Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
think DD is eating enough??

Hi mamas!

DD wakes up at 6 am to eat (6 oz bottle) then is up for the day around 8 am... she'll eat some puree food and maybe some pancakes or toast for breakfast (depending on the puree she'll eat 2 oz or 4... usually 2) then another 6 oz bottle before nap at 11. Wake up for lunch (2 or 4 oz of puree and a cracker or so) 6 oz bottle before the second nap (around 3:30). Then dinner (2 or 4 oz of puree again, usually no BLW stuff for dinner) and another 6 oz bottle before bed around 8:30 pm.

Thats only 24 oz of formula day She used to eat 30 - 32 oz and the same amount of food. Should I try to sneak another bottle in there somewhere? The most she will take is 4 oz during the day... and 6 oz if she's about to go to sleep...

She's 7 1/2 months old...

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
My ds is also 7.5 mo and I also worry when he has too little formula or too much. But he also has 4 bottle a day- but 8oz.

So maybe you could just increase the amount you give her at each feeding. You could also use formula to mix cereal, etc.

This is off topic- I am amazed that your dd is eating pancakes & finger food. Does she have teeth? Ds doesnt have teeth yet. My ds still gags on purees & cereal. I'm stressing that he doesn't eat enough- if he gags then he refuses to finish... So frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Basilsmommy
Registered Users

Re: think DD is eating enough??

My DS is 9 months old and he has that same exact schedule. He has eaten that way since about 6 months. The pediatrician said it was fine for us. He growing nicely and has enough wet and dirty diapers. I would think if your LO is doing well then it's fine. They will slow down on formula as they begin to eat more food.
Basilsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSews View Post
My ds is also 7.5 mo and I also worry when he has too little formula or too much. But he also has 4 bottle a day- but 8oz.

So maybe you could just increase the amount you give her at each feeding. You could also use formula to mix cereal, etc.

This is off topic- I am amazed that your dd is eating pancakes & finger food. Does she have teeth? Ds doesnt have teeth yet. My ds still gags on purees & cereal. I'm stressing that he doesn't eat enough- if he gags then he refuses to finish... So frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Goodness, I WISH I could give her a larger bottle during the day, but if she's not about to go to sleep, she will not take more than 4 oz at a time... I MIGHT be able to sneak an 8 oz bottle before bed or a nap.... she's usually done at 6 oz though...

DD is GREEDY! lol.. she wants everything.. we started BLW at 6 months but something just didn't fully agree with me so we switched to doing both puree's AND BLW, this has worked great and DD isn't a fussy eater at all. Some little one's just don't have an interest in food until much later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilsmommy View Post
My DS is 9 months old and he has that same exact schedule. He has eaten that way since about 6 months. The pediatrician said it was fine for us. He growing nicely and has enough wet and dirty diapers. I would think if your LO is doing well then it's fine. They will slow down on formula as they begin to eat more food.
Glad your doc says all is well!! My DD growing great, she was born at 5lb 8oz and 17 inches and is now a little over 16lbs and almost 28"!! (Tall, like daddy) sometimes I don't think she's had enough super wet diapers... but I think I'll pay more attention to that today and see how it is.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Antigone
Registered Users
seller

My daughter will also only take 24oz of formula a day or so, plus she isn't eating as much solids at your DD. We do 4 6oz bottles but in actuality they're more like 6.5 with the powder, although she usually leaves a little bit in the bottom so she rarely eats the whole 6.5. It has been a real struggle trying to offer her food at different times to see if she'll eat more. I think 24 oz is ok if they're eating a lot of solids, unfortunately my DD eats about 2 oz in the morning and 2-3 oz in the evening of solids. I'm trying to add in a lunch but trying to figure out when to do it so she'll still eat her bottle. If I offer bottle too soon after solids she won't take it and vice versa.
Antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally understand! the more solids I do, the less bottle she drinks.. but I'm concerned about calorie intake and vitamins... ugh!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
As long as she's making 6+ wet diapers and gaining weight, she's fine. I think they say that like 15oz is the minimum you want.

My 26lb kiddo eats about 19oz a day. I was worried at her 9month appt that she wasn't eating enough (she was eating 25oz at that time) and the pediatrician said she was fine.

You read all over the place that they're 'supposed' to eat like 2.5oz for every pound they are, but some kids just don't. And they grow just fine.

It is intimidating knowing that you can't rely on formula or BM to get vital nutrients. Hubby and I eat a lot healthier now knowing that we have to meet nutritional needs for our daughter. I mean, we always gave her healthy stuff, but we didn't have to stress it as much as we do now that she's actually relying on solids for vitamins, etc.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
As long as she's making 6+ wet diapers and gaining weight, she's fine. I think they say that like 15oz is the minimum you want.

My 26lb kiddo eats about 19oz a day. I was worried at her 9month appt that she wasn't eating enough (she was eating 25oz at that time) and the pediatrician said she was fine.

You read all over the place that they're 'supposed' to eat like 2.5oz for every pound they are, but some kids just don't. And they grow just fine.

It is intimidating knowing that you can't rely on formula or BM to get vital nutrients. Hubby and I eat a lot healthier now knowing that we have to meet nutritional needs for our daughter. I mean, we always gave her healthy stuff, but we didn't have to stress it as much as we do now that she's actually relying on solids for vitamins, etc.
Yes!! I find it kinda tough

We are getting about 6 or 7 wet dipes a day.... so I'm not stressing much.. She's also wanting to eat more and more solids... which means even less bottles.. that little turkey!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
My DD is all over the place now. She cut down to just 3 bottles a day for like 3 days. Then started freaking out like she changed her mind and was super hungry for just liquid.

I don't know if it's a growth spurt or starting to be that toddler diet thing where it's more about what they eat in a week rather than a day.....

Ugh. Sometimes I just feel clueless.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I TOTALLY understand!

I know a 10 month old who only nurses at night already and eats meals throughout the day.... he's healthy as a clam and doctor is happy with him. If I was his mother I would have been FREAKING out.. but I guess we have to trust our babies a LITTLE bit huh?? lol... sooo nerve wrecking