Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #21
MyCrazy8
Registered Users
Formerly: momto6
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is up with baby food in pouches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashav View Post
They say that because of the lower shipping weight, you are still ahead of the glass jars, environmentally-speaking.
I don't agree. And who is "they"? The company?? What about the waste going into the landfills? I've seen these products, and would never buy them. Sure, it might be convenient, and possibly less messy, but I guess that's the trade-off to the waste. Convenience = waste, usually, Just like with disposable anything.

Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #22
eLiz21730
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 11 month old has liked them since we offered them to him at 7.5 months while on vacation. I usually make my own baby food and he won't allow jarred food to touch his lips - literally. I did make a little food on that first vacation, but he was having a bit of a hard time adjusting and subsequently he didn't eat as well (and actually, he reverted to nursing almost exclusively on that trip except for a little squeezy food). I would go back to the squeezy food when we went on trips to see my parents and also gradually used a little more when he refused veggies I had made into baby food. He gets approx. 1 squeezy a day (maybe two if we are out of town) and he eats normal food the rest of the time. And actually we only started giving him one a day at the beginning of this month when he got super picky while teething - stopped eating a bunch of similar textured food he used to love! Grrr.

They are quite delicious and I either squeeze it out onto a spoon or let him suck it out . When we are down at the very end, I suck out whatever might be leftover so nothing goes to waste (yum!). They make applesauce this way for older kids, too, though I and my son eat it. A good one is Buddy Fruits. We can get those inexpensively at the Commissary where my parents live.

I know they're not as environmentally sound as jars or plastic, but I can understand every ingredient listed on the package, they actually smell good, and my kid will eat them (except for the pouches that have meat...he won't eat those, prefers actual meat - all kinds). I figure I waste more money and time making my own baby food out of a veggie he won't eat then simply buying something he will eat. Everyone has to weigh the pros and cons for themselves.

Check out my store, the sewn PEA, on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/thesewnPEA

Come Swag w/me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/eLiz21730

Last edited by eLiz21730; 08-25-2011 at 05:14 AM.
eLiz21730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #23
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 6 year old nephew tried some of DD's today and said "yum! It's like applesauce on the go!" Lol. Now my sister is a convert.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #24
3HMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

We've introduced a pouch to my DD and they're okay, but I still prefer my homemade stuff. For trips though, they are really convenient! I didn't realize you couldn't recycle them though. That's not good!
3HMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #25
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is a reusable one called baby pote for homemade baby food, applesauce, or liquidy snacks for toddlers. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
Charrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #26
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

The little boy i babysit his mom sends them and he just walks around sucking on them lol.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #27
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Charrey;13683794]There is a reusable one called baby pote for homemade baby food, applesauce, or liquidy snacks for toddlers. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

that is cool do they squeeze out as easy?
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #28
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't tried them yet, DD will just be turning 3 months next week but I fully intend to! I've heard they work well.
Charrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #29
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Taht's the only way DD will eat "baby food" she won't eat it off of a spoon. I do baby led weaning, but she thinks its fun to suck it out of the pouch. She gets more veggies in her that way. I don't squeeze it for her, so I still consider it BLW.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #30
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS will eat the green veggies from pouches and not in jars..that's enough for me! lol!