Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Mom2evie
Registered Users
seller

Buying a pump

Ok mamas, I'm thinking of trying for a LO #2 and nursing was a disaster the first time around, however I really want to give it another try.
I didn't have a pump the first time around (maybe part of the problem) so this time I'm looking for Medela PISA. Ive found some very cheap on here but my question is would you buy a Medela from someone you didn't know???

Advertisement

I'm a CDing, vaxing on schedule, bottle feeding mama
Mom2evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Military Gals Jewelry
Registered Users
Formerly: Texasarmywifey
seller

My Mood:
No only buy new, they are not made for re-use call medela directly they will give u good deals!! My free style is amazing!!!

Enter Diaperswapper1 for 5%

Last edited by Military Gals Jewelry; 08-09-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Military Gals Jewelry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Buying a pump

Just so you know, unless you are going to be working outside the home or otherwise separated from your baby regularly for long periods of time, or you have a baby in the NICU, you don't need a double-electric pump. You don't need a pump at all to have a successful breastfeeding relationship. Pumping early in your breastfeeding relationship can exhaust you, decrease your confidence in your ability to breastfeed, cause oversupply, etc etc.

A good manual pump will do everything you need unless you WOH or have a seriously ill baby. The Avent Isis is a good manual pump and isn't very expensive.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second what previous poster said, I am a SAHM and I only pump to leave some milk for dh when I can't be there to nurse. I have the medela swing and would recommend it, I prefer it to a manual pump. To make it easier this time around I would recommend contacting your local LL Group or to read a good breast feeding book like "The womanly art of breastfeeding". Good luck to you, breastfeedig can be wonderful!

And yes, I would buy a breast pump used and then replace the parts like tubing, valves and breast shield.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Mom2evie
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mamas. I do work outside the home. I'm a nurse and work long 12 hour shifts so I definately need a pump.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Mom2evie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasarmywifey
No only buy new, they are not made for re-use call medela directly they will give u good deals!! My free style is amazing!!!
As in coupons??

Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you use wic? Our wic office has hospital grade pumps that they lend out. Mines awesome so happy I got it. And it's free for as long as you need it! just an idea. I personally couldn't use a pump from someone I didn't know. And idk maybe buying all new parts might make me feel better about it....
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Abbaloosa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would not buy a used pump from someone I didn't know. I have the Medela PISA, love that thing! I got by with the Avent Isis with the first baby but double electric is SO much nicer. And I don't work outside the home...so technically I could get by without on. But sure is nice to have.

Watch out for coupons...Target has a good price on it I think.
Abbaloosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok, so you do need a pump!

I have an Ameda Purely Yours and it works great for me. I have also heard good things about the Avent Isis IQ double electric.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I would buy a used pump, sure. I'd just buy a new kit (tubing, valves etc). I'd want to make sure the motor is working well.

Are you a nurse in a hospital? Just wondering if you could use the hospital's pumps. I loved the hospital grade pump I rented so much more than the PISA.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum