Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
mamatobe08
Registered Users
seller

Raw spots on baby's bum

My 9 month old has been battling a rash for a few weeks now. Now, instead of just being red, the spots are raw. He actually is surprisingly not too crabby during diaper changes, it doesn't seem to bother him as much as it does me.

We have been using disposables about 50% of the time, because we have a rather small stash and SO works out of state and is gone 2 weeks at a time, so sometimes the laundry is just too much for me to keep up on and I get burned out. I'm waiting on 3 more diapers in the mail and then it should be easier.

So, I don't know if it's the cloth or disposables that's causing these issues. I'm thinking that today I will strip the diapers and then just make myself use only cloth for a few days and see what happens. Does stripping sound like a good plan? Any other ideas?

Advertisement

mamatobe08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
loving my family
Registered Users

Re: Raw spots on baby's bum

That's what my kids went through when we used disposables. My mom boiled all of my clothes every time she got done washing them to make sure she got all the soap out or I would get blisters that would pop & be raw where ever my clothes touched.

My youngest has real sensitive skin so if he sweats in his clothes what ever soap is still remaining will do that to him, not as bad as I was but switching to cloth was a huge help. I just got to make sure all the soap is out of his diapers & he doesn't get or stay to wet.
I only wished I had known about modern cloth options with my 1's baby. Good luck mama I am sorry your son is going through this its hard to see them with bad rash.

Oh when mine had there skin this bad I used Tripple Paste it is very thick diaper rash cream & provides a barrier just dry him of by blotting the sore area's first so it will not hold moisture in, it always helped us you can buy it at Wal-mart or Target in the baby isle.
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

You'd be surprised but the fact that you are using sposies and cloth is causing the rash. Stick to one, babies skin are sensitive. I suggest you wait to use cloth till you have a one day supply so he can heal properly. You can use some corn starch or lanolin for the rash.
TryingHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
kej
Registered Users
seller

My dd had raw spots and it turned out to be a staph infection. She had to go through 2 rounds of oral antibiotics to get it cleared up (and then she got a yeast infection!)
Old 08-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Which sposies are you using? And what type of cloth diapers/fabrics are you using? My son has serious skin allergies and is literally allergic to commercial wipes and most sposies. I use pampers sensitive sposies (1 a day) for overnight only and use only cloth during the day. I have a rather small stash and have to wash and hang them to dry every night. I fluff them on low heat in the morning while making hubby's lunch and coffee before sending him off to work. I have learned that my son has to have stay-dry and cannot tolerate fleeces or microfiber. Hence, I use pockets with either bamboo velour or cotton velour inners and I stuff with bamboo flats and hemp doublers. I also have to be super careful about detergents so I make my own and do 1 cold wash with detergent and 1 hot wash without detergent..... haven't had any issues since.
Oh, and don't forget to add a little baby shampoo to your water for cloth wipes...... I accidentally forgot once and only used water and ds turned bright red before the end of the day. (I dampen my wipes and put them in an airtight container for easy use each day.) All I can figure is water doesn't really clean. You need a little something antibacterial or the skin/urine combo causes redness. Hope this helps.

God Bless!
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
mamatobe08
Registered Users
seller

I am using Huggies sposies(which we have always used) and mostly Grovia AIO's. It's possible that he needs stay dry. I have been using sposie wipes completely, and I think that might part of the problem too. Tomorrow I will be back to 100% cloth--got another diaper today, so I think I can make it through the whole day.

mamatobe08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatobe08 View Post
I am using Huggies sposies(which we have always used) and mostly Grovia AIO's. It's possible that he needs stay dry. I have been using sposie wipes completely, and I think that might part of the problem too. Tomorrow I will be back to 100% cloth--got another diaper today, so I think I can make it through the whole day.
Huggies caused horrible reactions for ds and commercial wipes caused redness that wasn't ever severe but stayed constant and didn't go away til we went completely cloth for wipes. Cloth wipes were actually the easiest part of our cloth journey...... we've switched from cottonbabies flannel wipes to baby washcloths bc we needed more grab when ds started eating cereal and babyfood. Our pedi could care less whether we use cloth or sposies but he HATES commercial wipes and recommends cloth wipes ALWAYS. They were the first thing he asked us to change when we first took him in. Later on, after we went to all cloth wipes and ds was still having problems, is when we figured out he was allergic to sposies, too.

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 08-12-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
michrandom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the meantime, a healthy dose of cornstarch will help speed the healing. I swear something in cornstarch helps to regrow skin Okay, so not really. But you'd think so. I never use creams on my guys anymore - just cornstarch - and it makes it all better.
michrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
linaboo
Registered Users

My DD was born in May at 37 weeks,had to spend 3 days at NICU,they used sposies on her,obviously,so we brought her home with rash which was getting worse and worse.My CD are only natural fibers,no fleece,but I still had to switch to sposies,went through 3 tubes Triple paste,desitin and everything available at the stores.Nothing worked,we suspected yeast,our pediatrician recommended nistatin,that didn't help either.Eventually I switched back to cloth,doctor suggested usin neosporin 3 times a day under the barrier cream.I happend to receive CJ uncented butter in a jar by that time,so combination of both worked.Oh,and as PP mentioned stay away from the store bought wipes.And my secret-I am originally from Russia and we mostly just WASH poopy butts under the RUNNING water,dry patting(rather then wiping) gently and this should be a relief for his bottom.Good luck
linaboo is offline   Reply With Quote