Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Trouble losing weight?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpb2930 View Post
My DS is almost 3 mo and I have lost less than 5 lbs since he was born. I've been going to the gym 2 days a week and eating 1500-1800 cal/day. Not to mention my obscene amount of water. Wth?!? I am soooo frustrated!! I watched my friend shrink before my very eyes when she BF her LO. Not that that was my only reason for choosing to BF but it sure was perk I was looking forward to but my body won't let anything go :0( My SIL said it could be bc I still have had my period? Idk. Anyone relate or have any advice?!?!? Thanks :0)
Honestly, I'd say you're overdoing it. Your body is probably hanging onto the weight because you are stressing it out. Feeding a baby is no small task. Its like 500 cal. a day, just to BF. You're not getting enough calories for BFing plus working out... The numbers just don't add up and when you do that, your body slows down metabolism to compensate. I'd relax on the work out, eat a little more and you might be surprised that the weight will fall off. BFing does this all on its own. No need to diet and over exercise.

Give it a try.

ETA: it'll probably take a couple weeks for your body to adjust from all the working out and dieting, so you might gain a few pounds at first, but then things should even out and you should be able to start losing.

Advertisement

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 08-15-2011 at 07:30 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlckrets View Post
Same with me. My son is 5 months and I haven't lost much weight since he was born. I started a good workout program for 6 weeks straight, 5 days a week. And I lost nothing. Very frustrating. Not sure why this is happening, since with my older son I lost almost all of the weight right away (we walked, but did not do much real cardio/weight training).
You didn't stress your body so it didn't feel the need to hang onto the extra weight that you didn't need. It goes against common sense, but this is one of those times where less is more (as far as dieting and exercise).
Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
mommajenn13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I feel you. I don't have too much left, but I feel like I can't lose actual fat (as opposed to weight) since I'm still bfing. I have the mirena which I also think adds to it. With my dd, i was back in my pre preg clothes in about a month. Gained 32 lbs, lost 22 in the hospital, and lost the other 10 within 2 weeks. I was smaller than before and not in a pretty way! This time... 14 months pp and I still have lots of midsection fat/10 lbs to lose. I'm short so that's a lot of weight to me. I work out and eat right. I definitely eat enough, I feel so hungry all the time! I figured whenever ds wasn't eating as much, I'd start losing. But since my 14 month old eats as much as a newbie, I haven't seen the weight come off yet. Sigh. Probably will stop nursing around 2, and then knowing my luck I'll get pregnant soon afterwards!

Make sure you eat enough calories!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

I hang on to excess weight while I'm lactating, even if I'm only nursing once or twice a day. It's frustrating, because I'm extremely active, but this is only a short period in my life (grand scheme) so I try not to be bothered by it.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Leighleighbuggy
Registered Users
seller

My whole family on my father's side is like this. We all hang onto weight until we completely wean, and then it falls off really fast. It is super frustrating because as much as nursing is important to me, being as heavy as I am when I am doing it is miserable!
Leighleighbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #16
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
With my first son, I lost weight without trying. I was always hungry and felt like I ate a ton. My ds was quite big over 90th percentile for height and weight. I ended up 10 lbs below my original pre-pregnancy weight when I got pregnant for #2. At that time my oldest was 12 months and still nursing frequently. He weaned at 17 months.
After my second son, the weight took a little longer but did gradually come off by a year or 15 months or so. Not quite as low as after #1 but still 5 lbs or so below my pre-kid weight.
This time seems terrible! I know I am only 2 months pp but I am at my highest weight (for not being pregnant) EVER! I had about the same amount of weight gain with all 3 pregnancies - 40 lbs. I still have 25 lbs to lose to get back to my most recent pre-preg weight. I even was down a bit but have since put 7 lbs back on! Ack!
I am considering having thyroid testing done if I gain any more back.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
Baby Jake's Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was like that with my son, I didn't loose weight until I got pregnant with our daughter. This time the weight loss is going much better!! Some things that are different this time around - less stress, more sleep, no postpartum depression. All those things also contribute to your body holding onto the excess weight.
I also think your calorie intake may be a little low for nursing and being as active as you are. Maybe talk to your doctor or find a nursing friendly metabolic calculator online to find the right number of calories for you.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #18
Willum'smom
Registered Users
seller

Weight watchers will take into account that you're nursing and will have you get the appropriate amount of calories. It's a great program. I lost 30lbs on it before I got pregnant with DS. However
Old 08-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #19
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willum'smom
Weight watchers will take into account that you're nursing and will have you get the appropriate amount of calories. It's a great program. I lost 30lbs on it before I got pregnant with DS. However
Is ww free or something you pay for? Do you have to go to meetings? I remember going with my mom as a teen but I think maybe they have changed since 20 years ago?
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #20
kej
Registered Users
seller

I wasn't able to lose weight each time until I introduced solids. Some women just can't, and it's ok.