Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Elsa's Mom
Registered Users

BLW: Don't they have to be SOFT foods??

I'm reading a lot of postings where people are letting babies feed themselves foods with skins on them. Isn't this a hazard? Or can babies handle things like whole green beans and peas?
I've started her with a chunk of very ripe banana, but I have to admit that it slides right out of the poor girl's hands. It's her first time, so I think she's doing great just eating the slime on her hands, but I'd like to try something she can grip, so I'm wondering: How soft do these foods need to be? If I cook them the way we eat them (steamed just barely tender), can she eat that?

Advertisement

Elsa's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
As far as the banana goes, peel just a few inches then use scissors to snip the peel off close. DH calls it a circumcised banana! That way they can hold the whole banana because it's still in it's skin but can't eat flapping pieces of the skin!

For other veggies, it varies for us. Broccoli the need slightly al dente or the florets break off of the steams whole. For potatoes, pasta, asparagus, carrots and peas, I cook them longer then for DH and I as they need them softer. We have never had any luck with green beans in any form. HTH!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: BLW: Don't they have to be SOFT foods??

Yep do the circumcised banana thing. As far as things with skins, DD had them. She hated the texture and spit the skins out.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I give chucks of pear and plum with the skin on, easier to hold. I also give strips of chicken breast, chicken legs,meatballs and fist sized chunks of pork chop. I started giving finger foods at about 7-8 months, when they seem interested.Whole peas, string beans, broccoli florets, sweet potatoes fries (baked), halved grapes, etc have been offered since we started solids. No problems with choking at all.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I cooked things longer and softer for her, but she loved the skins. She's only choked once, and that was on a tiny piece of slimy/soft canned peach that didn't have any skin on. I think a parent knows when their child is ready to have those kinds of foods and if you are concerned, then I would monitor them very closely while eating that. My friend gave her son whole large grapes at a very young age and I was nervous for her, but he's never had a problem, so it works for them. Since my DD has more teeth, now and I know she is good at chewing, I give her those types of things, now....whole grapes, larger peices of meat, fruits/veggies with skin. She doesn't do well with stemaed green beans, but loves the ones in the can which are softer so that's the kind she gets instead. You know your child's limitations. Hope that helps!

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I give everything with skins on - banana, pear, apple, orange, lemon, peach, plum, apricot. She spits the skins out after the soft part is gone. I tried avocado with the skin on and she didn't go for that at all. But then, she's never too interested in avocados. I also give her tomatoes with the skin and sometimes she eats the skin and sometimes the skin comes out. She's had cantaloupe with and without rind.

I have steamed carrots and parsnips, but found when I gave her them hard, she just gnawed on them - but it didn't hurt her. Also slices of uncooked bellpeppers (yellow, red and orange).

I have given her frozen green beans, she gnaws and sucks on them and then the skin usually come out after awhile. Steamed asparagus, she gnaws and sucks until the harder skin gets spit out.

cooked corn and peas, well, she 'eats' them. but really, I find them mostly whole in her diapers. Oddly, I've also found a big clump of orange pulp in her diaper - looked like an octopus. The little pulp bubbles never burst even with her stomach acids.

anyways... HTH

I agree with shalom - you know your kids limitations best. but also, you know your own limitations. Don't feel pressured to do anything you're uncomfortable with until you're ready.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
lil_nic80
Registered Users

I almost always give him him food with skin/peel/rind on, for grip. He has learned to eat around the peels of different items, like cantaloupe. He loves string beans, but that is just him. I trust him to eat, and I know that if he was less interested or confident in self feeding I would have approached solids him differently.
lil_nic80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Stuff like apples and plums, I'd take a bite first so that the initial 'opening' of the skin was done, and I'd pass it over. He figured out pretty quickly not to eat stuff like watermelon peels.

He always surprised me with his ability to have crunchy things, even with only two teeth. He had toast right away. I would have thought it wouldn't have been pleasant on the gums... But they tell us pretty quickly what they want and what they don't.

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Funny story: I once dropped a pear on my son's tray to entertain him for a few minutes while i put clothes in the drier. I had intended on mashing it up when I got back. He was maybe 10months, had only two teeth, and wasn't yet feeding himself. I came back and he was eating the whole thing, gumming it to death, piece by piece. So, I let him continue! Juice was everywhere, and by the end all that was left was the stem and the skin! I didn't think he knew what a whole pear was but HE certainly knew what he was doing.
swismiself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa's Mom View Post
I'm reading a lot of postings where people are letting babies feed themselves foods with skins on them. Isn't this a hazard? Or can babies handle things like whole green beans and peas?
I've started her with a chunk of very ripe banana, but I have to admit that it slides right out of the poor girl's hands. It's her first time, so I think she's doing great just eating the slime on her hands, but I'd like to try something she can grip, so I'm wondering: How soft do these foods need to be? If I cook them the way we eat them (steamed just barely tender), can she eat that?
Yes she can eat them. Steamed is great. Roasted is awesome too (potato, squash, carrot, sweet potato) as they are crisp on the outside but soft inside. My 6 month olds have had no problem with them or steamed broccoli or cauliflower florets. Banana is tricky but oh so fun, too soft a grip they slip out, too hard a grip they squish. Pear they didn't really get the hang for a few months but we kept persisting. It's all about learning and experimenting and fun. If it goes everywhere but in them, who cares.
Babies love peas, it helps develop their pincer grip. Beans tend to get squished and thrown on the floor even now at 15 months but she likes to suck on them. Skins aren't a hazard if all safety precautions are followed and they learn very quickly to avoid them or they just eat them, a bit fruit or veg skin does no harm at all.