Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

How to night wean

If I can't night wean DS (13 months) I'm going to call it quits altogether. He's still nursing at least every 2 hours. So between him and the alarm I set at 2am to test my diabetic DD's blood sugar, I don't get nearly enough sleep. I'm tired and I need more sleep.

How do I night wean? Right now he gets away with eating very little during the day (he slaps away food after a few bites) and nursing 3 or 4 times because he has an all-night calorie fest instead. But it's driving me crazy.

How do I night wean?

(btw, he starts out in a pack n play in our room, then comes to bed with us when he wakes up again and stays the rest of the night. I'm a co-sleeper when it's convenient, but it's not feeling so convenient anymore!)

Advertisement

DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
greenmommyx2
Registered Users

Re: How to night wean

wow, i can't believe you've made it 13 months on that schedule! nice job! i wish i had a suggestion for you. my son (9 months) still wakes at night to nurse too, but only about twice a night. i haven't been able to wean him at night either. i figure i'll stop feeding him at night whenever he starts to naturally wean himself completely.
greenmommyx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I had no luck night weaning my DD until close to 2.

BUT, is there anyone else who can help with your son at night while you wean? DH had to be my DD's night time parent during and after the weaning process. It didn't take much work on his part, but he could get her back to sleep. We also moved her to her own room at this point. We plan on starting a similar routine with my son when he is 18 months.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I used Dr Jay Gordon's method to night wean my oldest at 16 months. It worked well and my dh helped some but I did a lot of the soothing back to sleep w/o nursing myself. However - he was a good eater during the day. I am not sure where you would start considering your ds doesn't eat much except at night.
Can you nurse him in a quiet dark place during the day to limit his distractions? I realize that may not be a possibility with your DD at home too. Just an idea.
Hopefully someone else on here has done it! Hugs to you. Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Good news! Last night he woke up about 11:30. We were all in bed by then, so I nursed him while DH moved his bed into the family room. I put him back in bed (which he didn't protest at all, and typically doesn't) and then never heard from him again until 7am!! If he fussed at all during the night, I never heard him. But I'm a light sleeper, so I know he wasn't wailing all night. There's a chance he fussed and I didn't hear it. But phew, I'm so relieved. I really hope tonight goes just as well!
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote