Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
emmo
Registered Users
seller

Bleaching unbleached prefolds?

I just bought a dozen used GMD unbleached... I know unbleached dipes last longer... but some of them have a few light stains on them. Will sunning work on them? Otherwise, I will want to bleach them a little, but is that a really stupid idea to do to organic unbleached dipers?

I'm brand new to CD- haven't even started yet.

Advertisement

emmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
GreenOwlet
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Bleaching unbleached prefolds?

Sunning might work better than bleach if they are old stains.
But bleaching them won't hurt them. Its not like you are pouring it straight on the fabric.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Try sunning them first! If that doesn't work use some bleach- I used some bleach on some old nonbleached indian prefolds and they were fine! Or you could try a vinegar/oxyclean soak.

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
emmo
Registered Users
seller

K, I will sun and see what happens. Just wanted to make sure I didn't do something stupid.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
lauramaynot
Registered Users
seller
seller

IME stains come out a little bit more each time you wash them so they will fade with use. Of course if they are from FSOT I would do a couple tablespoons of bleach just to sanitize them before using them on my LO. Occasional bleach doesn't hurt anything but excessive use will cause them to wear out faster, so I prefer to sun when I can.

I will say that my unbleached diapers are sunned every couple of weeks and they are almost as white as my bleached are at this point (after 2 years of use) so the unbleached sorta get bleached over time anyway
Samuel Sluder 16 Sarah Rose 14 Adam Frank 13 Eliza Gray 6 Benjamin Elias 4 Alice Catherine 1 And #7 coming Aug 2013
lauramaynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
emmo
Registered Users
seller

OK, I sunned them and it worked! cool! But, when I brought them in, hey had this smell to them.. I dunno if it's the fabric or a chemical in the fabric or what. It doesn't smell like ammonia or poo. It's like the sun brought out some kind of weird chemically fabric-ey smell. Or is that what old ammonia smells like? Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? I think I'll wash them with a little bleach next to get them good and clean.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have both bleached and unbleached, and I notice that the unbleached have a little different smell when I air dry or sun them. I don't hesitate to use a little bleach on occasion, so I'd make sure they are good and clean, and the smell may just be the unbleached fibers. I don't really notice it when I dry them in the dryer.