View Poll Results: What color should I paint the front door/shutters?
Brown 3 13.64%
Gray 10 45.45%
other - please suggest! 9 40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help me pick a paint color for my front door/shutters, please!!

I want to make repainting the door & shutters (and maybe garage door, too) my fall project. I'm thinking either darkish brown or dark gray...or feel free to chime in with a suggestion! Here's what the front of the house looks like (along with DH & DS):

I think the door knocker & handle are brass, so I"ll shine 'em up to look pretty. Here's the detail of the door - I think it's a pretty door, I just don't like the color with our brick.

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me pick a paint color for my front door/shutters, please!!

I'd do a grayish blue.... I'd try to bring out that color in the brick as it's currently lost in all the red/orange tones. Can you get a new door handle in a black/wrought iron, then spraypaint the door knocker and lights the same color to tie in your wrought iron railing?

I think if you go with brown it will be too much of that color.... the roof/brick also have a lot of that brown tone and I don't think the look of the house will change much switching brown to red, they are too close on the color wheel.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with gray. I'm hesitant with the brown because you already have shades of browns in the brick and roof. However, also consider not keeping the gold on the door's knocker and handle, as well as changing the gold house numbers. I like how the dark color of your lights and rails stand out against the brick, so maybe that's the best tone.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
I agree with gray. I'm hesitant with the brown because you already have shades of browns in the brick and roof. However, also consider not keeping the gold on the door's knocker and handle, as well as changing the gold house numbers. I like how the dark color of your lights and rails stand out against the brick, so maybe that's the best tone.
I could probably remove & spray paint them (?). I'm not sure of how that all works, but DH could probably figure it out! The lights are new, so there will be no painting/replacing them! They are dark brown & there's a matching light pole in the front yard.

I guess I just thought brown because I'm getting all ready for fall colors around here!!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd go with a dark gray for the shutters and the garage door. I actually like the red front door, so you might see what you think about the red door once the shutters and garage door are painted. I think giving the tall shrubs a trim would make it look nice, too.

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

Black! Black would look so sharp! Good luck!

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
tonnabelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Blue-gray.....kind of the color of the sky right before a storm. It'd be perfect.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndoxx View Post
I'd go with a dark gray for the shutters and the garage door. I actually like the red front door, so you might see what you think about the red door once the shutters and garage door are painted. I think giving the tall shrubs a trim would make it look nice, too.

I know...the front garden needs to be trimmed...we've had a lot of rain/humidity lately so our plants grow like Jurassic Park around here.

I hate the air palm tree to the left of the door, but they cover the guest bedroom windown. Our street gets a fair amount of traffic, especially in the morning & evening, so I don't want the windows exposed.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Black too!

This is my fall project too! We have a red door which I like, but needs a paint and I saw a few amazing front door makeovers online which made me think a glossy black is so sharp and modern. You could keep the shutters red or do black too.

To avoid too drab a look then I would do accents like in spring a brighter flowerpot by the door with red/white flowers.

I'll try to find the makeover as she said which spray paint worked and which one's didn't. She took the door off hinges and then sprayed. This is easy to take off, but hard to put back on again as we've done that when insulating.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is the one I first saw and loved:

http://casabellaproject.com/2011/02/...door-redo.html

here are some others that came up when I googled. You really need to do the trim too in white so it stands out as sharp/clean and maybe new handle if yours is anything like my old brassy/brown handle!

http://www.decorchick.com/front-porch-facelift/

http://thismomloves.blogspot.com/201...-makeover.html

http://imperfectlybeautifulms.blogsp...-makeover.html