Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you HAVE to forward face early...

...what can you do to make baby as safe as possible? My friend's DD screams nonstop while RFing, and she told me she can't take it any more and will FF at 12mos even though her DD is only 17lbs at 11mos. What resources can I give her to make FFing as safe as possible?

She knows all the data on ERF, so please don't preach - her DD literally cries herself to vomiting in the carseat. They went to Italy and FFed because there was no other option and there was no crying.

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you HAVE to forward face early...

Sorry but I think she needs to wait at least until the min! The min is 1 and 20lbs so unless she gains 3lbs in a month I wouldn't do it. No seat allows you to ff under 20 lbs, so she has to be 20 lbs to ff correctly. It's against the law and against the manufacture instructions to ff sooner than that and she won't be safe.

Other than that, make sure the seat is installed correctly, the harness is nice and snug, chest clip is at armpit level, straps come out at or above her shoulders, and she is in the center of the backseat.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

17 lbs and 11 months is illegal and recklessly dangerous. She does not meet the minimums of any seat available in the US. Once the novelty of forward facing wears off she will start screaming again and will be even harder to get in the seat than she was before because all she has to do is go stiff as a board and she will slide right down to the floorboard.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post
Sorry but I think she needs to wait at least until the min! The min is 1 and 20lbs so unless she gains 3lbs in a month I wouldn't do it. No seat allows you to ff under 20 lbs, so she has to be 20 lbs to ff correctly. It's against the law and against the manufacture instructions to ff sooner than that and she won't be safe.

Other than that, make sure the seat is installed correctly, the harness is nice and snug, chest clip is at armpit level, straps come out at or above her shoulders, and she is in the center of the backseat.
this and also what kind of seat is she in? A bucket or convertible. Maybe she can change the incline or get a new seat, that might help??
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Fluff Butt Evelyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I assume she's exhausted all other options, like toys and mirrors and whatnot? I like the suggestion of changing the TYPE of rear facing seat, if at all possible. I would be hesitant to FF early, especially with the new recommendation being two years.
Fluff Butt Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Like I said, she has all the information - and she is waiting till 12 months, but I am not able to change her mind beyond that. The law here only REQUIRES 12 months or 20lbs, so I can't report her to the police. I am trying to keep her daughter as safe as possible since I cannot force her to ERF. I will recommend the center seat and harness tips, and I will try to emphasize that FF may just be a passing distraction, but is there anything else she can do? A better carseat?
Old 08-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

There is no safer car seat. Her spinal cord is going to be just as vulnerable no matter what seat she is in.

There is a booster/impact shield combo that is supposed to be coming out at some point called the Kiddy World Plus. Kiddy says that it is safer than a FF 5 point harness but we don't know if that is true. I have not been able to find any studies that confirm their claim.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
pcjs
Registered Users

Tell her to try other people's seats and see if it is better. My son is particular and I take him shopping and he is very clear on what he likes and doesn't like. (I even took him at a few months old and he was clear). I'd try it being a seat issue first. If baby can't see out the window, I'd try on with a base or sitting higher up as I noticed my son liked that.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It might be a seat issue. My son always loved the car, then one day I put him in someone else's car seat and he screamed his head off. Could be the fit of the car seat and when she ff, it was at a different angle or something. So if she can try a few other seats, a more up right angle, especially if she's in a bucket, a comfy convertible might help. My son has always hated seats that don't have much padding, and he's been quite vocal about what he likes even from a few months old. Other than that if it's FF or nothing, middle seat, and use it correctly, it's not ideal , but if it's going to happen that's the safest spot.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
novemberlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's probably just a stage and she should wait it out. I did, and in the meantime, I only took baby in the car with me when absolutely necessary. My DD used to start crying and try to climb out of my arms as soon as she saw the car from the time she was 8 months to about 13 months.

I toughed it, just like she should. A crying baby is better than any of the other outcomes.
novemberlily is offline   Reply With Quote