Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
katieq22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm scared to try solids.

My boy was 6 months on the 7th. I'm ebf and haven't tried any foods yet. I don't know much about BLW and only have heard about it through here. I'm so afraid of choking but I see he is interested in foods. Why not puree it? Is it supposed to be for him to grab and initiate eating? Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Advertisement

katieq22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm scared to try solids.

do what you and baby are comfortable with mama! If he grabs at foods, see what he does with it... if not, then no pressure! It's very possible he might not even be ready for solids yet, some babies want to wait a while longer than others.

I do a combo of both purees and BLW... this has been the best fit for us (DD is 7 1/2 months old)
Old 08-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With DD#1 we started solids around 6 months, but it was an occasionally jarred baby food. With DD#2 and DD#3, we didn't start solids until 10-11months old, when they were able to pick up bite sized pieces of food and feed themselves. All were EBF.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
johnsbabymama
Registered Users
seller

I personally think 10 months is too old to start solids. I fed my children a combo of both real fruit and puree (mostly oatmeal/rice cereal) with puree fruit mixed in. They loved it! this is what made them happy, and every baby is different. If i would have waited till 10 months that would have been screaming and upset. Both my children would throw themselves onto my plate while i was eating, they both tried everything in their power to grab the food. Sounds like now is a good time to start trying and seeing what your baby likes. Babies are naturally curious and want to try what their parents are doing. Let them!
johnsbabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
JNLCsMom
Registered Users
seller

I think if he is showing interest in foods you can start now. If you are afraid of him choking, I would start with cereals and pureed foods first.
JNLCsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
GenevaL
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do what feels best for you, mama! There is nothing "wrong" with purees. It seem that with every "new" baby method, we as mamas are made to feel guilty about doing things the "old" way. We don't need any additional pressures!

Purees are yummy, easy to make and don't present the same choking hazard as bits. My DD would have eaten them forever. DS only liked them for a very short time and them let me know he wanted real food LOL! Every baby (and mama) is different!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevaL View Post
Do what feels best for you, mama! There is nothing "wrong" with purees. It seem that with every "new" baby method, we as mamas are made to feel guilty about doing things the "old" way. We don't need any additional pressures!

Purees are yummy, easy to make and don't present the same choking hazard as bits. My DD would have eaten them forever. DS only liked them for a very short time and them let me know he wanted real food LOL! Every baby (and mama) is different!
Thanks for this! I just started my 5 month old on purees the last couple weeks- so far he has had rice cereal, oatmeal cereal, and avocado. sweet potato puree is next! That picture thread with babies eating real food (RIBS!?!?) made me super nervous!! I just want to do things the best way- you know? For me the best way is purees right now because I am too scared to have DS choke.

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
mimsy.lou
Registered Users
seller

I did purees first, then after about a month (and even still), we did a hybrid of one puree per meal, with the rest being solids.

I was scared to start, too, since we were EBF. I didn't notice much difference in the beginning, but DD did drop her night feeding once we got into solids more.
mimsy.lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have only been BLW for a few weeks now and I love BLW because of the motor skills it promotes. He has to learn to pick up the food and get it to his mouth. He's also learning about how to move the food in his mouth.

I didn't realize all of these extra benefits until I tried it. My older 2 used baby food, so this is new to me as well.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
katieq22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for all the great comments & encouragment! I think I will hook up the diaper spayer & come up with a plan . I think part of my wanting to wait is because my 5 yr old son has many food allergies (dairy, wheat, soy, eggs, chicken, peanuts, bananas, beans- the list actually goes on). I didn't find out until around 3 and he had many health issues because if this. I felt very guilty. I did things a lot different then, but since have learned a lot. Anyway, this baby has shown some issues with tolerating my milk if I eat anything with dairy, gluten, & some other foods. I think I might buy some books on BLW and also some restriction on foods. Any suggestions?
katieq22 is offline   Reply With Quote