Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:
Frustrated with nursing toddler...HELP!

Kalliann is almost 17 months old. She still nurses 6-8 times a day and sleeps through the night most nights. For the past 2 months or so, I cannot even HOLD her without her reaching her hand down my shirt and into my bra. Now, I understand this is territory that she considers "hers" but I would like to set some boundaries with her and have NO idea how to! When she's falling asleep, if she doesn't have access to play with my b00bs, she gets upset. She tries to play with my n!pples when going to sleep too. It drives me insane! I love the nursing part of it...she bumped her head pretty hard today and just wanted to nurse for comfort. But I need advice on setting boundaries with her and how to approach not letting her "play" when she wants to.

Advertisement

Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Frustrated with nursing toddler...HELP!

ugh, mine did that same thing at that age. he'd get so mad at me when i covered the other side up, and push or pull my hand off!! i taught him what kinds of touches i found acceptable. like, he could rest his hand on my breast, but not touch the nipple (though that might have been closer to age 2...). but he needed LOTS of reminders- even now, at 2.5.

another thing that helped was to give him a toy or something to handle (instead of my breasts) while he was falling asleep. a little doll, a nursing necklace, those sorts of things would be good. saying "No" is going to end badly, as i'm sure you know, so finding something to say 'yes' to instead is the way to go with toddlers. in this case i would not even mention the things she can't/isn't allowed to do, just leave that out of your language, and focus on what you want her to do. touch like this, here's a dolly, etc.

good luck! and yes, this too shall pass.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
CurtsBabyMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm going through the same thing with DS. I usually just give him a toy or something to distract his attention and hes fine.
CurtsBabyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you!! I was beginning to wonder if I was alone. I nursed my son til he was 2 1/2 and he never did this and I nursed DD2 til 19 months and she didn't do this either. This is new territory for me, something I've yet to encounter through my BFing years. I should invest in a nursing necklace, something for her to place with while she nurses or while she's trying to get to sleep. She does have a dolly but she will throw her if she wants to put her hand down my shirt LOL
Old 08-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Teahya&nikolais_mommy
Registered Users
seller

Lol my DS does the same thing! We have tried toys but he won't take them maybe I should try a nursing neckless. What is that & where do u get one?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Amanda : , baby wearing, non circing SHAM to Teahya::6-4-08 and Nikolai4-22-10 andwith #3 Markus Anthony and #4 Marius asher
Teahya&nikolais_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teahya&nikolais_mommy View Post
Lol my DS does the same thing! We have tried toys but he won't take them maybe I should try a nursing neckless. What is that & where do u get one?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
just go to etsy.com and type "breastfeeding necklace" into the search bar, tons of cute ones on there! I'll be getting a couple when DS starts teething.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycoke

just go to etsy.com and type "breastfeeding necklace" into the search bar, tons of cute ones on there! I'll be getting a couple when DS starts teething.
Etsy has cute everything!!

I'm curious why you'll be getting one when your LO starts teething, as opposed to any other time? I mean, what's the connection to teething?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My LO hasn't started intentionally reach and grabbing things yet, he only grabs if his hands are on it. I can usually get him to stop grabbing my shirt by putting a small blanket in his way and he's happy with that, for now. A lot of the ones on etsy are made for nursing entertainment AND teething, with materials safe for chewing, etc. I also recently ordered a bunch of stuff off Amazon and am trying to cut back the "unnecessary" spending for right now

Sorry to high jack the post OP!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I didn't know that (about the necklaces being made for teething and grabbing). Cool.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all! I broke down and bought a necklace for her to play with. I am hoping this will at least help.