Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

Supplementers

I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the various at-the-breast supplementers. I know only of the "lact-aid" and the medela supplementer. I am wondering about the pros and cons of each and if there are any other models out there. Thanks!

Advertisement

Zoethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I used the medela sns with the little tube I had to tape to the breast. Ds pulled it off every time the tube would come out and leak everywhere. I got frustrated and went to bottles.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Supplementers

I don't remember where I read the article, but it said that the Lact-aid is much better than the Medela. I don't know of any other options.
bcb1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

I am successfully using the Medela SNS for the past 6 months. Sorry to hear some had problems with it, you need to be taught how to use it properly. A professional lactation consultant is necessary with the process.
Keep in mind, it is not an easy task and very frustrating in the beginning. I almost gave up twice but I'm happy I didn't.
Feel free to ask more!
TryingHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
blathnat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I use the lact-aid and think it is pretty easy to get the hang of, I chose the lact-aid rather than the sns because an lc told me it didn't leak as much and you can use if lying down. I've been mostly happy with it. However, the bags can be pretty expensive and getting the pouch ready can take done time (especially frustrating when you've got a fussy hungry baby to soothe)
Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

What leaks do you have with an SNS? I never yet had any leaks... What am I missing?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKikow View Post
I am successfully using the Medela SNS for the past 6 months. Sorry to hear some had problems with it, you need to be taught how to use it properly. A professional lactation consultant is necessary with the process.
Keep in mind, it is not an easy task and very frustrating in the beginning. I almost gave up twice but I'm happy I didn't.
Feel free to ask more!
Thanks! I am glad to hear that it works for some! Are you pumping as well?

I used the Medela single use SNS a couple of times but got very frustrated. I didn't like the clip that was used to hang it from my shirt. For one thing I didn't wear a shirt much when we were learning to BF! It seems like hanging it around your neck would be easier. We got so-so at latching on with the SNS (latch was one of our issues, too. We had a lot of issues!), but then I found that DS wouldn't actually be getting any from the SNS, or at least I didn't see any bubbles. We ended up using bottles to supplement and I think that was our downfall. DS actually weaned at 4mo (he's 6mo now), but I have been kicking myself and want to learn more so if there is a next time we can be more successful.

Do you find the SNS too bulky? Do you wear it all the time or only when nursing? How do you manage it in public? Can it go in the fridge between uses or does it need to be cleaned? Do you find that after all the work of learning to use the SNS is it easier or at least as easy as a bottle?

Thanks again!
Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

I don't know what the sns single is so I can't really say anything about that.
I don't pump, simply because I can't. I get cracked and sore nipples from pumping and worst of all I can't get any milk out anyway. ,
I don't find it bulky, I wear it only while nursing. I use it in public no problem just like I would nurse without it. But I always do cover up with a diaper so it's not necessarily visible to by passers. I always clean it after each use, if there is left overs I have a separate 'fridge bottle' as we call it. A bottle with a cover, not a nipple, that is the temporary storage between feedings. (Keep in mind I supplement with donated breast milk only.) My baby sometimes pulls the tubes so I keep her hands on mine or put a diaper there so she doesn't reach the tube. By now it's like giving a bottle but sometimes (many) times I still get frustrated that feedings can take 25-30 minutes. Thank g-d my baby feeds every 3-4 hours only (not every 2!) And she sleeps thru the night!
Starting with the sns, (had latching issues too.) Was literally h*ll. Sorry for the expression but all I remember is a nightmare... I couldn't get the tape to stick, my baby pulled it off, I had such bad sore nipples, my baby didn't cooperate nicely, feedings took an hour.. To make it short, it was a VERY hard investment for the time now. I haven't got my periods in 6 months (yay!) I did get an increase in milk so I am supplementing less. 2 feedings during the day go completely sns free. Best of all, I'm an official breast feeding mom
So yes, afterall, it did pay off well!

(Do you have IGT/Hypoplasia?
I do, and I just started a thread last night for support for hypoplasia moms that are successfully nursing. I didn't start solids yet, I have a toddler too to care for and my hubby wants me to extend the breastfedding...)
Old 08-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Starting with the sns, (had latching issues too.) Was literally h*ll. Sorry for the expression but all I remember is a nightmare... I couldn't get the tape to stick, my baby pulled it off, I had such bad sore nipples, my baby didn't cooperate nicely, feedings took an hour.. To make it short, it was a VERY hard investment for the time now. I haven't got my periods in 6 months (yay!) I did get an increase in milk so I am supplementing less. 2 feedings during the day go completely sns free. Best of all, I'm an official breast feeding mom
So yes, afterall, it did pay off well!
I don't mind the expression at all, I know just how you feel/felt. Good for you for sticking with it!

Quote:
(Do you have IGT/Hypoplasia?
I do, and I just started a thread last night for support for hypoplasia moms that are successfully nursing. I didn't start solids yet, I have a toddler too to care for and my hubby wants me to extend the breastfedding...)
I saw your thread and I subscribed. I hope your DH's support feels like support and not pressure. It sounds like he is really pro-BFing; good for him!

I suspect that I do have IGT/Hypoplasia. My LC mentioned it in her report to the midwives and pediatrician, but I never got an official diagnosis. We had a really rough start (placenta previa, hemorage, blood transfusion (for me), IUGR, NICU, two weeks of bottle feeding) before we even started Bfing. I hope that next time, without so much drama, the suspected hypoplasia turns out to be mild.

Hang in there. I wish I had!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

O wow that's drama lol my baby was just a mini drama queen. 3 weeks early, breathing trouble (strider) and latching trouble. I started with the sns right away since she couldn't bottle feed anyway..
And I have a sever case of hypoplasia.
My husbands support is not pressure, but at times I think he really can't understand because afterall he's a MAN.lol.

If you want to make yourself total crazy you can go back to the sns even now. I know someone who did that, after 2 months weaning she started again at 7 months and dragged till 17 months... But I think she was a bit over doing ha

Another pointer: any mom with hypoplasia can never fully breastfeed without supplementing. (If they can, it was probably a not worked up supply that needed help. Get the difference?) So if you consider trying again with your next one just keep in mind that it is a hard commintment at first but a rewarding benefit for later..

Oh and get yourself a good LC that can help you/guide you with the sns. I don't know how I would make it without..