Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Next seat, if not Britax Advocate....

The Pria looks like a fabulous seat. My only gripe about it so far is the stupid 40" rule that Dorel is sticking to so strongly. They say you cannot rear face a child that is more than 40" tall in their seats. I think that overall height rules are dumb but they won't budge on it. If you have a tall child and you would like to rear face for a long time then a Dorel seat (Safety 1st, Cosco, Eddie Bauer or Maxi Cosi) may not be the best choice.

For a tall child I usually recommend the First Years True Fit (RF to 35 lbs) or the Radian (RF to 40 or 45 lbs depending on model). The Radian does not play well with all vehicles so it is best to try before you buy if at all possible.

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
The Pria looks like a fabulous seat. My only gripe about it so far is the stupid 40" rule that Dorel is sticking to so strongly. They say you cannot rear face a child that is more than 40" tall in their seats. I think that overall height rules are dumb but they won't budge on it. If you have a tall child and you would like to rear face for a long time then a Dorel seat (Safety 1st, Cosco, Eddie Bauer or Maxi Cosi) may not be the best choice.

For a tall child I usually recommend the First Years True Fit (RF to 35 lbs) or the Radian (RF to 40 or 45 lbs depending on model). The Radian does not play well with all vehicles so it is best to try before you buy if at all possible.
So, what would happen if you didn't follow the heigh/weight rule. Is it really bad not to follow it? I didn't realize that and that is really annoying. (I needed a seat my dad could use vs. worrying about those details).
Old 08-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would never disobey a weight limit on a seat. It's rated to that weight for a reason. As a tech, I would never advise a parent to ignore what Dorel has to say about the 40" rule especially since they are so adamant that it is followed. If a parent makes the decision to ignore it and go with the 1" rule then so be it.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
I would never disobey a weight limit on a seat. It's rated to that weight for a reason. As a tech, I would never advise a parent to ignore what Dorel has to say about the 40" rule especially since they are so adamant that it is followed. If a parent makes the decision to ignore it and go with the 1" rule then so be it.

Because 40lbs is 40lbs, lead or feathers. But one 40 inch tall child next to another 40 inch tall child while seating may be a big difference. And a 39 inch child might outgrow one seat before a 41 inch tall child, if the taller one is all leg. For instance, while seated, my mother and I look the same height. When we stand, I'm 5-6 inches taller.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does the Pria also have to use the level line or whatever Dorel calls it? To make it "45 degrees"? Or can it be used more upright?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

It can be used more upright. According to the people who went to KIM the angle thing is supposed to be officially changing in October.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
Hopetobe
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m
It can be used more upright. According to the people who went to KIM the angle thing is supposed to be officially changing in October.
What do you mean the level thing is changing? (like by who, what to/from, etc.)
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Dorel will be making the change and it should some sort of statement saying that the seat can be more upright then the currently required "line level to ground" that makes some of their seats over reclined and darn near impossible to fit in many cars.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
virtuousflapper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m
Dorel will be making the change and it should some sort of statement saying that the seat can be more upright then the currently required "line level to ground" that makes some of their seats over reclined and darn near impossible to fit in many cars.
Interesting, will this apply for all Dorel seats? I just passed on an CA 65 bc of the angle issue.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #20
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are not sure yet if it's going to apply to all seats. It would be really nice if it did. Dorel has said that the CA does pass testing as upright as 30 degrees though.