Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Carseats - Bucket vs. Convertible. Help me decide!

I've been trying to decide for a while whether or not to get an infant carseat for the newbie. Ds is in a convertible right now that is 5-40 lbs (I think, off the top of my head). He's 33-ish lbs, so will need a new one soon anyway. My question is: those of you who use convertible seats for newborns, what do you do with the baby when you're in a store, restaurant, etc?

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Carseats - Bucket vs. Convertible. Help me decide!

We used a bucket with N, but I drove a TINY Subaru 2.5RS. To get the bucket into the car and in it's base was such a complete PITA that I was not taking it back out when we would go to stores or restaurants. It would come out of the car when we got back home. It helped that he hated the seat too... he would SCREAM even on a 10 minute car ride. I bought a Sleepy Wrap, would put it on before we left the house, and then take N out of the bucket seat and put him in the wrap. It made shopping trips so much easier, especially if N needed nursed. I could just adjust the shirt within the wrap and line him up, instead of taking him out of the bucket, holding him while walking through the store, etc. Just take care when eating foods at restaurants... eat off to the side, not over their head. He did have some lettuce leaves dropped on his head before I completely figured out that maneuver.

The bucket we used with N was also the bucket from Z, so it expired this past March. I'm personally not buying another bucket when the baby may be in it for 4 months (Z outgrew the bucket within 4 months), plus I drive a Fusion now, and between Z's booster and N's RFing convertible, I can't fit a bucket. I can fit another RFing convertible though, so the Sleepy Wrap will get some more use!

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
heavenlyblessedmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We'll be putting baby straight into a convertible and I'll wear baby when we're out and about. I had an infant seat for my youngest but after discovering baby wearing I never took it out of the car anyway, lol.
Teresa, Married To My High School Sweetheart, Dustin, Since May 30, 2007. Mother To Philip Kael, Born February 12, 2008, Marshall Conner, Born February 12, 2009, Hunter Andrew, Born March 7, 2010, Warrick Devlin, Born February 7, 2012, & Elizabeth Lorelei born May 27, 2013
heavenlyblessedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

I really liked the bucket in the winter for getting a baby inside wherever we were going. Now granted I live in Minnesota, but with using the shower cap cover and blankets rather than a coat since I didn't want to add bulk under straps, I found it hard to transfer baby from a carseat to a carrier at the car in the winter. I am also a little nervous about babywearing on icy footpaths though.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:

weve always used a convertible. i'll admit the bucket was tempting this year because this will be a winter baby, but we can't fit one in our forester. we ended up with a coccoro, which is tiny. the weight limit only goes up to 33 lbs though (i think). my 2.5 year old can still barely fit into it.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
benoliviaallen
Registered Users
seller

Our bucket goes to 35lbs
Old 08-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So, everybody wears the babies even while eating? I wore my ds a little, but he hated it.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
sbdf13
Registered Users
seller

I wore DS while eating it was difficult. I didnt want to eat anything hot in case it got on him. Some times we would trade off who held him while the other one ate that sucked too. This time Ill probably just bring the stroller into the restaurant. Or maybe just not go out to eat till he can sit by him self lol
sbdf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

We used a convertible for a while with dd but then ended up buying a chicco keyfit 30. I LOVE that bucket so much! She is still in it today, we are looking for a new convertible for her because I don't like the one we have. I need to get her a new one soon so that we can get her used to a different seat and baby can have the bucket. I babywear too, but going into a resturant or something it would be nice to have a bucket. DD never really sat in it though unless I was by myself. If DH was with me (most of the time) we took turns holding her to eat and walking around stores. She didn't like being worn when she was tiny either. But now she wants to be worn a lot and the carrier is quickly becoming too small

I vote bucket because it is going to be cold out! I like to put baby in the seat inside where it is warm!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes
We used a convertible for a while with dd but then ended up buying a chicco keyfit 30. I LOVE that bucket so much! She is still in it today, we are looking for a new convertible for her because I don't like the one we have. I need to get her a new one soon so that we can get her used to a different seat and baby can have the bucket. I babywear too, but going into a resturant or something it would be nice to have a bucket. DD never really sat in it though unless I was by myself. If DH was with me (most of the time) we took turns holding her to eat and walking around stores. She didn't like being worn when she was tiny either. But now she wants to be worn a lot and the carrier is quickly becoming too small

I vote bucket because it is going to be cold out! I like to put baby in the seat inside where it is warm!
If I get a bucket, it will be a chicco. I'm just trying to weigh the options money-wise. I'm gonna have to get a bigger convertible for ds very soon anyway, so do I really want to spend twice the money when I theoretically could just use our current convertible for the newbie? Gah! Decisions, lol!