Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Weaning from bottle to sippy?

DS is a little over 10 months old, and I'm thinking we need to start weaning off the bottle. What's the best way to do this? I don't want to go cold turkey. He currently has a bottle in the morning, midday, and before bed. He will only drink out of straw cups, so do I just start there and put formula in the straw cup instead of bottle? And when he's off the bottle completely, do I still give formula 3 times a day (he currently gets 24oz). Just trying to figure all this out. I can't believe it's time to say goodbye to bottles

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
tatania
Registered Users
seller

Re: Weaning from bottle to sippy?

my little one is 14months and still takes bottles. i believe that taking the bottle away so young is growing them up too fast. when they are ready they will let you know... though her doctor did tell us at about 10months to start weaning her off the bottle. and by 12 months to wean her off the formaula. (she still has formula too).. she does take sippy cups and the ones w.straws too, but she does seem to drink more out of the bottles. i know this wasnt the answer you were looking for. maybe an experienced mom can tell you what to do!
tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
lmommy25
Registered Users

!0 months is a great time to start weaning. If he will take formula from a sippy that is great. Try giving him just sippy's for the day and if he has a night time bottle I would still give him that for a couple of weeks and then see if you can just give him a sippy before his bedtime after that. Beyond 12 months he really does not need formula unless he is not a good eater of solids. They do have formula for the older ones if you want to continue with it or is he is just not a good eater. Good luck mamma.
lmommy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Honestly, we waited until she was 12 mos to wean her off the bottles. We had tried what felt like fiftymillion different sippies & DD just wasn't feeling it. That, & formula is so thick & gunky that it was a PITA to clean out of sippies. Oh, and DD didn't do straw cups that young. At 12 mos, we switched her to soy milk, got well established w/ that for a week or two, then switched her over to hard-spout sippies (she liked them better for some reason). We had one little regression about a month later that we were on vacation & she was overtired & overhungry & refusing a sippy & food & we gave in & gave her the "emergency" bottle we still had stowed in the car.

We had already started giving her water in a SS sport bottle & she was using that all day (she still won't drink water from a sippy) & getting a cup of milk morning, lunchtime (only w/ the sitter), & bedtime...so she was motivated to get the milk & sucked it up & drank from the sippy.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think I'm going to hold off for a couple weeks. We go on vacation next week, so I don't know if it would be the best time to switch. When we get back, I'm going to start trying. He'll only take a straw cup, so I'm hoping the formula works well with that!
Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't do anything with a sippy except some practice with water until 12/13 months. Then no bottles during the day but keep the night bottle for a few more weeks. I haven't had any issues with any of my LO. Even DS1 who was such a bottle junkie I didnt' think he would easily give it up but he did. I also start with the soft nipple sippy cups.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

We started weaning our oldest at about 9-10 months. We took away the morning bottle first, replacing it with whatever sippy he would drink out of (he loved take and toss - no valve). We would let him have however much he could drink out of the sippy, then pour the rest into a bottle. After he was doing the whole serving from his cup, we started the process with the nap feeding, and saved the night feeding for last. Also, our rule was that if he wanted to drink from a bottle he had to sit in our laps, no playing, just drinking. For those 1st several weeks tranistioning to a sippy we would cuddle him while he drank from his sippy if he wanted to. Also, to make the sippys more appealing we switched from size 3 flow nipples back down to size 2. The slower flow of the bottles made the sippy that much more appealing. Good Luck!
nicolemariep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
JNLCsMom
Registered Users
seller

We started weaning around 9 months with both children which is what our doctor advised. My DS took longer to wean because he would only drink his milk out of a sippy cup. We started by taking away the morning bottle and by 13 months he was 100% weaned. Luckily, our DD took to sippy cups pretty well. Right after she turned one, we were able to toss all the bottles. The only reason we used bottles that long is because half the milk she drank was formula and it was easier to measure in the bottle. I did start with the cups with the silicone spouts for both children. I think the sooner you start the easier it will be.
JNLCsMom is offline   Reply With Quote