Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Am I starting to dry up?!?

A little background, the twins are 20 months old and I've been pumping at work for about 18 months. I work 12 hour night shifts, I used to pump 4x a night but it was really hard to find the time, so a few months ago I reduced it to three times a night. It was going well until a few weeks ago. I used to pump an average of 6oz (total) at each pumping. Now I'm lucky if I get 2oz (somtimes it's only one oz). Both twins seem satisfied at the breast (I only pump at work). I'm really hoping that maybe it's because they've been sleeping through the night more and more and my body just isn't used to making that much milk at night. I only work one night a week fwiw. I use milk from one pumping session and mix it in a sippy cup with cows milk and thats what dad gives them at bedtime. The rest of the milk I donate. I'd love to stop pumping at work, I'm sure my body would adjust fine if I do it slowly, but I love being able to donate and I know it probably won't be nursing more than another year so I'd like to continue to donate. It just worries me when I'm only able to produce an ounce or two, I'm not ready to wean yet

Jolene, RN, - Proud mommy to Dylan 09-27-05. Twins Bryce and Kaia born 12-02-09.

I've donated 1,000 oz of mamas milk!

Babie's are weaned (32 months!), potty trained and I'm not BWing much anymore, but I still occasionally hang around here.
foxynursejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Am I starting to dry up?!?

I bet its due to you not nursing at night while at home... You could trick your body into producing more by pumping at home 3or4night a week but as long as theboys seem satisfied at the breast I think you could stop pumping while at work... If you are only pumping one night a week... Yes your nightly supply has gone down.. But it sounds like with the boys slowly learning to sleep through the night your body and theirs have learned to produce enough During the day hth
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote