Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
PrincessPeaches
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
FT Cloth Diapering Moms: How do you decide?

I'm on baby #3, but it will be my first time cloth diapering. If it's your first time, how are you deciding what you will stock up on the most? I'm leaning toward prefolds. It seems easy and cheap! Of course, I'm sure AIO's are the easiest, but that's money I just don't have.

The thing is, I keep hearing what works for one, might not work for your baby. Opinions?

Advertisement

PrincessPeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ddc cding my upcoming 4th baby from birth.

For me my faves are xs bg, bummis preemie pf, thirstie covers
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
vittoriosmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: FT Cloth Diapering Moms: How do you decide?

If this is your first time CD' ing the decision will be difficult. But I would not recommend prefolds because you might just get discouraged right from the start and it might affect your entire CD experience.
Just think about it: you will spend your money on cloth and when you're done you will sell it and most likely get the bigger portion of your money back selling it here on FSOT.
I think that the resale value should matter to you as much as the cost. If you get prefolds they can get pretty expensive to resell because they are heavier and cost more to ship. Fitteds are very desirable and the elastic around the legs makes all the difference with avoiding leaks (and that's the most important part of any diaper isn't it?)
You can easily resell your fitteds here.
I would recommend some Kissaluvs (size 0), Bum Genius xs (these are AIO's- easy for outings) and even GMD Workhorse newborn (they are about $5 a piece) and a couple of thirsties duo size 1 covers (they will fit for a couple of months from birth).
That is just my opinion. I would hate to use prefolds on my newborn, especially when you are so tired you barely have time for a shower, it would be too easy for me to give up on CDing.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is my second time cding a newborn. I am usings kissaluvs 0's and covers and then after a few weeks making the switch to one size AIO's. I have tried every type of diaper under the sun and have had fun buying and selling and trying new things but I am tired and feel the need to make things super simple. I may throw some fitteds and covers in there once we move to the AIO's but for the most part that is what I am sticking with
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
flmamao2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a first time clothdiaper-er too I have no idea what to choose so Iv bought a bit of everything. I have worked up quite a stash now. I know it might not be the most cost effective solution, but wasnt sure how to decide unless I tried them myself. I have purchased everything off FSOT and have kept my cost fairly reasonable I think, and am hoping to sell what doesnt work back on FSOT if needed.

I have...
prefolds in preemie, orange edge, and infant
fitteds by crickett, mothers ease, wahm
pockets by wahm, bg, kawaii
aio by prorap, bg, joey's
covers-variety of size and brand including wool(interlock and knit)

I will mostlikely streamline my stash after the baby has arrived and I decide what will work and what I will like. I felt w/a variety I may be more likely to stick w/it w/o un-needed frustration

Right now it seems like an extream amount...I have approximately 8dozen diapers, I would like to narrow it down some but untill January Im not sure how

Last edited by flmamao2; 08-17-2011 at 03:31 PM.
flmamao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:

i'd get some fitteds to try and some prefolds, and use those with covers. i'd plan on keeping the prefolds unless you really want to deal with selling them. they work really well to mop up spit up, and make good doublers later on. fitteds and covers can be resold and you'll make a lot of your money back. nbs aren't in the diapers long enough to ruin them, so they'll probably still look good .
Old 08-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

This will be the 4th I cd, first didn't last long because I didn't know what I was doing, I cd dd and ds2 from nb until PT. I do like prefolds and bsww covers, they are very easy, you can either use a fold and snappi or simply trifold and lay in a cover. I also like KL0, they are easy to use on and off, aio's are great for when you are going to be out and about, less packing to bring with you. I plan to get a couple dozen prefolds and fitteds this time, not sure yet if I want aio's because they take forever to dry. I like pockets, they are harder to stuff when the diaper is tiny though because the back pocket is also tinier.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm considering myself a first timer b/c I didn't even have time to figure out what I liked with DS before he PT'd. I'm just getting a little of everything, and planning on selling off what I don't like. I have gotten lots of deals by buying off of FSOT and got lucky with a good bit of seconds sales. So we have PFs and covers, pockets, some aios, some fitteds, some wool, literally a little bit of everything.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would honestly get yourself a little of everything and see what you like, then go from there.

When I was pregnant with N, I assumed that I'd need just a stash of OS pockets and use that from when he fit into them until PTing, and that I wouldn't like fitteds at all. I did make some fitteds just to get through the NB and to where he was big enough for the pockets, just because flannel was cheap and he would be in them for a short amount of time. I found out I hated pockets, and DH would use them, but didn't really care for them either.

Joanna is right about prefolds though. Every single time I've sold prefolds on here, they've literally been FFS, and yet I still get people trying to talk down my price! You can only shove a dozen in a LFRB (so $15 alone for shipping), they're just so darn heavy that any other shipping gets expensive quick! It's very easy to lose money on shipping prefolds, I'd tread lightly on those until you know for sure you like them.

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would get a selection of different types and see what you like and then when size up/buy more get those.
I started with all pockets for DS then, they never fit DD1's chicken legs so I ended up doing a trial of different diapers and found that I loved PF's and covers. That is all I used for her. DD2 I started with all pf's and covers ( well mostly) then she had trouble with PUL, so now I use wool and fitteds for her ( and a few pockets since now PUL bothers her less)