Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Carseats - Bucket vs. Convertible. Help me decide!

I am unsure which I will use, I would prefer to use the radian I have here, it is still in the box, but I saw a nb in a radian80 and it looked too tiny, carseat too big, no snug.
If we do get a bucket, it will stay in the car as we also babywear. For the question about eating, me and dh switch off as well, I have tried to eat with the baby in a rs and it is hard.

Advertisement

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegirl75 View Post
If I get a bucket, it will be a chicco. I'm just trying to weigh the options money-wise. I'm gonna have to get a bigger convertible for ds very soon anyway, so do I really want to spend twice the money when I theoretically could just use our current convertible for the newbie? Gah! Decisions, lol!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Are you going to keep him rfing or ff him? What seat is he in now? Some convertibles don't fit newbies well anyway, so you may not be able to use his for the baby for a while. There aren't a whole lot of seats that rf farther than 40lbs if that is what you are looking at. If he is going to be ffing and you are on a budget, you should look at the evenflo maestro. They sell them at baby depot on san mateo and Montgomery. It's about $80 and you can get a coupon for 15% off. It is a good ffing seat that ff's bigger kids well too. Or look at the nauti, it is a nice big kid harnessing seat and turns into a good hb and lb booster later. They are more expensive, but not too bad. I have a convertible I am trying to sell that does fit newbies good if you are interested
Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
abbi_n_nadia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery
I really liked the bucket in the winter for getting a baby inside wherever we were going. Now granted I live in Minnesota, but with using the shower cap cover and blankets rather than a coat since I didn't want to add bulk under straps, I found it hard to transfer baby from a carseat to a carrier at the car in the winter. I am also a little nervous about babywearing on icy footpaths though.
it's way too cold in January to get the baby out of the car in the snow and into a carrier to wear them. So infant bucket it is for us. We have a Britax Chaperone infant seat left from dd2 so thats what we will use for this baby. I also use the shower cap style cover and then a blanket over the top of that (plus a fleece blanket directly on baby but NOT between them and the straps).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
I am unsure which I will use, I would prefer to use the radian I have here, it is still in the box, but I saw a nb in a radian80 and it looked too tiny, carseat too big, no snug.
If we do get a bucket, it will stay in the car as we also babywear. For the question about eating, me and dh switch off as well, I have tried to eat with the baby in a rs and it is hard.
I can totally see me dropping food all over the baby if I'm wearing him/her, lol

Old 08-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes

Are you going to keep him rfing or ff him? What seat is he in now? Some convertibles don't fit newbies well anyway, so you may not be able to use his for the baby for a while. There aren't a whole lot of seats that rf farther than 40lbs if that is what you are looking at. If he is going to be ffing and you are on a budget, you should look at the evenflo maestro. They sell them at baby depot on san mateo and Montgomery. It's about $80 and you can get a coupon for 15% off. It is a good ffing seat that ff's bigger kids well too. Or look at the nauti, it is a nice big kid harnessing seat and turns into a good hb and lb booster later. They are more expensive, but not too bad. I have a convertible I am trying to sell that does fit newbies good if you are interested
He's ff now Shannon. He's 2.5, about 38 inches tall, and weighs at least 33lbs. He's a big boy! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely check them out! Oh, and we have 2 Cosco Sceneras right now, I believe the weight starts at 5lbs.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, the scenera is pretty good. Some carseats that say they start at 5lbs don't really. They harness will be above the shoulders when it needs to be at or below for rfing. We tried DD in a britex marathon classic at 10 months and she still didn't fit correctly even though it claims it can be used for nb's. The complete air is like that too, and a few others.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #17
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

DDC crashing here, but I can't resist the Bucket vs. Convertible conversation, mostly because I wish I'd made a different choice! Here is my post from another thread in the general Pregnancy forum.

I'm am a die-hard babywearer and we never used our buckets except when bringing the baby into the house when we got home from town. I never ever ever carried the baby in it otherwise. I've always used slings or wraps for my babies for everywhere except in the car (even at home).

So this time around, I decided to go the convertible route. Since I wasn't going to be carrying the baby in a bucket it seemed silly to get one when I could get a birth-to-booster convertible for the same price. I got a True Fit Premier which is supposed to be good for newbs; they come with a newborn/infant insert that is really plush. LOVE the carseat, got another one for my almost-5yo too. They are really nice seats.

But. If I had to do it again, I'd get the bucket to start with. Nothing fits a newborn like a bucket (I've always used Graco Snugride). I didn't really like how Lola fit in her True Fit until she was around 2 weeks old; for reference, she was born at 7 lbs and by two weeks was almost 10 lbs, I think.

And, something I didn't think about is the HEAT. I'm in Oklahoma and this has been a horrendously hot summer for us and I would love to be able to buckle my newborn into a carseat that isn't scalding hot. If I had a bucket I could keep it in the nice cool house and not have that problem.

And really, buckets last my petite kids forever so I could have gotten a lot of use out of a new one. Now that she's 2.5 months old I can't justify getting one, though.

I mentioned the hot weather, but cold weather (for you Jan. mamas) would be the same thing. I seriously still wish I had a bucket, but there's no "practical" reason to get one at this point.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used the bucket a year with ds1 and for the next two only for the beginning. I don't like carrying bucket seats- I don't know if it's that I'm short, but no matter how I try to carry them, it is really awkward-bumping into my body etc. DS1 was a small baby and only 18 pounds at a year- even then it was hard for me to carry the seat. For the second two I only carried the seat from the house to the car and usually the kid was screaming by the time we pulled up to the house so I left the seat in the car.
Baby wearing is much easier for me- especially since I usually have to hold hands or carry another kid. We've had those winter things for the bucket seats, but we usually warm the vehicle up, or don't go out if it's that cold, which is rare here. I'm also small enough to climb into the back of the vehicle to baby wear- so the lo doesn't have to get out into the cold before being put into a carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeuhhh View Post
weve always used a convertible. i'll admit the bucket was tempting this year because this will be a winter baby, but we can't fit one in our forester. we ended up with a coccoro, which is tiny. the weight limit only goes up to 33 lbs though (i think). my 2.5 year old can still barely fit into it.

My 3 1/2 y/o is only 25 pounds. . .I remember looking at those when I was pregnant, but we were gifted a different seat. We need something small for DH's car. . .a Honda Civic.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #19
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:

foxy, i think the only reason why i got the coccoro is because it was the only thing that fit. i'd see if anything else fit before i got one, just because of the low weight limit (although like i said, my chubby 2.5 yo does fit in it, so hopefully we'll get at least a couple years outta it). when we're done with this, i plan to get another radian, assuming we still have the forester. the darn coccoros cost about two hundred bucks, blah!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #20
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aren't the corroco's kinda short too and grown out of by height pretty early as well?