Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
help me feel comfortable with a homebirth!

So I am Due mid Jan. Here is my situation:

I live 45 mins away from the city and the hospital, about an hour from my midwifes house/office (where I would deliver if I choose not to do it at home). We have to drive through a mountainous area that often gets closed when weather is bad, which could happen in Jan here. I am ok with doing a homebirth, but I afraid of that "what if" factor. What if something goes wrong? We may have a hard time getting to a hospital, especially if the roads are closed. If they are closed, an ambulance could still go through, but they don't maintain it so it could be bad!

I had DD with a different midwife in the beginning of June and chose to do it at her home/office because it was my first baby and I was nervous about being this far out. I had a fairly straight forward birth. The only thing that went 'wrong' was baby's hb kept dipping really low. The midwife later explained that she was about ready to transfer us if I didn't get that baby out fast. But no reason why that would necessarily happen again.

One thing that is on our side is we have 2 emt friends and one paramedic friend and we all (DH and I included) volunteer at our local fire dept which also has a great ambulance. They have said before that we could let them know when the baby is coming and they could have the thing ready to go close by in case something goes wrong. So we have that comfort behind us.

My midwife simply said that if I go into labor and it is going to be a tricky drive in to stay put whether we choose a homebirth or not. She said she would rather me have the baby unassisted at home than unassisted in the car out in the cold somewhere.

So mamas with more experience, please help me make this big decision. I need more views.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
nappymaven812
Registered Users

Re: help me feel comfortable with a homebirth!

Well it sounds like you've got yourself pretty convinced to do a home birth not to mention that you have a pretty good set up! I would totaly do it if I were you. How long was your first labor? I think even if the heart rate becomes a problem like before you are even more likely to have the baby before that even becomes an issue. I went from a 68 hour labor with my first to a 5 hour labor with my second. So I wouldn't worry. I planed on a home birth with my first baby but my midwife was no longer available to come back to my house for the birth so we went to the hospital. Everyting went fine so there wouldn't have been any problems if we stayed at home. looking back, eventhough I had a hospial birth I know if I had planed on a hospital birth they would have wanted to interfere because it was progressing so slowly. By the time I got to the hospial I was at an 8 and had the baby about hours later. The only thing they did was gave me an IV and broke my water. I gave birth to my second baby at a birth center. It was nice. They didn't break my water so the baby was born in the sack. Once her head came out the midwife broke the sack. I guess I just have really thick sacks because I think the same thing would have happened the first time too if they hadn't broken it. Well I hope you enoyed these stories. I know everyting will work out great for you. Don't be afraid. It's better for you and the baby for you not to worry. God bless you!

Last edited by nappymaven812; 08-16-2011 at 11:18 PM.
nappymaven812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my labor with dd started at 4am. Hard and fast contractions. Then they completely stopped for a few hours. Around 1pm they started back up, completely random and all over the place! Called the midwife at 6pm, got to her house at 7:30pm and I was 7cm with a bulging bag. Took a shower with DH there and then my water broke. Baby was sideways so I wasn't dilating the whole way. I was told not to push for a while, that was the hardest part. Then pushed for I guess about 30-45 mins and baby was born at 12:57am. So labor was about 21 hrs from first contraction to baby. Not too bad for my first I suppose. I have always heard the second comes faster.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
MauceliMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I say go for it, call the midwife as soon as you feel labor coming on so if the weather is bad she has optimal time to get there. Or better yet, if you know the weather is going to snow you in around your due date, get a hotel nearby your midwife, and have baby there or at your midwife's house (that's awesome that she's giving you the option btw).
Proud CDing BFing Mamma to one bubbly girl age 2 ,expecting baby #2 March 10 2012 , and happily married to Italian Stallion daddy Mauceli.
MauceliMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here is my opinion:

Homebirth can be a good option for many women, and I support homebirth (within certain parameters). However, homebirth does carry increased risk and you have to be 100% comfortable with those risks. If a woman isn't 100% comfortable with her midwife, her surroundings, her increased risk, and the "what ifs", she may not be a great candidate for a HB.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had 9 HB's, most 45 minutes or more from the closets hospital. My last 8 were actually unassisted.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Annabelle: Do you live in NM? I really thought someone with your user name or something similar lived here....
Old 08-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is there a hotel you could stay at if the weather gets bad around the time you are due? I had this fear with my first. She was due early February and we get a lot of snow here. My midwife lived 45 minutes away. I live close to hospitals, so that wasn't ever a concern, but I did worry that my midwife would be driving over in the middle of a storm. Fortunately there was no storm the night she decided to come and our midwife got to our house in plenty of time to deliver my baby.

If you have longer labors I wouldn't worry too much about it. There's only a chance that the weather will be bad enough to not make it through the snow. I would definitely get some good chains for the car if you don't have 4WD and keep an eye on the weather. If there's a huge snow storm and you are 40 weeks maybe stay a few days at a hotel in town.
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post
Annabelle: Do you live in NM? I really thought someone with your user name or something similar lived here....
I did! We moved from NM late May, we are in WI now. Dh is still there in NM for work. If he doesn't get a transfer soon we will come back for winter.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The fact that you live the same distance from the hospital makes me think that you're better off planning a home birth, where the midwife is coming to you, than a hospital birth, where the weather might make that more difficult. Even if the weather is bad, and she's coming to you, it's better to be laboring at home than in a car (or ambulance). It's great that you have a backup plan with the ambulance; that would take some of the fear out of it for me, also.