Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #91
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Re: What my SIL said to me...

Haven't read the 10 pages of replies so responding to the OP...

Apparently yes, some people think this is OK A really good friend of mine made a comment to me about how when her DD1 was in pull ups she loved how she could wear the same pull up the whole day long--that they wouldn't change it until it was "down to her knees". I was horrified but too scared to say anything, even though it was a good friend.

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #92
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I don't really understand why that is "disgusting." My son sleeps almost exactly 12 hrs at night. I wouldn't want to use a diaper that only lasted 9, now would I? He isn't one of those babies who you can change in the middle of the night. He wakes up if a fly farts in his bedroom! Just because a diaper is advertised to last 12 hrs, I don't know why anyone would assume that was intended to advertise that you could use 2 diapers per day for your child. Clearly, it's intended for heavy wetters at night who are sleeping through the night.
My son is like this too!!
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #93
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNclothdiaperin'Momma View Post
This made me think about last week when my SIL came for a visit. She had changed her DD and about 10 mins later the baby was tugging at the diaper to be changed. DH said she looks wet you should change her. SIL told DH, I'm not going to change her EVERY (yes she stressed every) time she pees in a diaper. I was so proud of DH when he said, then you need to start PLing with her since she's so uncomfortable with it, she shouldn't have to sit in pee until you feel she's wet enough to change. He then offered her a CD from our bag that SIL just rolled her eyes at then went and put her DD to bed...In an already wet diaper! I was just shocked. SIL is a very well educated, higher income, overly clean, protective of her kid kinda person. I never would have guessed that she would knowingly let her DD sit in a wet diaper.
Yuck! i cant believe she put her kid to bed in a wet diaper.
ollie_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #94
zooanimalwrangler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that's just sad-that poor kid! I understand that some people can't afford diapers and end up doing this out of necessity so they can put food on the table. But doing it just to save a few pennies when you can afford to keep clean diapers on them...shame on you!
zooanimalwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #95
Geron Girls
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramaynot View Post
Yeah, when we use sposies (and cloth) we go through at least 6 a day and my DS is now 3...during our drive across the country, we changed at every stop (so every 2-3 hours) and he was wet everytime. I think the thing with sposies is that they are sometimes hard to tell how wet they are and because they are "feel dry" so instead of wasting a diaper they change less often. One small pee and it can be hard to tell - it is one of the things I hate about them with newborns when your supposed to be counting wet diapers. I can never tell if they are wet or not and how wet they are.
Interestingly enough back in the Elizabethan times they only changed every couple days and in pioneer days they would simply dry the wet diapers and reuse them. So stretching your diapers as long as possible is nothing new but still none the less...
THis so frustrated me in the hospital because he was peeing and eating tons but because it wasn't hitting this freaking little yellow strip that was supposed to turn color they kept thinking he wasn't going! I was even smelling the freaking things and couldn't tell. Then the diaper was sucking all the moisture out of his skin on top of it all. As soon as we got home I put him in cloth and cheered when I could see clearly the diaper was wet!
Geron Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #96
momtothebrothersOZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussiemariee

Sadly I could not. My husbands family has done so much criticizing of me to my DH that he has had to tell them to stop (mil told my DH to make me use sposies because she used cloth and it is just to hard)

I promised to keep my opinions to myself and not criticize her parenting choices. (however bad they may be)
DH should stand up for you and the choices you make for your family! Just because it was hard for her doesn't mean it's "too hard" for you! There's so many other more convenient options for cloth now. My mother was super critical of my switch to cloth until she saw how easy it was and how much $ we saved! Seriously, your SIL changes her kid 3 times a day and they're criticizing you? There's something wrong there. I wonder how she would feel if she had to sit in a wet saggy diaper for 8 hours?
Domestically challenged SAHM to my preemie Goobah (6/2/09) and perfectly "Average" Boba-Lou (12/18/10). One and only to my co-parent, Mike Crazy crunchy, CDing, EBFing, ERFing, Non-circing, Delayed Vaxing, co-sleeping, toddler-wearing, monster hunting, non-traditional family
momtothebrothersOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #97
alisonsjulejb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! Poor baby! I only go that long at night too! I can't believe he doesn't have rashes and irritation?!
alisonsjulejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #98
LittleLady8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by el's mama View Post
OMG!!!!!! A friend of mine was recently saying this EXACT thing. She said it's a "lie" that cloth saves you $$ over disposables because once they're a year you only need to change them "twice a day". WHAT?!?! I was calm about it and attempted to explain that babies should be changed every 2-3 hours, etc but she literally interrupted every sentence I tried to utter. I was shocked she would be so careless about diaper changes because she is very health conscious. It's so strange what people will to to save money and/or make their life easier. I'm appalled every time I think about it.

I'm sorry your SIL does this and I hope eventually she'll see how wrong it is.
What?! I couldn't have made that up! This thread is a little shocking to me! When we use sposies on vacation I think I change more often mainly bc I think they smell so bad! And it grosses me out when they 'grow' with urine.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:28 AM   #99
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I don't really understand why that is "disgusting." My son sleeps almost exactly 12 hrs at night. I wouldn't want to use a diaper that only lasted 9, now would I? He isn't one of those babies who you can change in the middle of the night. He wakes up if a fly farts in his bedroom! Just because a diaper is advertised to last 12 hrs, I don't know why anyone would assume that was intended to advertise that you could use 2 diapers per day for your child. Clearly, it's intended for heavy wetters at night who are sleeping through the night.
It's clear to YOU that they're intended for night.... That doesn't mean most of America will view them that way. Look at how many posts are in this thread with stories of parents only using a few diapers a day! Why is the commercial showing bouncy babies and toddlers running around, very much awake if this is a night time diaper? Advertising is VERY intentional and if they were truly intended for nighttime, they would show a sleeping baby in the commercial. You seem defensive mama but we aren't saying what you do is wrong. Putting a baby to bed in a dry sposie and letting them sleep all night is not a bad thing. If your son was uncomfortable, obviously he would wake up and want to be changed (esp since he's a light sleeper). We're disgusted that people are intentionally letting babies go HOURS without a diaper change during the day. I think most kids pee a lot more during the day than they do at night (I know my kids do). If they're sleeping through the night, they aren't taking in fluids so they aren't going to have an insanely soggy diaper on their bum for hours on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housefullofgirls View Post
Well maybe when these moms are elderly and in diapers there children will let them sit in there pee for hours(since they will be taught it's acceptable) and they will only change them 3 times a day and maybe those moms will think hmm maybe that doesn't feel so good.

BTW if a nursing home only changed a pt 3 times a day I bet you that would be deemed NEGLECT! Am I wrong??
You're SO right. It's tragic the way little ones can be mistreated. They don't have a voice and that makes them so vulnerable. I think you make a good point here and it's one my own dear mama has made. She postulated that if an elderly person were thirsty and denied a drink of water in order to stick to a schedule (the way many babies are denied breastmilk or formula in order to adhere to rigid feeding schedules), it would be considered neglect. Somehow with a baby it's considered "training" or not "spoiling" them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESMama View Post
When I hear those kind of things, I just hug my kids a little tighter...

I consider the opportunity to change my child as a gift. 3 minutes of one-on-one time with his smiley face and wriggly self. Plus, his dipes are so cute

Your boy is lucky to have a mama like you!! I agree. This time they're in diapers is fleeting. All too soon for me, my kids will be asking for the car keys and leading their own, busy lives. I can't think of anything I have going on that's more important than their comfort and safety.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 AM   #100
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's amazing that that kid hasn't had ammonia burn or a bacterial infection going that length of time between changes on a consistent basis. Through the night is one thing but ALL THE TIME?!! That could be considered neglect/abuse?! You may want to gently warn her about this bc she may not realize it.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote