Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Baby hates being in the car...

My baby is 4 weeks old and already absolutely hates the car. Definitely no taking her for a ride to get her to sleep!

Another mom suggested putting some extra padding (like quilt batting or something) between her car seat cover and the carseat, to see if that would make her more comfortable. The cover does seem really thin, but I keep thinking that wouldn't be safe.

She's riding in a Baby Trend Flex Loc infant seat.

Advertisement

Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby hates being in the car...

My son absolutely detested his carseat! I think it was just bc he couldn't move around in it and he liked (still likes) to stretch. Also, my son is warm-natured so I think he got a little stuffy (too warm) in it so he was uncomfortable. Now that it's summer, I start the car and crank up the AC for a minute to cool the interior before we leave so he smiles when I put him in the seat and plays or falls asleep during rides.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mevans, sometimes you can find quilty blanket things on like etsy that are made for carseats. They have holes for the straps to go through, etc. The idea is for cold places, you can keep them in a blanket.

of course, then there's the belief that kids shouldn't wear coats in a carseat for safety reasons, so I don't know how they'd feel about those.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Please never put anything that did not come with your car seat in between your baby's body and the seat.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is your LO refluxy at all? Our LO had MAJOR trouble with her bucket seat, just the way it was shaped put to much pressure on her tummy

I am a SUPER attached Mama and if you are too your LO is used to Mama's comfy body not a seat all alone in the back of the car. If this is the case I promise in will get easier. Cushions are big no nos and I doubt that is the issue anyway. Babies sleep in cribs and pack and plays all of the time and they are designed to be very firm.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Definitely do NOT put anything between your baby and the seat, or between your baby and the harness straps.

How set are you on using the portability aspect of the infant seat? If you are okay with leaving the car seat in the car all the time, then I'd go ahead and try out some convertible seats. It could be that the baby will like one of those more. Watch that the straps on the seat are at or below the baby's shoulder level, otherwise the seat is too big for you baby. (Even seats that are rated down to 5# might be too big, surprisingly.) Good luck!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
epiclesis
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Mevans, sometimes you can find quilty blanket things on like etsy that are made for carseats. They have holes for the straps to go through, etc. The idea is for cold places, you can keep them in a blanket.

of course, then there's the belief that kids shouldn't wear coats in a carseat for safety reasons, so I don't know how they'd feel about those.
http://carseatsmadeeasy.blogspot.com...in-winter.html

Hopefully seeing those pics will make you change your mind. I never saw an issue with it either until I've seen visuals of how much it really makes a difference.
epiclesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Momof6girlz
Registered Users
Formerly: steenerson7
seller

My Mood:

My LO hated her carseat also!! We hardly went anywhere for her first year cause she would cry the whole time I am all for extended rear facing but with my DD at just over a year we turned her around and the car was a much happier place
Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD also hated the car for the first 4-5 months. We had a 45 min commute (each way) to work/daycare and she literally screamed the whole way

I tried different seats, music, having DS sit right next to her and talk to her... nothing helped, and unfortunately, going to work wasn't optional! BUT, she did outgrow it! Hang in there, I know how stressful it is to hear them crying in the car
Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Try putting him into a convertible seat. My DD hated, detested her infant seat. I moved her into a convertible, and though it isn't her favorite place to be, she doesn't mind it anymore. But until she fit into the convertible I had (Decathlon at the time, now she's in a Advocate CS 70) riding in the car was torture for us all.

ETA: sorry...try putting HER
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote