Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
wrensmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
well... he IS communicating...

...that he likes to use his diaper!!! aargh. I EC'd my daughter starting at about 4 months and she was pooping only in the toilet by 6 months. My son, well... we started EC from birth and he was doing ok, but he is mobile now (crawling, pulling up and cruising). He HATES diaper changes and HATES being put on the potty (we have a little potty). We still try, but he makes it quite clear what he wants. He is 9 months old. I will distract him on the toilet for at least 15 minutes, I give up and literally 5 minutes later he will poop in his diaper. If I see him starting to go I can sometimes catch part of it, but he still fights it.

I try to tell myself that I should just be glad that I'm giving him the opportunities and this is about communicating. Not early potty training, BUT I really really don't like spraying poopy diapers... I was so spoiled with my daughter!

Ahhh.. just had to vent. I feel silly venting to my friends (my 9 month old still poops in his diaper! lol). If anyone has an similar experiences or advice I would appreciate it!

Thanks-
Heather

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
mynde
Registered Users
seller

Re: well... he IS communicating...

Heather - i can totally sympathize with you! we started ECing our son around 3 mo. and he was doing really well until 8ish mo. he has been teething and becoming more mobile ever since that time and is now 11 mo. he arches his back, screams, and cries at the suggestion of diaper changes or sitting on either his little toilet or the insert on the big toilet. i agree - i know, i know, it is about communication. but YES, it is frustrating cleaning up poopy diapers after boasting 'he NEVER poops in his diaper anymore.'

one thing that helped a little (until yet another new tooth started coming!) was giving him lots of nakey buns time and acknowledging his misses - 'you are peeing' or 'you are all wet because you peed. lets get you some dry clothes.' (i let him scoot around in just a shirt or unsnapped onsie). i also have him "help" me clean up his pee. he does not actually wipe the wetness, but some adjacent section of the floor. he loves to do "wipe, wipe, wipe." we have hardwood floors. so, it is not a huge deal to clean up. cant imagine how i would handle it with carpet. but i think it really tuned him back into his elimination needs. it seemed to help for a few days. looks like we may need to wash, rinse, and repeat...let me/us know if you have success with any other tricks.

Last edited by mynde; 08-17-2011 at 07:47 PM.
mynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
somegirl99
Registered Users

In the same boat with a prolonged potty strike here too!
somegirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is totally normal! When they become mobile pottying, or sitting down on a potty when they want to move, just isn't always as important to them. They sure have a lot on their minds. They also often seem to find they like standing to go instead of having to sit on a potty. You could try offering a place for him to stand up to go - the bath tends to help a lot. Both of mine went through this. Oh, I also used a pail when my daughter was little. And I also would let her go in the kitchen at that age since I didn't mind cleaning the kitchen. I'd throw a Gerber prefold down to wipe up the mess. We went for many many months without my daughter using the actual potty - same with my son when he learned to walk, though with him I hadn't really considered many other options so he did just use his diaper a lot of the time.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
wrensmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

THANK YOU! I'm glad there are others like us and that this is normal. I was thinking I might try to potty him in the bathtub so I'm glad someone suggested it. We have bamboo floors upstairs so maybe we could just switch to spending more time up there and leave him nude. He sure is happy when he's naked.

It is so helpful to talk to others in the same situation. It doesn't change the situation, but it somehow makes it seem easier and I feel more empowered and confident. A big thank you to all of you for the quick replies!