Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Registered Users
Pumping Problems!

My son is 9 months old and has only had breastmilk. I am teacher and during last school year was able to pump just fine.

However, since I had the summer off and he mainly just breastfed, I hardly used the pump. Now that school is starting I have attempted to try to pump and it takes 30 min + for my letdown to happen (if it happens at all).

I only have 30 minutes at school to pump! So I need some help. I don't understand why all of a sudden my body won't recognize the pump. I know that I still have a good suppy, and DS can get my letdown to happen within seconds.

I talked to a lactation consultant and she suggested BF and pumping at the same time, which I tried, but my son is so into the pump that he is too distracted to eat. Looking at pictures and massaging my breast has not been that successful either.

Please let me know if this has happened to you, or if you have any ideas to help! I have a pump in style, so it shouldn't be the pump that's the problem...I would really hate to have to start using formula at this time...

Thanks in advance!

betsyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Pumping Problems!

My pumping changed when ds was 3 first I could pump a full feeding for him in no time flat, then, all of sudden, it took forever. It helps if I look at photos of him and think about nursing while I pump and NOT look at the pump (a watched pot never boils). It's still not as fast as it use to be, but it works.

Also try to relax as much as possible. Being stressed about not being able to pump will make it harder.

Hopefully some other mamas will have more suggestions for you.

Good luck!
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote