and I'm trying trying trying to wean him (but that's a whole 'nother story!). Anyway, for a few days now I've had some pretty intense pain in one nipple. When I'm nursing him on that side it's like I'm being sliced open. When I'm not, it's sort of has dull twinges of pain. I initially thought it was a latch problem, but now I'm not sure. He's had a couple painful latches that really left teeth marks on me, and I'm not seeing those now. Also, as far as I can tell, it doesn't LOOK any different from the other one. We've never dealt with thrush, but isn't there sort of a white rash associated with that? I'm not seeing that on me or in DS's mouth.

So what's going on with me? My body just seems to be screaming to be done nursing, but I don't want to have to quit cold turkey because of pain. I'd love some suggestions Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
sunshinerton
Registered Users

Re: Pain in one nipple after 15 months?

Sounds like vasospasm? I had it and was misdiagnosed as thrush by an idiot male midwife. Super sharp pain. It is not your body telling you to not nurse, I had it at 3 months, 7 and 11 - associated with weird latch from teething.
I read Kellymom and it is helpful.
I think if there is anybody telling you anything it is that the kid telling you he isn't ready to wean. ;-)

Vasospasm heals by keeping it warm (don't let it get erect when not nursing). Try nursing in a different position to change the pressure. Good luck!

Last edited by sunshinerton; 08-13-2011 at 08:01 AM.
sunshinerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks mama, I'll look it up It's not feeling as bad as before, but still painful to nurse. I used to always nurse him on that side first, but now I'm doing the other side first. He'd have to nurse so long just to get a letdown that I think it was being "over-used" I'm still not seeing any other signs of thrush in either of us, so I really don't think that's what it is.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
pkaskaggs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

could it be that your milk is drying up? i know when i weaned my son that it became very uncomfortable to nurse towards the end.
pkaskaggs is offline   Reply With Quote