Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question about MMR vaccine and a 4 year old

My son will have his 4 year check up next week, and I'm torn about the decision to give him the MMR vaccine.

So far, he has been vaccinated only for Hib, DTaP and polio. I originally was going to give the MMR vaccine at age 4, but now that we're here - I'm having second thoughts.

If he DOES get the shot now, will he have to have a MMR booster next year at age 5? If so, does it make more sense to just wait until next year so he only has to have 1 shot?

If you delayed vaccines, at what age did you do the MMR?

Advertisement

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Question about MMR vaccine and a 4 year old

If your unsure, skip it, you can always get it but can not un-get it kwim?
My ds will be 4 next month and has not had the mmr at all, I am going to wait until next year when he turns 5 and goes into kindergarten. I signed the waiver for school so he can attend preschool this year and was given no hassle at all.

Last edited by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox; 08-22-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
My ds will be 4 next month and has not had the mmr at all, I am going to wait until next year when he turns 5 and goes into kindergarten. I signed the waiver for school so he can attend preschool this year and was given no hassle at all.
Thanks for responding. I also signed the waiver so he could go to preschool last year, and it wasn't a problem at all. I think I probably will wait until age 5 to get it...

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

I delayed ods until 2.5, yds is 20mo and he still hasn't had his and probably won't until 3 or more.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

What is it specifically about the MMR that worries you? I think that would make a big difference in whether you should wait or not. We delayed vax, but decided to get the MMR at age 2.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Be aware that there has been a pretty significant outbreak of measles in Europe, and some cases here in the US were brought over by travelers from France. France has low vaccination rates, including the MMR, and measles has made a comeback there. I can't find the article where I was reading about the outbreak in France, but IIRC they have had over 6,000 cases so far this year, with a 40% hospitalization rate for things like pneumonia, encephalitis (which can cause blindness and brain injury), and so on.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerica View Post
If he DOES get the shot now, will he have to have a MMR booster next year at age 5? If so, does it make more sense to just wait until next year so he only has to have 1 shot?
IIRC you are still supposed to get 2 doses even if you get the first one after age 4. They are just supposed to administer the two doses at least 4 weeks apart.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
Be aware that there has been a pretty significant outbreak of measles in Europe, and some cases here in the US were brought over by travelers from France. France has low vaccination rates, including the MMR, and measles has made a comeback there. I can't find the article where I was reading about the outbreak in France, but IIRC they have had over 6,000 cases so far this year, with a 40% hospitalization rate for things like pneumonia, encephalitis (which can cause blindness and brain injury), and so on.
Encephalitis with the measles is rare. You have a .001% chance of getting it. Receiving the MMR vaccine also carries reactions that include pneumonia and encephalitis, along with a whole host of other things. Even with the MMR vaccine, one can still get measles. Many people that hesitate with/delay/decline the MMR vaccine do so for those reasons.

OP, follow your gut. If you'd rather wait until your child is 5 before giving him the vaccine, then do so. Waiting until 5 yrs. is fine. That is actually when it's listed at for the Dr. Sears alternative schedule. He will most likely need two shots though, separated by at least a month. FWIW, we were select/delay until my son had a reaction. We were planning on getting him vaxed for MMR at 5 yrs.
expecting someone new 11.14

Last edited by aerobebe1421; 08-22-2011 at 03:21 PM.
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like to do 1 (or maybe 2) shots at a time, with a couple of months in between shots. I put the MMR off until last with my kiddos. My yds is autistic but he was delayed with immunizations and symptoms became really obvious 13-15months. For my kiddo I truly don't think immunizations are to blame. That said, I hate shots myself so I'm not going to make my kids get more than 1 at a time. MMR's hurt me when I had to get one.