Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
artmother
Registered Users

Guessing bra size before baby arrives?

I know I need to get nursing bras before the baby arrives, but how do I know what size I will need? How much bigger did you get once your milk came in?

I have had a hard time with size anyway. Last year I lost 35 pounds before TTC and went from a 34 D to between a 34 B & C. So far I have gained back all the weight I lost plus about 20 pounds (EEK) and I am wearing my old 34 D's with an extender in back, but the cups are really too small as well. (Just did not want to spend a lot on new bras and since I am on bed rest, it is not that big of a deal)

Any suggestions/ guesses on what I should get ahead of time? I thought maybe a couple sizes and I could keep the receipt and return the ones that don't fit, but would like an idea of what I might need.

Would a nursing tank be the best route to go to begin with?

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Vicki

Advertisement

artmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
jkelstaten
Registered Users

Re: Guessing bra size before baby arrives?

I would measure yourself maybe a couple weeks before you are due, to get an estimate for size. If you are able to go try them on that would be best. I found that the cup size I was right before delivery was the size I ended up being after the engorgement was over. But with DD#1 I had a lot of water weight so the general bra size was smaller (the last month I measured 40+, but after delivery went to a solid 38), so take that into consideration if you are experiencing that. (Confusing, I know)

There are so many styles to choose from it really depends on your preferences. I like underwire in general, so I found that I like underwire nursing bras as well (but quality really varies between brands). I was also able to find a couple really supportive non-wire bras.

With DD#1 I wore some sports bras to start with because I didn't know what size I would need. They were very convenient, but not very supportive (and I'm pretty big on top, much bigger than you ), but they worked while my body returned to a "normal" size.

Also, take into consideration the type of nursing pad you will be using. There are some VERY thin disposable ones that won't really affect the size, but cloth ones might add a little bulk.

So there's a book for you
Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I could never fit myself properly while pregnant. But I think the rule is go down a band size and up a cup size? I could be really wrong, though. But still, that rule didn't work for me. I just made do with what I had (borrowed nursing bras from friends) and bought new bras when my baby was 6-8 weeks old.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Somewhere there is a site, maybe some mamas could find it for you since I don't have time, that shows you how to properly measure yourself and I did this and added one cup size and they were perfect when my DD came. I got some sleeping bras, supportive bras and a sports type bra that was really comfortable. I had to wear them around the clock for the first four months and I think I got some of them from www.breakoutbras.com They had a sale when DD was born and had the most comfy sleeping bras. CS kind of stunk, but their bras were great. Maybe they had measurements there but I just can't remember. Good luck
Old 04-07-2007, 04:37 AM   #5
marmotamonaxes
Registered Users
seller

Ha! I tried, but I really was close to my predelivery size after engorgement was over...but make the size a little bigger so you can fit the pads in there, too!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i found both times my band size was one less, and my cup size too after everything was established ... except this 2nd really favors one side so i had to go back up a cup size to accomodate it comfortably when its full
Old 04-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
kflowerfly
Registered Users

My Mood:

I found that "Motherhood maternity" sleep bras are the ONLY ones I like, they size "s, m, l, xl, etc" so you just get your own size. DOn't have to fittle with snaps or anything, just pull and you're done. I use it all the time, not only to sleep. they are good enough for support too!
kflowerfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:05 AM   #8
artmother
Registered Users

Thanks ladies,

I have been sleeping in exercise bras the entire pregnancy, so maybe I will try a couple nursing sleep bras. I got a couple used nursing bras in different sizes so hopefully one of them will work. One fits now, and one is a cup size larger. I had not thought about the thickness of the pads, so I am guessing the bigger one might work. I will put both in my hospital bag and see what works.

Thanks again for your insight and suggestions

Vicki

Last edited by artmother; 04-09-2007 at 04:06 AM. Reason: sp
artmother is offline   Reply With Quote