Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Registered Users
Are B6 and progesterone safe to take while BFing?

My DD is almost 17 months old and still BFing. I'd like to continue until she weans herself.

We are TTC baby #2 but I have some questions. I have a short luteal phase and took B6 to lengthen it in order to get pregnant with DD.

From what I've read, a short luteal phase is usually because of low progesterone levels. My old OB (we've moved since then) prescribed progesterone pills for me when I was pregnant with DD because I had a miscarriage before DD and she suspected low progesterone).

So...I'm wondering if I should ask my new dr for progesterone pills again when I do get pregnant again...but are progesterone pills safe to take while breastfeeding? I don't want to take anything that would be dangerous in any way for DD. Is it safe to take B6 while breastfeeding?

jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Are B6 and progesterone safe to take while BFing?

Both are safe will BF'ing. I am taking B6 now, and was considering going through infertility treatment to conceive DS2, and my RE would have had no issues with me continuing to nurse through treatment (ended up not needing the infertility treatment).

Just be aware that if you do get pregnant while BF'ing, that you can potentially loose your supply while pregnant, or your DD might wean as the pregnancy hormones change your milk. Many mamas are able to successfully nurse through a pregnancy, but just be aware that a pregnancy before your DD weans could prompt weaning.

Best of luck to you mama!
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote