Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Calling the police

So I see lots of people say they would call the police if they noticed a child not properly restrained. I am couriou what you call the police for and if/what the police do.

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Calling the police

I've called the police because of children sitting in the hatcback before. I followed them until the police got there and they pulled them over. I have no idea if they ticked them or just gave them a warning but they do take it seriously when the children are in real danger.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I called before. We followed them for awhile til we lost as they ran a red light. I don't know what happened. They had 5 unrestrained kids in a sedan back seat.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

A couple weeks ago we had driven past and been passed by the same car a few times. No tint at all, so I could literally see through the back right through the windshield. When we were even with them, or they us, I could see the child in the middle leaning too far forward to be properly restrained.

But after the 4th exchange (and them giving me the stink eye 4 times) I saw the child in the middle back seat (it was a late 80s sedan, so lap only belt at best) leaned forward, standing, shoulders between the front seats. I hate that I didn't gave the regular phone number, but I actually used 911. We were on a divided 4 lane with a 70mph limit, and I wasn't sure which rural ky county we were in. The operator took it very seriously.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

My DH is a police officer and if they have someone free when they get the call, they will give the plate number/description to the officers and someone will go over to the area to look for them.

We have been driving together before and have seen a couple kids bouncing all over the back- it was no question they were NOT in a seat, and they were maybe 2 or 3? DH had me call 911, actually.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

dp

Last edited by NebraskaGirl82; 08-20-2011 at 11:43 AM.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:

i've always wondered what to do when this happens. i saw a mom holding her baby on her lap in an suv (other kids in the car, but couldn't tell if they were restrained or not because we were following) and i had no idea who i should call. is it ok to call 911? i debated it but they ended up way ahead of us after not too long.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Crow Mountain Crafts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We call the police every single time we see a child that is not properly restrained. Whether it be a newborn who is forward facing, a car seat that is not being used properly (ie. last week there was one sitting sideways in the back of a extended cab truck that was not even hooked in). When I see a child who is supposed to be in a car seat and is not in one, when I see people smoking in the car with a child (illegal here), or when we see something being totally mis-used (ie. the mom who had her nb forward facing in the front seat of her 4 door car).

Yeah, our local police know us by name. We report make, model, and the direction the car is traveling. Our local police seem appreciative and always make an effort to send an officer.
Crow Mountain Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow Mountain Crafts View Post
We call the police every single time we see a child that is not properly restrained. Whether it be a newborn who is forward facing, a car seat that is not being used properly (ie. last week there was one sitting sideways in the back of a extended cab truck that was not even hooked in). When I see a child who is supposed to be in a car seat and is not in one, when I see people smoking in the car with a child (illegal here), or when we see something being totally mis-used (ie. the mom who had her nb forward facing in the front seat of her 4 door car).

Yeah, our local police know us by name. We report make, model, and the direction the car is traveling. Our local police seem appreciative and always make an effort to send an officer.
I am very glad to hear that smoking is illegal. I think that bothers me just as much as the car seat issue.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
mrstilly
Registered Users
seller

I can't stand this. I really am disgusted by people who don't take the safety of their child in a vehicle seriously. FFing an infant!?! What is wrong with people? Some babies don't like to be in a carseat, but crying is no reason to FF them. Some babies get gassy after eating, is that a reason to not feed them?
And my in-laws giving me the whole "back in my day" justification for their argument against not ERFing is ridiculous. I would totally call the police if I saw a child restrained improperly or not at all.
mrstilly is offline   Reply With Quote