Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you HAVE to forward face early...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
Like I said, she has all the information - and she is waiting till 12 months, but I am not able to change her mind beyond that. The law here only REQUIRES 12 months or 20lbs, so I can't report her to the police. I am trying to keep her daughter as safe as possible since I cannot force her to ERF. I will recommend the center seat and harness tips, and I will try to emphasize that FF may just be a passing distraction, but is there anything else she can do? A better carseat?
Really not trying to argue but I always thought it was 1 AND 20lbs because the seats don't allow under 20lbs FF. Like I've never seen a seat that says Forward Facing 15-65lbs. I thought they all said 20lbs, so in that case it still is illegal and I would tell her that she needs to wait until 1 and 20lbs. Who knows she might gain that much by then but I'd still throw that out there. I could be wrong.

I would really recommend having her try different seats and reclines. Maybe she wants to be more upright and see the world, which she can still do RF just in a different seat. Otherwise as long as the seat (doesn't matter which) is used correctly there's not much else you can do.

Advertisement

mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the advice - I'll definitely offer her my carseat to try, and see if any of our other friends have another model that she can test RFing. I also read on another thread about a baby who screamed from carsickness, but couldn't articulate the problem - maybe suggesting dramamine, too?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Federal law requires all seats to have a FF minimum of 1 AND 20 lbs. As far as I know, no state says 1 or 20, that is a common misconception. All Dorel seats (Cosco, Safety 1st, Eddie Bauer, Maxi Cosi) have a 22 lbs and 34" minimum requirement to FF.

Many kids go through an "I hate being restrained" phase. It commonly occurs around 10-13 months of age. Parents think it's because the child wants to be turned around but the child doesn't know anything but rear facing so how could they know they want to be turned around? If motion sickness is an issue then making it to where the child cannot see out the side windows could help. I know of people who have used Dramamine to keep from having to turn their child around because a having child that has to take some medicine to ride in the car is better than having a dead child or a child with a spinal cord injury that you know you could have prevented.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
They also have child sized sea bands. And I would trey changing the incline, our the seat before FFing.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with everyone that said to try a different seat and also look into the angle. My kids (and many others) HATED being at a 45-degree angle when RFing and are much happier more upright. Many kids I know also screamed in the bucket seat (or a not-so-cushy convertible like the Scenera) but were great once they were in a Graco MyRide or similar.

The bottom line is that at age 1, the spinal column is still able to stretch farther than the spinal cord. The bones in the spine don't fuse until sometime between age 3-6. Rear-facing is 500% safer, perhaps you can show her how the AAP is recommending RF to age 2 or 30lbs, and then see which other car seats you can arrange for her to try out.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 AM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would have her try a really wide seat RFing. My kiddos hated being cramped. Maybe she should try out a TrueFit.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 AM   #17
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the pp that said that it could be the seat. My son screamed in our Cosco seat from Seattle to Portland once. He hated that seat! However he has no problems in our Radian or Britax.

Also at that age my son went through a screaming fit whenever we would get into the car. I noticed that we were going on a lot of short trips so I started going on longer ones or wouldn't stop the car till he was calm (positive reinforcement) and he got over it fairly quickly. Kids are smart and they may think that screaming gets the car to stop so they can get out not realizing that you are where you needed to go.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #18
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I think the Kiddy World Plus is coming out in November...

But yeah it IS illegal if she is not 1 year AND 20 lbs. It's not either or, it's BOTH. Sucks for her but she is just going to have to deal with it!
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #19
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with the pp who said try different seats. Especially if she's in a bucket...a lot of kids HATE the bucket and then are able to ride more comfortably and happier in a rf convertible. GL
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Like I said, she has all the information - and she is waiting till 12 months, but I am not able to change her mind beyond that. The law here only REQUIRES 12 months or 20lbs, so I can't report her to the police. I am trying to keep her daughter as safe as possible since I cannot force her to ERF. I will recommend the center seat and harness tips, and I will try to emphasize that FF may just be a passing distraction, but is there anything else she can do? A better carseat?
Is she in WI too? From here: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...child/laws.htm,

It says "Less than 1 year old, or less than 20 lbs. must be in a rear-facing child seat in the back seat", which means if the child is either less than 1 or less than 20lbs, the child must be rear-facing. So, yes it's illegal in WI for a 17 lbs child to forward-face.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!

Last edited by KrisM; 08-21-2011 at 09:13 AM.
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote