Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
dustileigh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
49lbs and 49" - help?!

My niece is 49lbs. and 49" tall. My sister has had her in a backless booster, but DN will NOT stay in the seatbelt properly.

She knows that mess doesn't fly in my car, but she still tries to loosen the lap belt, stretch the shoulder belt, put it behind her back, etc. Every SINGLE time she pulls that junk, I pull the car over, read her the riot act, and tell her that if she can't follow the rules, she can't ride in my car.

Well, a week ago, we were in a pretty nasty accident where my RFed DS was perfectly fine and my DH and I are in horrible pain. I am still very emotionally raw from the accident and suffering some post traumatic type episodes.

Tonight, my sister and my DN were riding with us to have dinner, get ice cream, etc. in my new mini-van. My sister and DN were in the third row. I noticed DN acting a fool in her backless booster and I did what I usually do. My sister seemed almost totally unphased by what I said to DN.

She kept on doing it and kept on doing it, complaining about the strap hurting, etc. I finally just lost it and went off. I gave my sister a piece of my mind about how irresponsible she is with DN's carseat usage. She is sitting BESIDE her while this crap is going on. It was INFURIATING.

After I ranted, my sister asked me to show her more. I showed her everything I could find about booster misuse, how to determine if a child is mature enough to be boostered, etc. My sister showed DN a video of a crash dummy her size in a booster with just a lap belt.

My 7yr old niece is being totally defiant and obnoxious about her mother's newly discovered concern. Better late than never on my sister's part.

That being said, my sister now thinks that my niece needs to be harnessed again, since she clearly can't seem to get her mess together in a booster.

What are her options as far as seats? My DD is in a Britax Frontier (she's 42" and 43lbs.) so I'm sure one of those would work just fine for my niece- the price point is more of the problem there. If there is no other comparable seat, shoot, I will front the money to buy the seat, even though it will sting the wallet. If my sister is THIS on board with carseat safety, I don't want her to get discouraged.

Anything else out there that might be a good option?

Advertisement

http://www.wheresdusti.blogspot.com/
dustileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What about a Nautilus?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:44 AM   #3
Catalytic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 49lbs and 49" - help?!

Time for a spanking or two, IMO.

I would recommend a Britax Frontier, we had the precursor to them (Husky), and absolutely loved them. My sons rode in them until they were around 10.
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nautilus probably won't work at that height. My DS is about the same 49.5" and 48lbs - he does fit harnessed in DD's Maestro, but it's only til 50lbs. It might be a cheap enough solution temporarily, especially if she can then use it for a while as a full booster. Otherwise, I think it would have to be the expensive seats.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

This child does not need a Frontier, she needs a high back booster and some tough love. Mom has made her this kind of booster rider, Mom needs to fix it. IMO this is a parenting issue and the parent needs to step up and be a parent. A 7 year old is capable of being told the rules and being expected to follow them and if she cannot she should be punished (by whatever method mom punishes). When it comes to issues of life and death safety you cannot mess around and be a lazy parent.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

How about a high back booster and lock the seat belt so she can't move it once it's in? And then if her mom is on board about how she sits, there might be a good chance of her finally getting it. It'll be easier for the kid to learn if the lessons are consistent, and not just in your car. I think the child can be taught to sit properly, since was already taught it didn't matter.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Some vehicles and some boosters prohibit locking the seat belt on a child. You have to read your manuals.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
Some vehicles and some boosters prohibit locking the seat belt on a child. You have to read your manuals.
Yes. I meant to write that and got distracted and came back and forgot. Thanks!

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
dustileigh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good idea on the high back booster, ladies.

And I agree on the tough love, too- but it isn't my child and I can only control what happens in my vehicle. She has to be willing to take on the job of re-teaching DN how to ride properly restrained and I think she is. It will just be easier for her to do with a tool like a proper carseat.
http://www.wheresdusti.blogspot.com/
dustileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

A harnessed seat would do nothing to teach a child to sit properly, it would allow mom to not have to police how she rides. The high back booster is the best way to re-teach her for the long term.