Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
MelissaCoffey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Spinoff: People's stupid comments

Thought maybe we could get a giggle out of this....out of moments of disbelief on things people have said to us regarding our pregnancies, things like that....

My first one would have to be when I went for my first prenatal with my son. I was 19, newly married and SO happy to be pregnant. My husband had been injured....*there* in highschool during a bullriding competetion and didn't think he could have children. Hmmm LOL! (We are expecting #6) Anyways, as I was signing in the receptionist asks my name and reason for visit. I say "First prenatal checkup.." all smiles. She looks at me, looks at my wedding ring and actually says "You're happy about this?" Being 19, and young...I blew it off....Today if that would have happened..oooooo I would have let her have it.

Second would be my third pregnancy. New PA in my OB's office. She's doing my first exam, and you know the lovely pap part....She gets a speculum...then takes it out and actually says "I need a different one...that's what you get for having an 8 pounder" My husband was in the room and when she walked out he said "I just about told her 'no maam, that's from ME'" I am SO glad he didn't I would have died, but still....I am sure we all love having our most intimate bits talked about like that while spread eagle on an exam table with cold metal inserted....Dang!

And the third wasn't me, it was a friend. She was expecting her second, her first was a boy. When she found out she was having another boy, another friend of hers said in all seriousness "Oh no, what are you going to do?" Like uhm....what exactly did that mean? I told her she should have said, just as serious, "Well, we've talked about it, and we're going to see if we can ship him to China for a trade....." (I do not make light of girls being unwanted there, I just have a very dry sense of humor and always feel like if someone says something that stupid, something equally as stupid as a reply is the best way to maybe make them realize how very idiotic the original comment was...)

Of course, we now get the whole "Don't you know what causes that..." which is said so often we just shrug it off now....or say "Yep, sure do like it too"...

I just wonder why...of all the things we DO have respect for...in our totally PC society why our sex lives, our fertility, our bodies and our babies seem to be so open for public comment....

Advertisement

MelissaCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Re: Spinoff: People's stupid comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaCoffey View Post
Second would be my third pregnancy. New PA in my OB's office. She's doing my first exam, and you know the lovely pap part....She gets a speculum...then takes it out and actually says "I need a different one...that's what you get for having an 8 pounder" My husband was in the room and when she walked out he said "I just about told her 'no maam, that's from ME'" I am SO glad he didn't I would have died, but still....I am sure we all love having our most intimate bits talked about like that while spread eagle on an exam table with cold metal inserted....Dang!
Your Dh's thought gave me a little I didn't exactly understand why the first situation was said. Maybe most woman coming in didn't want their babies? Sometimes I wonder about people's comments...I have been pretty luck so far.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

"Are you having twins?"
Old 04-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a woman at dairy queen got fired after telling dh my belly was so fat i must be having twins....boy i was mad!!!!i would have walked right out if i already had mu ice cream in hand
Old 04-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

Every single time we tell my MIL that we're expecting she calls me "Fertile Mertyl" lleyes2:

The first couple of times...whatever... but she's said it ALL FOUR TIMES!!! I just want to explain to her that I don't spontaneously conceive - her son DOES actually have something to do with it!
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

With my first I got "well, you know abortion is an option" , "how did that happen?" and "oh you poor thing". I was 16 and yes, he was planned!! After he was born (weighing nearly 10lbs and born natural) I got "is that your brother" and "what a nice sister, watching the baby for mom". People are so stupid. Last week I had to bring my son his lunch. He's now in Jr. and someone said "Alex, your sister has your lunch". We both laughed

When I was pregnant with #2 my MIL said "we'll it can't be my sons, we only have boys" I also got "are you sure there's only 1?" and "wow, you're huge" Mainly by my grandmother I must add.

With #3 I didn't get much besides the 'are you sure there's only one" and "wow, you're going to burst"

With this last one I got "was it planned?", "you do know how that happens right" and "there is a reason they make birth control" after I had the baby I got a drunk aunt saying "I'm so sorry about the baby" in front of 50 people at a party, my FIL asking how I felt about it (not sure if he meant the pregnancy or loss), a comment about how I have an angel watching over me now (whatever people) and "everything happens for a reason".

I wish people would just shut up.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After having yet another miscarriage before conceiving my DD, my former OB had the nerve to say "Guess you just don't wait to spread them"

Needless to say I immediately left that office.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
MelissaCoffey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarah1218 View Post
Your Dh's thought gave me a little I didn't exactly understand why the first situation was said. Maybe most woman coming in didn't want their babies? Sometimes I wonder about people's comments...I have been pretty luck so far.
I think because I looked really young. I was pissed because I was 19, married, had been out of school for three years and been working in a professional job since the age of 16 in property managment. Being treated like a child was something I wasn't used to, as in my job no one really questioned me based on age....
MelissaCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
jkelstaten
Registered Users

With DD#1, I was seeing a midwife, but for some reason she was out of the office during one of my visits and I had to see the OB she works with. After seeing my weight gain, he actually had the nerve to comment "looks like you're putting on a bunch of weight" Well, duh! I was 38 weeks pregnant and retaining water like crazy! (I gained 20 pounds of water weight in the last month and I lost 35 pounds before my six week visit so it wasn't like I was pigging out )

During my very first prenatal appt ever with the midwife she did the pelvic exam and said "plenty of room to push a baby out there". Had it been anyone else I would have been totally insulted (I already know I have wide hips!), but she was saying it in a very positive way so I let it slide
Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
supermomelisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great stories Mama's. It's nice to not be the only one in the embarrassing preggy story group.

When I was preg. with my first, DH and his parents and I went on a trip to a little Bavarian resort. I was 8 months preg. , not huge by any means, and it was super hot in July, so we all got ice cream cones. DH and I got double scoops, and his was as big or bigger than mine. As we were walking around outside on the sidewalk, some nervy guy looks at me and says, "Thats the biggest one I've ever seen!" I immediatley was embarassed, and my inlaws start laughing uncontrollably. I went to the garbage can and threw out my ice cream cone. The inlaws to this day quote that SOB.
I've since then grown some ovaries and would most likely deck anyone that had the nerve to say something of such insensitivity to a hormonal preggy. What is is with some people???