Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
yatts10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you send your kid to private school?

If you have or currently do have your child in private school please tell me your reasoning behind it and tell me if the money was worth it.
My DD is on the waiting list at a great computer magnet school but if she doesn't get in I am considering private school. Tuition is high but I feel it is a good investment. I guess I'd like to hear other mamas opinions. Thanks

Advertisement

yatts10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you send your kid to private school?

my neighbor sends her kids to catholic school because of their religion, our schools suck real hard, and we have university of dayton, which gives a little priority to catholic kids

mine are young, but i would hs b4 private

nak
Old 08-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1 starts at a private school in Sept. I chose that mainly because I want to ensure that there is a significantly smaller student:teacher ratio and that he is taught the values I would want him to learn. I can't yet tell you if the money is worth it from that aspect as he hasn't even started yet. But, *I* went to private school for all of elementary and I know it was worth every cent to my parents. The class sizes were exponentially smaller. And when I went to public school in Jr High, I was far enough ahead that I probably could have skipped 7th (extremely glad I didn't tho cuz it def got harder lol).

Not saying this is the case for EVERY private school or that public schools can't be good, but this is the choice we have made for our children.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not private, but mine go to a charter Waldorf-inspired school. We love it. But if we had $ I would gladly send them to private school. especially when it comes to high school.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not private, but mine go to a charter Waldorf-inspired school. We love it. But if we had $ I would gladly send them to private school. especially when it comes to high school.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

We send our children to a private Catholic school. Our oldest did 2 years of preschool there and is getting ready to start 5th grade (so we've been there for a long time). Initially, we lived in a not-so-great school district when our oldest was a preschooler. We started him in the preschool because the elementary school takes kids from the preschool before other kids and they always had a wait list. We planned to send him to the school because we didn't like the school district we were attached to. Well, we moved when he was 4 into a fantastic school district. However, we had already made the decision to send them to the Catholic school. We do so for so many reasons. The school has fantastic academics - they start sign language in preschool and continue it through 3rd grade, Spanish starts in kindergarten and continues thruogh 8th grade, Mandarin starts in 4th grade and continues through 8th. Their religious education is incorporated into their school day. The classes are usually smaller. We know the family of every child in all 3 kids' classes and I know that I can count on them when I need them. The environment is fantastic.

It is fairly expensive, but it is worth every penny.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

DP

Last edited by z2akids; 08-19-2011 at 07:46 AM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't, but have discussed it for different reasons. Dh thinks dd is a genius- while she is smart and language is ahead of her age group, he is wearing daddy goggles. He is worried (and with good reason) that she will be bored in a ??? not really sure how to describe it maybe mixed level class and he thinks that in private school she will be more challenged. I happen to feel that you can get a good education in public schools and look at mixed level classes as a good thing- if the teacher uses the kids talents- kwim? There is lots of research showing that if encouraged to do so that the kids that are ahead will help those that are behind and it benefits everyone. My reasons for considering private school are the possibility of non-traditional learning (like Montessori schools) and dd's peanut allergy (thinking I could have more control over the food) and the fact that in general the food is healthier at private schools.

DD is starting preschool in a couple of weeks- we narrowed our choices down to a private and a public. In the end we went with the public only because its closer to our house and she will have the same kids around her all through school. She will see them at the Y and in her sports stuff. She wouldn't have that at the private.

My mom went to private schools (catholic) when she moved to public school in HS she was so far ahead she graduated 2 years early. My grandma alter my mom's birth certificate so that she could get a real job because she was 16 when she graduated.

I do think that it is worth the money, but is it necessary for a great education? I don't really think so. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Kennoahy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I do no currently have any kids in private, but my baby sister was from k-4. She was at the top of her class in a highly accrediated very well respected school. I, as an aducator, was not pleased with her progress. When we moved her to public, she was amost 2 full years behind in all subjects. She could read beautifully, but didn't comprehend. She knew her math fact, but didn't understand why and how. She only memorized stuff. She is doing much better after intesive interventions with me and her teachers at school. My parents didn't believe me because she appeared to be doing well. For me to have
seen the progess. Kids we making in public, it was not worth the time or money for her to go to private. Sure the religious taining was there, but it was at the cost of her academics.

As a public school teachedr, I have seen loads of kids come from private schools and are usually at least a year behind. Lots of times, the parents think they are greaft thinkers, but they only parrot things back. I am not saying that all private school is bad, but I will say that I have seen a lot of parents disappointed and hurt over the waste of money.

As a mom, I am considering private for my children. I have worked in public school for a long time and see the attitudes of lots of teachers. They are overworked, underpaid and burnt out. I don't want tohave that attitude influncing my child. Hat attitude is part of the reason I quit my job. I just needed a break.

Sent from my Evo Shift using DS Forum
Kennoahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do send our kids to private school. The public schools that they would be going to are rated very low for test scores. Only about 100 kids go to the school they go to, my ds has 3 in his class and dd has 7. They don't believe that one shoe fits all so they make an islp for every kid. Swimming, Spanish, and Chinese is included in the curriculum. They do really well with dd's diabetes, they call me when her b.g. is off.

Obviously not all private schools are good. You have to research them. Test scores need to be compared to other schools in your area. They should be willing to share that information.