Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
Hopetobe
Registered Users

Next seat, if not Britax Advocate....

So, before we even had our ds, I had decided that the convertible seat we would get (when the infant seat was outgrown), would be a Britax Advocate. I was sold that it was THE BEST. Well, fast forward a bit, he is now 6.5mo, 18lbs, 29"(a few inches away from his infant seat ht limit, yikes!), and I recently found out that Britax irresponsibly now makes a baby carrier that is NOT safe! (It is crotch dangler style similar to Bjorns/Infantino that is not good for childrens' hips and spine alignment and development, and usually not very comfortable for the babywearer either). Since they failed to research that product well, it makes me question how much they really care and how safe their seats really are(yes, I realize all approved seats pass fed. safety tests, but I was sold that they were the safest or at least one of the safest, and thus might be worth the extra $) Even if the carseats are pretty safe, the issues with their baby carrier make me want to boycot them anyway. So, now what do I do? What non-Britax convertible seats do you think are the safest, especially for long, lean babies RFing for a long time (and why)? What does your child seem to find most comfortable? TIA! I'm feeling so lost in the carseat world now, esp. since I like to research stuff a lot and finding little time to do it now!

Advertisement

Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Next seat, if not Britax Advocate....

Duologic or Duologic2/Sweedish Seat

Or, we just got the new maxi cosi pria seat and its really nice.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not sure exactly how to respond to your post, but A) I am diehard Britax fan and I would not buy the Advocate. The airbags are a bit of a gimmick IMO and would actually not do much for the child riding in the seat; B) Britax seats are among the easiest to use and install; C) the type of carrier Britax is making has not been proven to be unsafe. Yes, it can cause some issues, but if it was unsafe, millions of children would be dying because of them and/or have walking/hip issues. To my knowledge, this is not happening. Is it not the highest recommended type? Sure. Is it highly overpriced? Yep. Unsafe? I wouldn't go that far. With my DD I had a Bjorn and she lived to tell about it. Britax is simply making a business move in producing the type of carrier that consumers will buy. I would not discount an entire line of seats over a carrier, but that's just me. There are plenty of Britax haters here(for different reasons entirely), so you would be in good company.
That said, I own a Marathon 70 and a classic Marathon and love them both. The 70 is so easy to use and install. I have every confidence that it will do the job in protecting my child.
I will say that there are many other seats that are nice seats, as well. IMO, they are not as easy to use, install or clean, but still nice. I would look first at the True Fit Premiere, since I like seats with some form of anti-rebound(Britax has the tether). Radians also tether, but I despise them, so they are at the bottom of my list. I also wouldn't get a Swedish seat. Both because it is illegal here and because there are seats available here that will rearface a child for a good long time.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the airbag things on the Advocate are a total gimmick. Despite perception, I don't think there are people here that hate Britax seats. There are those of us that don't think they're the end all be all child restraint. If you have a very small vehicle, a Britax seat may be perfect for your situation. There are tons of seats out there and they are perfectly safe. I don't like crotch dangler carriers and I try to discourage their use but like Jacky said, if they were so harmful there would be thousands of children with hip and back problems and that simply is not the case.

We will be more than happy to help you pick a seat for your child. Just bear in mind that much like everything else, most expensive does not always equal safest or best.

Lets start with what vehicle you drive and what your rear facing goals are and go from there.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

I am not a Britax fan. Don't own one! They are fine, just not my taste, overhyped, over priced (but who am I to say that when I got another overpriced seat)....
Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All car seats are "safe" - many make claims about being safer in 1 aspect or another but the bottom line is ALL US seats pass the same testing and without a company releasing their testing data and the competition doing the same we really cannot say X seat is safest.

However, with that said there are seats our there that are designed to be very comfortable, easy to install, fit a wide range of kiddos best, etc. My kiddos are long/lean.... DS1 is almost six and fluctuates between 38/40lbs..... however he is off the charts tall - his brothers are the same.

I personally LOVE the First Years Truefit (also branded as the Lamaze True Fit at BRU).... easy to install, one of the tallest shell heights on the market, TONS of legroom as compared to a Britax convertible, etc. It does however have a 35lb RF weight limit which is not high enough for some children to RF well in to their third year. My ds2 is 3.5 and still RF in one. He loves it. But again, i have light weight TALL kiddos so the seat is perfect for me.

Personally i would look in to the new maxi cosi pria 70.... it seems to have all the things i like about the TF but with a 40lb RF weight limit.

In any case - my kiddos hated Britax and didn't last long in our house.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m
I think the airbag things on the Advocate are a total gimmick. Despite perception, I don't think there are people here that hate Britax seats. There are those of us that don't think they're the end all be all child restraint. If you have a very small vehicle, a Britax seat may be perfect for your situation. There are tons of seats out there and they are perfectly safe. I don't like crotch dangler carriers and I try to discourage their use but like Jacky said, if they were so harmful there would be thousands of children with hip and back problems and that simply is not the case.

We will be more than happy to help you pick a seat for your child. Just bear in mind that much like everything else, most expensive does not always equal safest or best.

Lets start with what vehicle you drive and what your rear facing goals are and go from there.
I agree with this.
And there are a lot more people who hate the Radian than Britax. We have 2 Boulevards and they're very easy to install, compared.
The Advocate is one I'd pass up, because you're paying extra for something with very little function, other than added width.

Without knowing your car, I'll say that for long lean babies, the True Fit is usually one of the most recommended. The Premiere is their anti-rebound model. My daughter is 3 & a half & 28lbs, & we are considering one for her to use when the baby is born in February when she will be 4. She isn't exceptionally tall for her age, but for her weight she is.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Hopetobe
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m

Thanks for the input so far. I wasn't trying to cause an argument. Anyway, we have a Cadillac CTS and a Hyundai Sonata, but plan to be looking for a midsize or larger SUV sometime in the next year or so. At 6 mo, ds is above the 95th percentile for height, not sure if that will be the trend or not though. He's pretty lean for his height and has never been too chunky, so I wouldn't think the lean part would change too much as he gets older. Thanks for your help!
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
pcjs
Registered Users

If you only have one child and are going to a bigger SUV, I'd get a seat with that in mind. Look at the Pria. It just came out and is very easy to use - even my dad who could not use any other seat could and my son keeps playing with his as its in the living room right now. At first I wasn't sure what to think about it, but I'm really liking it right now. I haven't tried the true fit but based on what the PP said, I like the anti-rebound bar, etc. I got the Pria as we needed a grandpa friendly seat.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I watched & read the review on the Pria. And now I'm torn! The seat within a seat is so cool! Now I need to figure out a place with it & the TF and try both.