Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Weight gain with IVF? *child mentioned*

I was just wondering what everyone's personal experience has been regarding weight gain with IVF. Either up to the egg retrieval part or the entire time. I am heavy, my bmi is borderline as far as my doctor is concerned and I am trying to lose a little bit of weight in the next two weeks before my next cycle. I am also trying to do some light exercise (yoga dvd, ballet dvd) so that I can continue on with that during a pregnancy. I know not to go too crazy trying to lose weight. But I'm nervous. I weigh 15 pounds less now than when I got pregnant with my daughter and I just don't want to gain all that doing IVF and start off a pregnancy just as heavy.

I know it would have been better to lose weight before doing IVF, but this was a surprise that we'd get to do it so soon.

Advertisement

Last edited by sillyutalktome; 08-22-2011 at 09:00 PM.
sillyutalktome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
meldo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Weight gain with IVF? *child mentioned*

I actually lose weight. I think a lot of it depends on your meds, too. I know that about a week into my Lupron I'm only eating because I know I should. I'm pretty nauseous. After the retrieval I'm usually really really bloated (somehow this time I wasn't) and there is no room in my belly to overeat. In fact, eating at all is pretty blah. In the 2WW I feel like I'm more apt to gain weight. Progesterone supplements mimic pregnancy symptoms and I get "the eats" as I call them. I'm close to my beta right now and my hpts have been coming up positive, so that explains why I've been having "dinner-time sickness" and can't even think of eating anything. I haven't weighed myself in the last week but I know once my body was feeling normal after the retrieval, I weighed myself and I'd lost 7 lbs. This is my 8th IVF cycle so if you want to chat, feel free to PM me!
Most likely nak!
meldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did not gain weight when I did my fresh cycle. (I am overweight by a decent amount.) Good luck with your cycle!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh that is great to hear! Everything I read online people say they gained around 15 pounds! Which if a pregnancy was the result, I wouldn't care, but it just scares me. Mostly it scares me because I'd have nothing to wear as well. Lol.

Mel I may pm you after our next appointment. Right now it's all so vague a concept in my mind. Once we start meds and have a schedule I'm sure it will seem more real and terrifying.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #5
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Not sure if I gained weight, but I really bloated up with my fresh cycle. I had a high FSH, so I had to take a LOT of follistum (sp?).
Old 09-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I gained a bit but in my case that was a good thing. I was a bit too underweight when I started and unfortunately the diet my RE puts me on makes me loose more. So it is a struggle for me to be where I am suppose to be. I also bloated to the point of nearly needing maternity though. Not sure if I would have that happen again as my son stretched me out and my triplets didn't.