Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Gotta love the freedom of ECing

We had a long day out today to church and then to the zoo and I really didn't want to drag along the big cloth diaper bag .

So, I left the diaper bag in the car and packed three hemp flats, a thirsties wrap and a few of dry cloth wipes into my small backpack purse. Little Bug (who isn't even a month old yet) started out in a hemp flat and a Loveybums cover when we left this morning around 10. I still had two flats left when we got home past 5 and we never had to change into the PUL! Which was good b/c it was an extremely hot day and I was very thankful she was in wool rather than in PUL or a sposie (as much as I love the convenience of disposables, I think they are with all the gel and plastic).

It's funny because I'm not this in tune with her when we're at home. I joke with DH that this one would bankrupt us if we did sposies and didn't EC because she would need more than 20 diapers every single day! I end up having only half that many flats to wash b/c of EC (working on getting that number smaller, but I don't EC at night unless she's really uncomfortable b/c I don't wake sleeping babies). The diapers I do have go into a single load with only a cold pre-rinse and then one cycle on hot with other whites thrown in.

Added bonus: since I carried her in the sling and we didn't even bring an umbrella stroller for Ladybug, we traveled as lightly as DINKs on a date I saw all the other moms at the zoo struggling with huge strollers and several bags and/or coolers. We packed our picnic lunch in a small cooler bag that we were then able to fold and stick in my backpack purse when we were done.

I hope I can maintain this sort of minimalism as we have more kids though . Either way, I'm enjoying the freedom while it lasts.

Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
mummy2monkey
Registered Users

Re: Gotta love the freedom of ECing

I wonder if it was because you carried her in the sling? I never got the hang of slings, but I carried my baby a lot, and pretty much always when out and I was always so in tune with her when holding her. We would often be more successful while out, quite often returning home in the same clean dry diaper.
mummy2monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Gotta love the freedom of ECing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy2monkey View Post
I wonder if it was because you carried her in the sling? I never got the hang of slings, but I carried my baby a lot, and pretty much always when out and I was always so in tune with her when holding her. We would often be more successful while out, quite often returning home in the same clean dry diaper.
I carry her quite a bit at home too and you're right there's a certain vibe that happens when a baby is being held, I just get lazy and don't want to put her on the potty when I'm in the middle of something (I'm a very laid back ECer). But, I also think babies probably do tend to "hold it" when being moved about.

Actually, we've had only a few misses each day now since I've posted that. She's gotten very adamant about letting me know that she needs to go and she won't take "no" for an answer and will start screaming until I put her on the potty even at night. It's funny, when I was ECing my daughter she was the same way: hated being wet and as soon as she figured out that there were other options to soiling herself she took advantage of them whether or not I was trying to be lazy .