Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
linaboo
Registered Users

Britax Marathon or Redian?

My DD1 is three,currently in marathon,which we bought in June,one of the wings of head protection got broken,thinking of exchanging it for radian instead.We travel in the airplane a lot,I do have a go-go kidz trolley for that case,since many report radian to be heavy.I don,t really understand,how foam wings,which got broken almost effortlessly can protect kids head during the crash.Otherwise I am ok with Marathon,but should I get radian instead?

Advertisement

Last edited by linaboo; 08-18-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Sorry,wrong spelling
linaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Britax Marathon or Redian?

The outer shell of the marathon is what contains the child's head. The foam is just to absorb energy. Britax has very good customer service, so I'd call them about the foam breaking. They will likely replace the foam for free, or if it can't be replaced, then perhaps they'll replace the whole seat.

The big advantage of the Marathon over a Radian is the ease of use. The advantage of the Radian is that it lasts longer (ie isn't outgrown as quickly).
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
idnar82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have both and I like them both for different reasons...I love my Marathon because it is so easy to use. And I love the soft cover. And I love that the cover removes easily. I love my Radian because it will last my tall kiddos WAY longer and I really like the low seat profile vs. the really tall base on the Marathon. Don't know if you're using the seat for RF or FF, but the Radian has more leg room than my Marathon Classic RF. I can't compare it to the newer Marathons though. Happy seat shopping!

FWIW, if I had to buy another seat for my almost 3 year old, I'd go with a Britax Frontier. To me, its a great combo of the high weight (and shoulder height) limit of the Radian and the wonderful ease of the Britax seats :-) Too bad I don't need a new seat!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
linaboo
Registered Users

Re: Britax Marathon or Radian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnar82 View Post
I have both and I like them both for different reasons...I love my Marathon because it is so easy to use. And I love the soft cover. And I love that the cover removes easily. I love my Radian because it will last my tall kiddos WAY longer and I really like the low seat profile vs. the really tall base on the Marathon. Don't know if you're using the seat for RF or FF, but the Radian has more leg room than my Marathon Classic RF. I can't compare it to the newer Marathons though. Happy seat shopping!

FWIW, if I had to buy another seat for my almost 3 year old, I'd go with a Britax Frontier. To me, its a great combo of the high weight (and shoulder height) limit of the Radian and the wonderful ease of the Britax seats :-) Too bad I don't need a new seat!
I looked at frontier and it doesn't say anywhere that I can use it RF,it's just a booster,right?I would like to keep her RF as long as possible.And ,yes,I would prefer to have more leg room also.It especially bothers my DH that her legs are bent.I have to hear about it every other day.So if you are saying Radian is better in that meaning,I'd go with it.I do also like that it's low.I'm nt sure what you mean by the ease of use.Aren't all of the seats installed the similar way?We have Peg Perego infant for the DD2,Maxi Cosi my DD1 outgew and marathon now,I didn't see much difference in installation.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

The mechanics of installing every seat are pretty similar, BUT some seats make it easier to get a GOOD installation (<1" of movement in any direction at the belt path) than others.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Radian is a great seat. I love the one we have. It can be very difficult to install in some vehicles and is incompatible some as well. What vehicle would this seat be going in?

I wouldn't worry too much about the Marathon foam breaking. Call Britax and let them know that it has happened and they will let you know what can be done about it. Breaking foam does not mean that the seat is of poor quality or will not protect your child in an accident. The foam is delicate when handled but it is not designed to protect your child's head like jjordan said, its purpose is to help dissipate the crash forces.

If you are not planing to forward face her any time soon then there is no reason to look at the Frontier.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
idnar82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linaboo View Post
I looked at frontier and it doesn't say anywhere that I can use it RF,it's just a booster,right?I would like to keep her RF as long as possible.And ,yes,I would prefer to have more leg room also.It especially bothers my DH that her legs are bent.I have to hear about it every other day.So if you are saying Radian is better in that meaning,I'd go with it.I do also like that it's low.I'm nt sure what you mean by the ease of use.Aren't all of the seats installed the similar way?We have Peg Perego infant for the DD2,Maxi Cosi my DD1 outgew and marathon now,I didn't see much difference in installation.
Yes the Frontier is only forward facing so if you are still going to keep her RF for a while longer, I wouldn't go with that. My son flips back and forth RF and FF depending on what car seat he's in and where his seat happens to be installed in the cars, so we're not quite full time FF. I just love the Frontiers!!

As far as ease of use, I just love the Britax seats. Their Latch installs easier than any other seat I've ever installed and I can get it rock solid in any vehicle in about 30 seconds. I love that!

The Radian really does offer more leg room though (and the shoulder strap height seems taller I think) so if that is an issue for you, I would highly suggest checking one out. The lower profile on it makes it super easy for my son to crawl in and out of it too. We've only used our Radian RF, and he seems extremely comfortable in it. He usually drapes his legs over the sides of the seat (he is a tall boy - wears a size 3T/4T) or folds them up in the seat. Really, he has plenty of room. He wouldn't fit half as well RF in his Britax...in fact, we don't use our Britax RF for him anymore. If he is in his Marathon or Boulevard, he is FF.

Basically, if leg room is an issue, I'd go with the Radian...or a True fit. I have no personal experience with these but everyone else seems to love them :-)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tell you DH that if her legs were uncomfortable then she would be complaining about it. My DD kept her legs bent in every seat even when she couldn't touch the seat of the car. She had to FF for a short while in a truck and she always kept her legs tucked up in the seat even thuogh she had all the room in the world. Kids generally sit with their feet up under them..I still do
Old 08-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

I actually despise my Marathon. Yes, it is easy to install but our seats don't come out of the car so that doesn't outweigh the issues I have buckling it, how bulky it is, etc.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
linaboo
Registered Users

Thank you very much for your replies,ladies.Sorry,couldn't reply right away,don't have much time to be on-line
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
The Radian is a great seat. I love the one we have. It can be very difficult to install in some vehicles and is incompatible some as well. What vehicle would this seat be going in?

I wouldn't worry too much about the Marathon foam breaking. Call Britax and let them know that it has happened and they will let you know what can be done about it. Breaking foam does not mean that the seat is of poor quality or will not protect your child in an accident. The foam is delicate when handled but it is not designed to protect your child's head like jjordan said, its purpose is to help dissipate the crash forces.

If you are not planing to forward face her any time soon then there is no reason to look at the Frontier.
It's going to ford edge.Still like the idea of metal frame in Radian,though.