Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spinoff: People's stupid comments

We had been TTC for almost 3 years before I finally got pregnant. Thanks to some fertility drugs of course... Well I am a labor and delivery nurse and I did not know I was pregnant until 14 weeks along. I was not sick, several early and expensive pee tests were neg., a blood test was neg. for ovulation, & my OBGYN who I work with on a daily basis said I could not possibly be pregnant The only thing that was positive was the temperature chart I kept every AM with a 99cent walmart thermometer. I finally found out at 14 weeks with a pos. early responce preg test (not really sure why I took it) and rushed to work. We *ahem* pulled out the ultra sound and DS was WAVING at me!! Anyway lets just say everyone mocked me through out the pregnancy for being so blind. Stupid comments like how could you NOT have known, was it a suprise, you of all people should know how/when it happens,... If people only knew the story behind the story and how much those comments can hurt. I was scared to death after I found out because I almost went to the Dr. to get all the immunizations to travel to Africa which would have been VERY bad for baby! So glad I was a procrastinator and did not go!

Advertisement

ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm 5'3" and roughly 112-115 pounds when not pregnant. It took a while for me to look pregnant. But when I was very pregnant (About 33 -35 weeks along - had gained about 20 pounds), it was noticeable that I was pregnant and not just enjoying a few too many cookies. This elderly woman followed me through the grocery store giving me diet tips and encouraging me to buy low carb pasta.

Laura who's loving life
Dyeing/Knitting WAHM
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #13
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

I was in the Walmart with DD in July. Its really hot so she is just in a diaper. Someone tells me that I need to keep socks on her so that she doesn't get a tummyache.
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #14
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMommyMommy View Post
Every single time we tell my MIL that we're expecting she calls me "Fertile Mertyl" lleyes2:

The first couple of times...whatever... but she's said it ALL FOUR TIMES!!! I just want to explain to her that I don't spontaneously conceive - her son DOES actually have something to do with it!
My MIL said that once to me and I told her, "Naw, it was probably your son's Super Sperm that did the trick" She hasn't mentioned it again.

When we were TTC#1 we knew we had some fertility problems because of charting and ovulation testing, so I went to a fertility doctor. We'd known each other for nearly four years, been married for one and I was 22, DH was 26. The doctor looked at my charts, asked a bunch of questions and told me, "You're young - it's not like you have to have a baby right now." Well, gee, doc, that's none of your business. Why did he care anyway? He was getting paid big money for it? I still don't get it. I went to the lab for bloodwork and was crying and the nurse at the lab recommended another doc in the building so I switched and I'm soooo glad I did.

I have a tilted uterus, so once I get to about 34 weeks, my fundal height doesn't vary much and I don't always look like I'm full term. All three times I've checked in to the L&D ward I've had nurses try to send me home because there was no way I was full term. Duh, they had my charts right there!

We got a lot of "Wow, was it an accident?" questions and they just make me sick! None of my children have ever been, or ever will be accidents, thank you very much!

Last edited by Mickiswing; 04-06-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Mickiswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #15
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiswing View Post
My MIL said that once to me and I told her, "Naw, it was probably your son's Super Sperm that did the trick" She hasn't mentioned it again.

When we were TTC#1 we knew we had some fertility problems because of charting and ovulation testing, so I went to a fertility doctor. We'd known each other for nearly four years, been married for one and I was 22, DH was 26. The doctor looked at my charts, asked a bunch of questions and told me, "You're young - it's not like you have to have a baby right now." Well, gee, doc, that's none of your business. Why did he care anyway? He was getting paid big money for it? I still don't get it. I went to the lab for bloodwork and was crying and the nurse at the lab recommended another doc in the building so I switched and I'm soooo glad I did.

I have a tilted uterus, so once I get to about 34 weeks, my fundal height doesn't vary much and I don't always look like I'm full term. All three times I've checked in to the L&D ward I've had nurses try to send me home because there was no way I was full term. Duh, they had my charts right there!

We got a lot of "Wow, was it an accident?" questions and they just make me sick! None of my children have ever been, or ever will be accidents, thank you very much!

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!! I was only 19 when I got pregnant with ds1, dh and I had only been 'dating' for 3 mos and were careless...well, we went with the flow and my family (mostly my brothers) referred to the pregnancy as an accident. My response was "NO...it's a surprise, NOT an accident" I just hate that...b/c it seems so unwanted to refer to any pregnancy or child as an accident. Each one is a blessing...anyway...

When we got pregnant this time EVERYONE's response was "hopefully you guys have figured out what causes it" I tell them, we think we have it figured out...we are gonna quit washing our underwear together! Like we aren't adults and know what makes a person pregnant?

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
Geeki
Registered Users
seller

I dunno DH said to me last night "wow hun your hips are wider...." I thought that was pretty impressive
Old 04-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #17
nikkiof5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 5 and if I had just a penney for every time I got "Dont you know what causes that yet"? I would be rich. Im so sick of hearing that!
NOw, the question I get all the time is "Hopefully someone got fixed" Are you KIDDING me? Number 1-Are we animals? Number 2-Why is it anyones business how many kids we decide to have? And Number 3- if anyone were to "get fixed" do they really think we would ADVERTISE it?
My MIL is the worst offender too! Like her son has nothing to do with it all!
nikkiof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
NaturalMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All your stories are making me laugh. I'll add a few of my own.

With DD, when I was 7 months pregnant, I was buying a house while my DH was still on deployment. I don't get very big at all when I'm preggo, and being that this was my first, I could hide it very well for a long time. Anyway, I was talking to the receptionist at the builders office one day, and made a comment about being pregnant. She apparently didn't know, so she asked how far along I was. When I said '7 months', she got this horrid look on her face and said, 'oh, is the baby ok??' What??? Do you really say that to someone?? What if my baby wasn't ok?

Somewhat related to being small, with DD, when I was about 6 months pg, I looked like I had a gut not quite a baby bump yet. Well, it was hot and I was too small for maternity clothes and just on the brink of being too big for my regular clothes, but I wore my regular shorts and tank tops anyway. I went into an ice cream shop and I overheard this table commenting about how I didn't need any more ice cream. I turned around and they were all staring at me.

Just before we got pg with DS, the lady at the post office told me that my daughter was so cute that I should "hurry up and have another". I couldn't believe that someone was telling me what I should do with my reproductive organs.

I've also gotten the "do you know how it happens?" "do you know how to turn it off?" "you must be crazy" "what were you thinking?" "are you going to get fixed after this?" "is this your last one?" etc, etc. etc.

And my last story came from today. My DD's dance teacher asked me today when I'm due. When I said, 'May 30th', she said, 'oh geez - you'll have your hands full' Not the first time I'd heard this, but I politely responded with "better full than empty". and walked away.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #19
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaCoffey View Post

I just wonder why...of all the things we DO have respect for...in our totally PC society why our sex lives, our fertility, our bodies and our babies seem to be so open for public comment....

all this is cute and I am going to finish reading them all, but wanted to say BRAVO for that comment. That is so true!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #20
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermomelisa View Post
I've since then grown some ovaries and would most likely deck anyone that had the nerve to say something of such insensitivity to a hormonal preggy. What is is with some people???

love the ovary part LOL that was cute.